electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Patch technique
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
nbozic

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Patch technique Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

What is the technique called that's equivalent to the Roland "Slicer" effect? (I hear this type of technique a lot in Trance music.)
How would you make the patch for the G2?
If you're not sure what I'm talking about, click on this sound file: http://www.clavia.se/G2/G2_teaser.mp3.
The file is from the clavia website, and at about the 16 second mark a lead slowly starts to transition in, which sounds like it's being "sliced".
I tried to contact the Clavia guys temselves but they never answered...

Thanks,

NB
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome nbozic to electro-music.com

I listened to the track, to me it sounds like a sequence maybe made by Dasz followed by Ake Dalielson playing his guitar patch. So it are two pieces that have been faded into each other after recording.

I may be wriong of course :-)

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...i think what you are looking for is gating a sound.

here is a quick one i put together. the event sequencer (at the bottom of the note sequencer) defines when the gate will be open (sound let through). the envelope generator has a vca built into it, so the each event triggers the envelope, and lets the sound through while the envelope is open.

try pressing the "drone" button. this is all the sound being generated without gating.

you can also use a divided clock or other trigger for the gating.

a common (i think) techniuqe in trance is to have a heavy bass drone that is gated opposite the kick drum (the volume of the bass drone is turned down when the kick happens)...this can be done easily with a compressor and sidechain (this gives that "boom wahhh boom wahhh" effect...it can be used with other sounds other than bass as well).
deknow

slicer.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  slicer.pch2
 Filesize:  1.61 KB
 Downloaded:  1614 Time(s)

deknow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is a trance side chain thingy
deknow

trancesidechain.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  trancesidechain.pch2
 Filesize:  1.6 KB
 Downloaded:  1693 Time(s)

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not one of my mp3's. It's Ake's stuff.

/Dasz
nbozic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! Big thanks for the patch attachments Very Happy - I'll check them out when I get off work!
deknow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....they will run on the g2 demo software...no need to wait until after work if your boss isn't around Smile

deknow
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Varying the gate time on every third note. For a more elaborate version see http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=3618

This one requires tweeking the delay times when you change the tempo Rolling Eyes

cutter.pch2
 Description:
trance cutter

Download
 Filename:  cutter.pch2
 Filesize:  1.9 KB
 Downloaded:  1574 Time(s)

nbozic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, here's what I've got so far. It sounds pretty close to the actual Roland Silcer effect, but it seems as if there's something missing... I'm not sure.

NB

nb_slicer2.pch2
 Description:
A sliced trance lead. I used one of the preset patches from G2 (3 Filter) and added a few additional modules to make the sound "sliced". The added modules are in Gray color.

Download
 Filename:  nb_slicer2.pch2
 Filesize:  3.68 KB
 Downloaded:  1053 Time(s)

dasz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice work! glad you posted your 1st patches ...

I think you just need to fatten it up ... add chorus, flange, short delays (feeding back into the mixer, heh heh Smile ) ...

Let me know if you need more explanation (PM).
/Dasz
nbozic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Dasz. Yes, it definitely needs more fine tuning to give it the professional quality.
I'm glad I got it to work, because at first I didn't know if it was possible to accomplish on the G2... and if I needed to buy an external effects processor.
I should have known better - everything is possible with the G2! Very Happy
dasz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, ah, yes and no.

a. yes, add more finalizing stuff, to fatten up is to go into one direction (exploration wise).

or

b. no, explore the sound generation circuit, bend it, add this here, see what it can do. worry about fattening it up later.

I started with b. a long time ago, and have been combining b and some a since g2 came out. but i do need more a.

If you start with a. it will be easier to make tracks, but your synth-groove-design will suffer. if you start with b. you have too many ideas and its hard to put a track together.

I guess a mix of both is the way to go.

External effects? i agree, no need, unless you want a particular "sound". except for mastering Smile

Almost everything is possible with the G2. IF you want more, for that you need a computer language and/or max/msp.
/Dasz
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="deknow"]....they will run on the g2 demo software...no need to wait until after work if your boss isn't around Smile

deknow[/quote
Hmm, where have I heard that one before Smile
deknow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Hmm, where have I heard that one before

cappy, if you are anything like me (and i know you are), there are several voices inside your head that say this kind of thing all the time!

deknow
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, where have I heard that one before

cappy, if you are anything like me (and i know you are), there are several voices inside your head that say this kind of thing all the time!

deknow

and recently too
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=boss+key&t=9591
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This "slicing" thing you are doing is very cool. This is a bit like what brass instrument players call tonguing; to separate or articulate (notes played on a brass or wind instrument) by shutting off the stream of air with the tongue. This is how they play repeated 16ths and 8ths.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: