electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
New G2 user - trying to plan something out
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
chinard

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: New G2 user - trying to plan something out Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heya peeps..

i just finally got my hands on a G2 a few days ago and i've been having a blast noodling around and trying a few experements with patch building.

I already have a fair amount of experience with analog modular synths that i have in my studio. (got some moog and moogerfooger stuff, ms-20, metasonix stuff, and im currently building a paia 9700s modular)

Right now what i am trying to do is i am trying to 'scale down' my studio.
The G2 directly replaces almost all of my existing VA synths, and HOPEFULLY if i can program this thing to do what i want it to do, then i can also retire my 'Live' keyboard (korg triton studio) and use this as a lightweight and more flexible live keyboard.

lets get right to the live thing that i am trying to do.
now the triton for starters is a sampler with a VERY sophisticated arppegiator on it, which for a couple of songs i CANNOT live without for live use.
The sampling part doesnt really bother me, cause i can create much BETTER sounding patches on the G2, the thing that has me scraching my head is HOW to build a 'building block' that will emulate the flexibility of the triton arppegiator.

I've decided to make this my first real programming challenge on this platform. From reading the manual i am still trying to decide what the best approach is and there is alot to absorb here.

Here's what i want to do:
i want to take the note and gate from they keyboard in and sort the notes as they are being pressed.
From here i want to take the gate and pitch from each note, and seperate it to its own step sequencer.
For example; holding lower C2 by itself would activate only the step-sequencer 1 for those notes being pressed.
when holding lower C2, and a higher note, lets say.. D3 would still play sequencer 1 on c2 but would also in parallel play sequencer 2 on D3.
If a third key were to be pressed, lets say F4 then it would play sequencer 3 in parallel to sequencer 1 and 2 being played on their respected notes.
The original triton arppegiator would let you do up to 11 layers like this.

I know this all sounds confusing.. i think i might have to take some screenshots of the arppegiator config on a triton so that you can see what im talking about.

Im thinking this can be done, but the programming is going to be interesting to say the least. The biggest challenge i think will be figuring out how to sort and seperate the notes as they are triggered so that each note can be routed to its own sequencer.

If anybody else has attempted to do anything similar, or has any ideas on how to perform this function let me know. Razz
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

That sounds interesting. I'm sure you can work something out. It is easy to sort out midi notes and use these to trigger other events like sequencer or whatever you want. The midi stuff can be a little confusing at first, but it is very capable and powerful. Start off small and try to detect one note and trigger something simple. Then you can expand from there. Hope you share your patches. I love arpeggiators.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use the 'voice no.' output from the status module (in/out group). This can be used to discriminate between voices and build different sequencers / arpeggiator circuits per voice. You probably have to increase the voice number of the slot & still make different circuits per voice in the patch, otherwise I'm not sure it will work.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another way to do it might be to make a chain of sample and hold modules that gets clocked by the high pass filtered (edit: and full wave rectified) note output from the mono key module (set to last note priority). Playing the same note twice will not be detected this way, don't know if that wold be a bug or a feature.

Sorting could then be done by using a comparator module on the sampled note values (one for each pair of sample and holds, and then recursively applying this for each pair of that, building a comparator tree) followed by controlled switches or cross faders (+ inverters). Maybe insert a time lag before the cross fader to avoid clicks.

This needs a lot of modules, but it could be built in one slot and then control another through internal MIDI.

chinard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, i found the voice no. output from the status module already.
if i put it through the 1-8 MUX and crank the polyphony up to lets say 4, it does a nice round robin of each key executed quite nicely.

the next thing i have to figure out is:
a) how to seperate CV from gate for each note event
b) how to sort the notes from lowest to highest so that they can be individualy routed to its own step seq for gate and offset processing.
c) how to build a central clock to slave all 4 step-sequencers so that they are all on the same step.

pretty adventurous first attempt, but i desperately need this to do at least 4 layers so that i can deal with the ONE performance PATCH that has kept me 'ball and chain' to my triton so this is worth figuring out for me no matter how much DSP i have to chew up to do it.
Good thing i ordered a dsp expansion too, I have a habit of building complex patch setups.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to electro-music, Blue Maple Leafs Wink

It's cool you're diving right in, that is the best way to familiarize yourself with this system.

Cheers from Canucks-ville,
/Dasz
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: New G2 user - trying to plan something out Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

chinard wrote:

Here's what i want to do:
i want to take the note and gate from they keyboard in and sort the notes as they are being pressed.

Hi!

I'm not sure it's possible to realize this in 11 layers, maybe 3 or 4. I think you need to use the buses to send info between the voices. I made a patch (attached) that sorts notes upwards, that is for every key that you press the next gate signal (I've only done this with oscillators, but you can route the gates from the mux to sequencers as well), is one up from the former. This isn't that much of an improvement from the voice count, except that if you release a key (so note n becomes silent) and then press another key, the same note n plays again.

It's not clear from your description what happens when you press, say, the sequence C1 F3 D2. Will the sequencer for F3 be moved to D2 and replaced with sequencer #3?

You could sort the note values up to three (and maybe higher), I think, by keeping the lowest note in bus 1 and the highest in bus 2. You might even be able to use bus 3 and 4 to sort minimum four values, but I imagine that will be a terribly tangled patch with lots of comparing, inverting and logicking. Very Happy A fun project though!

Then there is the possibility to implement a slotted kind protocol over the busses with any possible amount of data... I don't know if anyone has dared go there yet.

/Stefan

sbt_allupwards.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  sbt_allupwards.pch2
 Filesize:  1.94 KB
 Downloaded:  1812 Time(s)

chinard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whoa!! thanks for help with the sorting feature.
i think with this i can actualy DO this as i intended
I have already figured out how i am probably going to do the rest.
I just have to figure out how your sorting gate works in the meantime Razz

I was never intending to go 11 layers deep. i only said 11 because thats how many layers the triton go.
It is an interesting dynamic arppegiator that can even simulate 'strumming' sequences.

Im gonna go work on this and post my results, thank you so much!
chinard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, made some major progress with the idea note sorting.
I also used a few ideas on clock/gate synch that i found in a performance patch here named 'peggy-pegiator'
I think im going to move this post this one to g2 patches experemental forum to further develop and debug.

see you in the other forum Razz

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-103339.html
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: