electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Rays WSG working on 15 volt supply + maybe a new mod ?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Rays WSG working on 15 volt supply + maybe a new mod ?
Subject description: fruity mod
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As i have seen the question asked i thought i would try running the WSG on 15 v and see how it handled it
answer no real problems at all,barring a higher output and sounding quite a bit dirtier but something else quite cool also showed up
when i hooked up the WSG to my bench supply and started to crank up the volts
I expected the output to be higher which it did, no surprise there
what i didn't expect however was that all the oscilators would change freq with the supply voltage
so a maybe a new control has been invented which if i am the first to do this i would like to name fruity
first i tried a 10k pot on the supply this gave me a range of 4.5 v to 15 v
no problems played with it for hours then even better i added a vactrol in parallel to the pot hooked up via a CV circuit this gave me about 7 volts of variation with the pot set to give around 6.5 volts from 4v to 11v
obviously as the pot is set higher the vactrol has less of an effect and no effect at all with the pot all the way over so i added a 475 ohm in series with the pot just the first thing i grabbed really, this is still very cool,providing a slight warble. add a momentary switch to bypass and provide straight 15 v is also very cool as there is a strong glide in volume and freq in both directions i have run this all day with no problems barring the very high output at a supply of 15 volts which you need to be mindful of.
Zodiak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice discovery, but it does make sense.

The oscillator will switch when the voltage on the timing cap reaches 2/3 (?) of the supply rail voltage. The capacitor will still charge at the same rate as before but if the voltage is higher it will take longer to reach 2/3 so the frequency would go down Laughing At least that's what I would expect.

diablojoy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes that would be logical but from what i can see testing is showing the opposite reaction
freq is higher with higher voltage on all oscillators and lower when lower volts applied dies off completely at around 4.5 volts which is about where i would expect it to become too unstable to work
so 5 volts to 15 volts seems to be a good working range.
also replacing the 475 ohm with around 1k + in front of the pot is better for the momentary switch operation gives a more definite boost when applied
diablojoy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a sample of the effect
first couple are varying supply voltage from about 5v to 15 volts
followed by pressing the momentary switch
various different settings follow
enjoy

wsg fruity mod sound test Rendered.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wsg fruity mod sound test Rendered.mp3
 Filesize:  1.74 MB
 Downloaded:  1240 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: