electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
electro-music 2007 in Europe?
Page 2 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Anyway- I think me and Stein want to have a festival at Port Merion first Wink

No, not just kiddin'!!!
I want to run on that beach being rolled over by a big balloon!!!

Wout
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... this is a lot to digest in one sitting.

May I have a gin tonic, and some espresso.. right now.. ??

Hello??

Shocked

Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
SPIKE the Percussionist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what if the E-M festival moved around in the US?

kinda like the Convergence Festival.
kkissinger

Audio files: 29

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi. Since I am planning to attend electro-music 2007 and I live in Missouri, a United States location would be easier to manage.

To alternate festivals between the US and Europe is a great idea as long as the festival organizers are in a position to delegate rather than risking burn-out from two festivals per year.

I would consider attending in Europe however cannot commit to such a trip now.
dmosc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: electro-music 2007 location Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

abwajdyk wrote:
I vote for staying at the Cheltenham Art Center for at least another year, but then my reasons are very personal. I live a few minutes away and would not be able to attend if it were held in any other city.

I also feel that the community is beginning to coalesce and moving it now would be a mistake. Rather than using energies to have two events, I think we need to use our collective brains and connections and do better publicity.

I strongly agree with this sentament.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Folks,

Having done 2 small events,

NordWest 2006 in Seattle, USA
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-12004.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-11075.html

and

NordWest 2005 in Vancouver, Canada
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-7357.html

I feel electro-music should stay where it is -- that is Philly, USA. A separate European event is a great idea for those who cannot make it to the USA event. This was also the idea behind NordWest -- for those who could not attend the philadelphia EM2005/2006 event.

I know this is expensive for some of us who want to attend both, but it is cheaper for others(thus the potential for more attendees is greater) if we keep it local thus it is easier to attend the event which is closer to you (geographically). It may mean smaller groups, but smaller groups have their advantages.

Having said that, I would certainly want to attend the Euro EM event as there are a number of folks I would really like to meet in person -- ditto for the USA one! I think 2 events would make each year more full vs just one (or 2 if you count NordWest).

Just my $0.02CDN worth!
/Dasz

memedesigner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Europe sounds cool, but please pick a city that has an international airport (eg London, but not Cambridge pls) and one that is cool & vibrant... so some options that come to mind are London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Barcelona, and certainly Helsinki.

My vote would go to Berlin. It's pretty happening city, in electro music scene and otherwise, and also, least expensive of the lot.
RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let's not overlook the electro-music premise: to build community and that community deserves it's shot abroad as well.
I admit, I too felt abandoned to think there would be no EM07 next Spring in Philly but I'm not confident that is the case. Regardless, I support Howard and Greg's decision to take the festival to anywhere the please. Just don't forget us tweekers, noodlers, beatkidz and satellite trackers back here stateside.

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
May I have a gin tonic, and some espresso

....is that a new drink?

deknow
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RFBB wrote:
I support Howard and Greg's decision to take the festival to anywhere the please...

what makes a music festival an electro-music festival Question we need a definition.
is it this one Question
Howard wrote:
concerts, jam sessions, lectures, demos, circuit bending, vintage gear - whatever. These are not "shows" but conferences. We ususally hold them for three days and it is best that performers stay for all three days - not show up to perform and leave.

what about a smaller, regional, one day event Question would it qualify as electro-music festival Question

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:

what makes a music festival an electro-music festival Question we need a definition.

The definition is implicitly defined by the actual organizer, it is as simple as that.

There have now been a series of eight events that are linked together. It started in 1999 in The Hague, initiated by Wout Blommers. In the year 2001 it was held in a former Royal Palace in The Hague and it was such a nice event that it was decided by Wout and me that we couldn't top it again, so maybe someone else should organize the next event. The idea was picked up by Per Villez and he organized it for two years in London at Thames Valley University. Mosc attended the second event in London when he was just setting up electro-music. As Per left TVU in 2003, Wout Blommers decided to once again organize something in The Hague in 2004 and Mosc attended again. That was when Mosc decided to organize something in the US and link it to electro-music. Of course the 2005 and 2006 events got lots of coverage on electro-music, while the previous six events only remain as memories in the minds of the attendants. Still, me thinks that this series of eight annual events has already become a tradition.

Having attended seven of these events myself and being the co-organizer of four of them, it has become very clear to me that each event is very much defined by the location. Each of the five locations used in the past was very different from the other ones and this always reflected in the program. What Mosc and Greg organized in the Cheltenham Arts Centre fitted this location perfectly, but another location would ask for a different approach to the program.

All past locations have their strong points and their weak points. An important issue is the lodging. Up to now this has been given little attention by the organizers, every attendee just had to find a hotelroom or place to sleep themselves. Meaning that the costs of attendance was for the main part travelling costs and lodging costs. It is an interesting idea to investigate if a 2007 event could be organized in a place where there is both room for the event and room for lodging for all the attendees. And a place with atmosphere. In Europe it is not that hard to find such a place, as there are e.g. old mansions and castles that have been converted to hotels/conference buildings. The ones located in big cities are invariably unaffordable, but outside big cities there are some places that are very affordable in a way that lodging would be about 15 to 20 euro/dollar p.p. a night for a bedroom and also offer possibilities for cheaper group accomodation or camping on the facilities. Of course such a place should be located close to public transport, e.g. a train station should be near by and it should be within one hour drive from a main international airport. An example of an area of interest is the Belgium Ardennes. This area is centrally located between the Benelux area, the German Ruhr area and the area between Paris and Belgium. It has the Bruxelles international airport close by and there are trains and highways from all directions. And there are very cheap flights from the UK, Ireland, Italy and Spain to Bruxelles (EasyJet, RyanAir, etc.). The Ardennes has beautiful nature and possibilities for extra outdoor activities. One of the advantages of this area is that people that travel from far can easily combine the trip with e.g. a visit to Paris or other places of interest.

This suggestion has nothing to do with the program itself, but strives to investigate 'added value' that would make it much more worthwhile for people to take a long trip to attend a 2007 event.

What is your opinion about this idea?

/Rob
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:

What is your opinion about this idea?

your suggestions are correct and valuable. I would like to organize something in Italy, near Florence (Florence is half way the Italian booth). I think I could have the right place but because I think putting together something like a 3 day international festival is quite an achievement and I have never done anything like that before I would prefer trying something simpler like a smaller, regional, one day event, for example, as a test to see how it goes and keep going from there. Consider, for example, the language problem. Maybe in the Netherlands having conferences only in English would not be a problem but here you would certainly need a translator if you want to be able to get the attention beyond the inner circle of electro-musicians.

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electro-music events are distinguished more by their philosophy than the specifics of their incarnations. Whatever the history, the basic philosophy of electro-music.com is inclusivity. Thus, I think what Seraph quoted about the inclusivity and the participation must be the basis of future electro-music events.

... concerts, jam sessions, lectures, demos, circuit bending, vintage gear - whatever. These are not "shows" but conferences.

There is no requirement that the events be any length. I would like to see people organize electro-music events all over the world.

Use electro-music.com to organize, publisize, and document the electro-music events. Live streaming is very important so the events can be shared globally.

One of my favorite electro-music events was the New Years Eve party/concert we held via streaming. We had live music from Mozambique, Protugal, Germany Sweeden, Germany, England, Pennsylvania, Massachusettes, and California. Maybe not as stong as the experience we had in Philly, but I did feel a stong sense of community with those that participated.

Some events in or near big cities will attract non-insiders, what we sometimes call an audience. This is great. We need to reach out and include people. That is one of the best aspects of the Philly events. It is also possible to have events that are more like retreats or meetings. A place like a Castle or Lodge that Rob is talking about may be appropriate for that kind of thing. There is a time an place for these too.

Anyway, there are many possibilities for electro-music events.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Anyway, there are many possibilities for electro-music events.

Exactly!

The point is simple, actually organizing something is a lot of work and a lot of adaptation to the local circumstances. It is impossible to have one single blueprint that any organizer should adhere to. Instead, an organizer should simply try to make the best of the possibilities a certain location has to offer.

Absolutely the best thing that comes out of these events is the friendships that people develop. An event is the perfect location to meet and make new friends and I've seen this happen all the time. For this it doesn't really matter thát much if the emphasis is on performances or workshops or lectures, as long as there is also the time to share food and drinks and good laughs. The great thing up to now has been that each attendee shares in this equally, no matter if they are in the program or not. This emphasizes equality: no matter who or what you are or what you do, everyone is an equally important part of the event.

From that angle it is only good if there are local events, that might each be very different from other events.

Organization is not really difficult, but it is a lot of work and needs full commitment. It definitely works best when two or three persons do the actual organization for an event, for several reasons. Organization by one person is not recommended, unless you want to cater for maybe only ten to twelve people. But when going for fifty or hundred and fifty people its recommended to form a small group of key people to do the organization. Some might do a lot of work and others might only act as a sounding board, that's all okay.

I guess the NW USA meetings are a very good example, though I didn't attend myself and so can't really say much about it. Plus that meeting in Germany. Small local events that were all well received. Its like what women say: seize doesn't matter as long as it rocks... Wink

/Rob
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Consider, for example, the language problem. Maybe in the Netherlands having conferences only in English would not be a problem but here you would certainly need a translator if you want to be able to get the attention beyond the inner circle of electro-musicians.

As an organizer it is best to make a choice who your primary audience will be, electro-musicians, non-electro-musicians or a mix. Only electro-musicians makes everything a lot easier, a mix makes things quite complicated. If you think you could easily do something for only electro-musicians it is totally okay to do so. But if you feel like doing something real big and tricky then you could go for the mix. If you go for non-electro-musicians as the primary audience you absolutely need to do your publicity right (= expenses!). Instead, for a 'basically only electro-musicians event' it probably suffices to advertise on electro-music.com only (= no expenses).

So, my advice would be that you just check what you think you could actually do, take ten percent less for safety, and do it. Fat chance it will work out and be a success. Me, for one, would like to see Florence again, especially when the weather is mild and there is not too many tourists around.

Btw, a two day event seems ideal for a group of about twenty to thirty people including a few from abroad. But it depends a lot from the seize of the location, it is best if it is filled for at least 60% ('easy going' atmosphere) up to like 90% (starts to feel crowded and slightly stressy).
And be sure that you can give good advice for both cheap and somewhat more luxurious lodging for the people that make a long trip to attend. That will be much appreciated.

Just go ahead!
/Rob
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
    ... concerts, jam sessions, lectures, demos, circuit bending, vintage gear - whatever. These are not "shows" but conferences.

Or workshops.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, workshops too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
renevanderwouden

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this is a very good idea. But please not in the month of April because there're 2 organizing parties of festivals here who want to organize their version of a EM-festival.

Maybe you can contact some organizers in Britain. They organize these events too and with a lot of enthousiasm. It's called the Awakenings ambient concert series. Here's the website: http://www.ambientlive.com/awakenings/

Network and friends http://www.myspace.com/reworecords | http://www.myspace.com/renevanderwouden | http://www.facebook.com/renevanderwouden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You guys are spoiled with so many festivals in Europe! (sigh) I wish we had as many here.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
renevanderwouden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
You guys are spoiled with so many festivals in Europe! (sigh) I wish we had as many here.

Yes, they seem to have less quality than electro-music 2006. I really hope that the organisation can manage coming to Europe.

Network and friends http://www.myspace.com/reworecords | http://www.myspace.com/renevanderwouden | http://www.facebook.com/renevanderwouden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Yorky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When we started Awakenings the idea was to begin with concerts and then expand into 'conferences'

Before Awakenings it was AL2K1, AK2K2 etc one of which was a 2 day event in Denver CO

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:

???

Oh come on! Festivals are run by people. They don't magically appear from nowhere Wink

Do a festival in your own town! My father did one two years running dedicated to early English choral music in Brighton.

Two friends of ours- Lisa and Jenny came up with the idea of doing metal and electronica nights here in Birmingham. Now their little festival has turned into a monster and is hailed to be like a mini Sonar for the UK.

www.capsule.org.uk/

It's as simple as that Smile

Tom Smile

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
renevanderwouden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes you're right about starting a Festival in your own town, but it's also nice if people team up and do something together.

I did for John (Yorky) some research here in NL about venue's for the Awakenings. I wrote to several of them with the kind question if it was possible for 1 or 2 nights. None of them replied to me.

In Belgium there's more response. Especially in the town of Gent things are done succesfully.

renevanderwouden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So if the organization teams up with the people in the UK, you have got electro-music 2007.

In the Netherlands it will be difficult now for several reasons. A pity that is.

Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Mohoyoho wrote:

???

Oh come on! Festivals are run by people. They don't magically appear from nowhere Wink

Do a festival in your own town! My father did one two years running dedicated to early English choral music in Brighton.

Two friends of ours- Lisa and Jenny came up with the idea of doing metal and electronica nights here in Birmingham. Now their little festival has turned into a monster and is hailed to be like a mini Sonar for the UK.

www.capsule.org.uk/

It's as simple as that Smile

Tom Smile

My home town? You obviously don't know much about East Tennessee. Actually Michael and I are organizing a one night event (Oct. 14). We've had notices up for about three weeks asking for local participants. We've not had a single inquiry. I've approached two individuals who dabble, but they're afraid to test the waters. So, there you go. It's not as simple as that.

www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
Page 2 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: