electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Stereo Patches
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Stereo Patches Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone else seem to spend a lot of their time patching stereo things?

It's quite annoying having to waste lots of morphs just to be able to map the same knob on L + R channels.

It would be great to have a mono stereo toggle on modules. I do everything in stereo.

steve

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, definitely when I use the G2 as an effect processor. Stereo is a must then, and can be annoying to patch...
monobass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be great if there was some kind of virtual solution.. you create a mono patch for the L channel and an instance for the R channel is spawned.. but then really you want stereo modules for control.

It wasn't such a big deal on the NM.. but it's obviously something lacking on the G2 with the capabilities of the new feature set.

of course it's nice to have the same modules with slight offset values to make a nice stereo field.. but not always.

if there were more morphs available it wouldn't be so bad either Smile

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn right! More morphs and more morph parameters would be great.

In the meantime, constant modules hooked up to the mod inputs will have to do. Luckily most of the stuff I use for stereo audio processing for has mod inputs.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds like the right solution could be a new "stereo" cable type. And a mono to strereo, and stereo to mono converters would take care of the rest.
monobass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
sounds like the right solution could be a new "stereo" cable type. And a mono to strereo, and stereo to mono converters would take care of the rest.

hmm thats a great idea.

dasz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's consistent.
monobass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and far too useful for clavia to consider Smile
dasz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

remember they are a small shop (not roland or yamaha) and they carry 4 product families and priorities --- these guys can't work overtime all the time ...

so i'm sure they're considering this, but that may be all that it ends up being -- a consideration

/Dasz
monobass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Quote:

remember they are a small shop (not roland or yamaha) and they carry 4 product families and priorities --- these guys can't work overtime all the time ...

so i'm sure they're considering this, but that may be all that it ends up being -- a consideration

/Dasz

yeah I was talking more about their general dislike of meta or user created 'object' type things... or structural concepts which don't exist in a 'real' analogue modular.

dasz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

understood. this stereo cord idea is not something unfamilliar to real modulars (except that most will use it as a mono calbe Wink)

/Dasz
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For most of the stereo patches I make, I don't think the stereo patch cable & stereo version of the module idea would work. For example, there are lots of ways to implement DIY stereo delays, like ping-pong patching versus separate L & R delays with independant time & feedback controls. Or stereo phase shifters with separate controls. You need two individual modules with separate L & R controls to make these patches work.

But the original post was about the problem of using up all the morph groups to control stereo patches, and I have found that there are usually ways to control these patches without using any morph groups. Typical methods would be sending the same control signal to two control inputs on a pair of modules configured in stereo, or by using pairs of VCAs to control the levels of separate CV sources routed to separate stereo destinations but modulating both VCAs from one common Constant module. The only time you would have to use a Morph would be for modules that are configured as a stereo pair and that do not have a modulation input for the parameter you want to affect. Chorus rate and reverb time are the two I run into a lot, but I hardly ever run into anything else that requires using the Morphs.

Last edited by davep on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
monobass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah those are good points. I guess I use the G2 as an effector on stuff a lot where the 'stereo-ness' is in the acutal input signal.. rather than the G2 producing stereo effects.

It's a good point about using constant modules though, I should do that more.

dasz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dave,

good point. some modules would suffer from "stereo" cable type. but some modules could be mono(input) only (like chorus). if you fed a stereo signal it would L+R sum a mono signal for processing. thus the convert modules for changing the connector type.

btw, i also use the constant module a hell-of-a-lot for such things as stereo processing among other things.

ok, have to get some more patches ready for NordWest06!
/Dasz

ps.: Dave, remember the intense patch (chaos) i played at the clavia booth on sunday? well more from that family are being made for NordWest06!
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...i haven't really dealt with polyphony on the nord, but wouldn't it be possible to use the voice number on the status module and do 2 voices output as a stereo pair?

deknow
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
wouldn't it be possible to use the voice number on the status module and do 2 voices output as a stereo pair?

Thats an interesting idea.
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great thread folks!
Good points on both sides.
Both have great value.
I love doing things with the stereo delays like Dave mentions with separate things going on with L&R but for basic other patching it can be somewhat cumbersome. I find myself at the end stage of a patch lets say
struggling at times to make the output stereo. The chorus module is useful for this I suppose among many other possible solutions.
I find myself constantly re-patching such things. Not to mention sync options but that is another topic indeed...
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I patch I often end up having a branch point, after which two separate trails of identical modules transport the sound towards the L and R outputs respectively, with constant modules attached where I would like to modify the values. If only to save space in the editor, a stereo cable would be welcome.

/Stefan (reading old threads after being away from e-m for a while)

3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
...i haven't really dealt with polyphony on the nord, but wouldn't it be possible to use the voice number on the status module and do 2 voices output as a stereo pair?

deknow

shure ..thats possible... but you need an aditional midi zone module to achive that 2 voices are trigered when you play one key..the whole patch needs to be 2 voice polyphonic...with more voices we run into the trouble that on the nord the keynumber is responsible for selecting the next voice.

An area where clavia could improove the G2 a lot by making it more predictable when which voice appears..an alternative alocation mode would be usefull..aswell as a module that extracts/adresses a specific voice..
And the notesequencer should get a polyphonic memory that relates to the programmed voice count... with an aditional parameter that selects and displays a certain voice memory... with a control input we would have a multipattern sequencer in monophon mode than...
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
...wouldn't it be possible to use the voice number on the status module and do 2 voices output as a stereo pair?

If you connect the Status module's Voice no. output to a SeqCtr's Ctr input, you can get voice independant control over panning, or some other parameters. Not completely sure if that's what you're talking about, but I've added a small patch which shows this.

Stereo voices.pch2
 Description:
Stereo modulation of individual voices.

Download
 Filename:  Stereo voices.pch2
 Filesize:  1.49 KB
 Downloaded:  1121 Time(s)

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week