electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Sequencer - interactive
G2 / MPC sample slicer (w/ mp3 clips)
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: G2 / MPC sample slicer (w/ mp3 clips) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

made a simple 'sample slicer' for use w/ the Akai MPC-2000xl. as velocity can be used to alter the sample start point on the MPC, this is a very fun way to chop samples rhythmically in real-time. i'm thinking this could easily be adapted to any sampler that offers control over start point by midi cc as well, just by switching out the appropriate midi module.

i'd posted the following to another forum conversation, so it reads a bit funny...

-----------------------------
just came up w/ the prime solution this afternoon for doing real-time sample 'slicing' on the MPC using the sequencers in the Nord Modular G2.

i've been doing real-time stutters for a few years on my Akai s612, which actually has sliders for adjusting the sample's start/end point. an amazing secret weapon, it was used to great effect on my track '012 (introvert)' on my http://www.soundclick.com/Lank page. the sliders are pretty screwed up now, it emits horrible digital squeals when adjusting - kind of cool in it's own right (and even nice to play with using the s612's filter), but it's confirmably broken.

while i've never really come close to the real-time modulation ability until today, stutter effects like these mentioned here are obtainable on the MPC w/ a little effort. (actually you can do this easily using any sampler that can assign a midi cc to the sample start point, but the method is a little different.) on the MPC-2000xl you can modulate the sample start point w/ velocity (i'm guessing that this is available on the other models as well?), which will trigger the sample at a different point depending on the velocity level. it's usually best to turn off the velocity/level setting at this point. a simple example would be to use the note repeat function to retrigger a sample while applying varying amounts of pressure to the pad. the variation slider can be used at the same time to change the decay of the sample as well. or you could sequence a string of 16th notes or something at full velocity, then go back and edit each event for the desired effect on playback.

i've never been truly happy w/ this though and have been thinking of how i could go about doing something more interesting. i didn't want to buy a sampler that could assign start point to midi cc just for something like this, so i figured out something truly nice by using the G2. by using one of it's step sequencers, i set up a 16th-note sequence that syncs to the MPC's incoming clock and sends a different velocity value on each step to an assigned sample in the MPC. for the usual stutter retrigger effect you would set all values to the same point. each value can be changed in real-time using knobs on the G2, which retriggers the sample at a different point. it also has a 'random' button which changes all the start points for each step instantly, and a velocity amount knob which basically changes the value for each step globally. as it behaves as a usual analog-style step sequencer, any step in the sequence can be turned on or off while it's running. it actually operates much like any x0x-style sequencer, though you can only control eight steps at once on the front panel of the G2. i've found it's not too hard to time it correctly so that i can switch to the next page to do stuff like quickly going from 1/8 to 1/16th notes. it'll be easy to program the BCR-2000 to take care of this either way. swing percentage is variable from 50-75%. a couple other great things that aren't so easy for me to explain and would be better heard in an example are the ability to change the number of steps in the sequence (which turns out very cool stuff as the sequence is programmed to always restart on the first beat coming from the MPC) and the number of beats that the sequence is set to play before it restarts. i haven't added any envelopes or LFOs yet, but they might add something good.

finally got a couple samples posted. not extremely satisfied w/ them, but they do get the point across. it really depends on what you're using for source samples, and there just wasn't much happening on AM radio at 2am this morning. did some very quick electro(?) and minimal 4/4(?) backings just for something to work over, didn't put too much thought into it. let me know how it sounds, they sounded ok on my monitors/headphones but now on headphones through the pc it's way bass heavy. the 'electro' track is lower in volume also. let me know what you think...

Sample Slicer.pch2
 Description:
real-time rhythmic sample chopper for MPC, etc...

Download
 Filename:  Sample Slicer.pch2
 Filesize:  1.18 KB
 Downloaded:  2176 Time(s)

Unfed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mp3 example in a fun electro style...

edit: sorry, had to delete the file. -j.

Last edited by Unfed on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Unfed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mp3 example in a fun minimal 4/4 style...

hmm, won't let me post the mp3. i must need to delete some other files i have posted. please hold...

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..very cool effect (not possible on the mpc 1k until the next upgrade i think). i also have an s612 in the studio because of the sliders.

deknow
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice mp3. I like that effect. Good one. Thanks... cheers banana dancing dancing props
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Woah, I missed this one! I didn't even know you could assign sample start to velocity on the 2kxl Shocked

Thanks heaps for this one Very Happy Cool
W.T.

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

where is the mp3 Question
Unfed

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry about that, i took the mp3s off to make space for some others. there's a limit to how much you can have posted at one time. they do sound pretty neat though, i'll try to have them back up soon. also, this can now be done on the MPC1000 with the new OS installed...

EDIT: just noticed that this post is over a year old.

W.T.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hope to hear them soon Very Happy
Unfed

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here they are again (had to re-encode them), sorry the one is so much lower in volume. they're quite basic examples, i just sampled a bit of speech from the radio at the moment then 'played' the G2 sequencer while muting midi and drum tracks in/out on the MPC. the cuts are at straight 16th notes, so it sounds pretty 'Art of Noise'-ish. could be set up to precisely chop breakbeats in real-time if needed. this can be modified for use with pretty much any sampler than permits external control of the sample start point. if it accepts midi CC, just switch out the midi send module. i'd be interested to see what someone else might be able to come up with based off this simple patch, i'll be working on a new version soon to work with my E-mu sampler.

-justin.

Lank - stutter 4-4.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Lank - stutter 4-4.mp3
 Filesize:  7.17 MB
 Downloaded:  1296 Time(s)

Lank - stutter break.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Lank - stutter break.mp3
 Filesize:  7.03 MB
 Downloaded:  1183 Time(s)

W.T.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great Exclamation

makes me wanna buy a hardwaresampler again.

verry Cool
Unfed

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool. actually, i think it should work fine with a software sampler as well if it's able to modulate sample start, etc via midi CCs.
bigrob

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: .pch2? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,

Really like those examples... I have an MPC-1000 and I'm not sure what a pch2 file is. Can I install it?

Thanks.

R
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome bigrob.

Pch2 files are patches for the Clavia Nord Modular G2 synth. See http://www.clavia.se for general info, and this forum of course Very Happy

There is a demo version available which emulates the synth on a computer, but unfortunately it's not able to process external audio.

Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Sequencer - interactive
Jump to: