electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
a clock divide idea
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: a clock divide idea Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...perhaps this is some known techniqe. i was visualizing the sound of a bari sax or cello (or even a 303), where you can hear the pitch, and you can hear individual "beats" in the sound.

the idea here is to clock divide the audio signal, and use that clock to switch the audio channel on and off. perhaps this qualifies as a use of a ring modulator? it runs on the demo...i get some crackling now and then, but i think it is the demo, not the patch (i haven't loaded it on the engine yet). it's 1.4. use the variations to change the clock divide value (the only thing changing).
deknow

clockdivideexp.pch2
 Description:
updated!!!! i uploaded the wrong version at first

Download
 Filename:  clockdivideexp.pch2
 Filesize:  1.62 KB
 Downloaded:  1889 Time(s)

deknow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

please download the updated file....i hadn't pasted into the variations properly.

deknow
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: a clock divide idea Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
...perhaps this is some known techniqe.

Don't know about that, but I recently used it in a noodle more or less, not for direct gating but as a means to get a beat pattern related to the notes played.

I thought it to be interesting to toy with the dividers to see when tone gets beat.

Made a little variation as well :

clockdivideexp_2.pch2
 Description:
a variation on the clockdiveexp as made by deknow

Download
 Filename:  clockdivideexp_2.pch2
 Filesize:  1.81 KB
 Downloaded:  2490 Time(s)

deknow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, i have often suspected (but never experemented with) that tempo and tonal center are connected. i was under the impression that the 2 takes of strawberry fields were recorded at differant tempos and differant keys with no mind to slow one down and combine them. i think i've read more recently that this was the plan all along, but perhaps someone else knows....anyways, for a long time i thought this was evidence of tempo and key being related.

when i cycle through the clock divide values (not the variations, but manualy with the divide module one by one), the melody reminded me of something, and i just realized that it is a vending machine at our local chinese resturant/sushi bar/japanese habachi/cover band bar...the kind with a grappling hook that you have to manuver over the prize you want (yet it never seems to pick anything up). i'll try to get a recording, but it's clearly some sequential clock divide.

deknow
deknow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, here is a little doodle where almost every aspect of the patch is controlled by clock divided oscillator (audio rate). it's not labled, slightly disorganized...but it's also not complicated.

i again did this in the demo....just drag the virtual keyboard open so you have a wide range to play with and have fun. the wavetable oscilator, square sub oscillator, and percussion sequencer all work off the master pitch.

deknow

thegreatdivide.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  thegreatdivide.pch2
 Filesize:  2.38 KB
 Downloaded:  1944 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental