electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook"
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook"
Subject description: more will be available in the late spring 2009 ......
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Thomas Henry " VCO Chip Cookbook" will be available in late spring of 2009. Keep your eyes open for the release in the Thomas Henry sub-forum ......

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by State Machine on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
forbin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This link seems broken -- as are all references that i seem to find to the VCO Chip Cookbook -- is it likely to appear on Lulu? I would like to buy it but the sMs site also seems broken. I want to try an 8038 VCO as i have recently found a couple of chips.
johans121

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still broken Smile

-Jim
Dragon's Lair

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check the date of the original post guys.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guys,

I am so sorry about this. I have no stock right now on this book but have plans this spring to make another run. I really should remove the link because it points to my "sale" post for the book.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Bill
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i wonder if a print-on-demand solution might help you here? i have friends who've had good experiences w/ Lulu.

b

bugbrand

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah the MagicSmoke TH books on Lulu are really easy to get hold of - I've only ever purchased the PDF download versions, so not sure what the physical versions would be like. Certainly the orig. StateMachine ring-bound VCO cookbook is very nice - great shame if its not available 'cos it is a FANTASTIC book!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guys, yes, I know that Magic Smoke uses Lulu and I have gotten books from them myself. This is a very good option. and great quality to. This text is too new, and good, to not make it available. I will consider this and post my decision.

1) Get hard copies
2) Book on demand.

OK, thanks ........

Bill
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am most def going to order one when they get reprinted!
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been curious about this book as well.
Sound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is a very good book, very very educative.

Thomas Henry describe how to do an oscillator with the chips 566, 8038 and the XR2206, step by step. The principles of the IC, Linear VC , improved liniear VC, exp VC, improved exp VC, sine, square, ramp wave shapers, hard synk and a long etc...

I think that it will be a good idea to post the table of Contents, State Machine, it will weak up a lot of interest for this book.

In addition, the last chapter explain , PCB layouts included how to make VCO test gear, a variable R-box, a Ten Step Voltage Reference(i make it is very useful) and an Audio Frequency counter.

Also Fonik have already did a layout for the 8038 VCO of this book: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-27631.html

Regards.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure, and here is the TOC ........... and cover page .......

Bill

VCO001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.37 KB
 Viewed:  392 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

VCO001.jpg

VCO_COOKBOOK_TOC.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  VCO_COOKBOOK_TOC.pdf
 Filesize:  196.81 KB
 Downloaded:  1091 Time(s)

forbin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it Spring yet?
KrIVIUM2323

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope spring is coming quickly this year! Can't wait to order one copy or a pdf version from it!
Junk Rhythm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would also be interested in a PDF version if it becomes an option.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Everybody,

I've recently worked out a deal with Bill (State Machine), and Magic Smoke is going to be publishing the VCO Chip Cookbook. Bill wants to concentrate more on hardware (PCBs, etc.) and so made me a very good offer on taking over the VCO Book.

Now the bad news: The Thomas Henry books I've done so far have been a ton of work. Some material is scanned, some is redrawn, and all of it needs to be fairly high quality so that it A) Looks good when printed B) meets my standards and C) Meets Thomas' standards! This is actually a fair amount of work with a 30 or 40 page book, and it's going to be a BIG effort with a 120 pager! This is going to take a while to prepare, and the resulting PDF will be so big that it will probably only be offered in printed version. We'll see, but there are always tradeoffs in quality vs. file size, and I'm not sure if people will be willing to put up with a ~40MB download for a PDF.

In any case, I'm cranking away on it, and I'm looking at every compression / conversion option I can. Rest assured that at the VERY least, the VCO Chip Cookbook will be available as a print version through Lulu with the rest of our books, and will be available as soon as I can get it ready (1 month? 2 months?).
www.lulu.com/magsmoke

BTW, please don't get the impression that I'm complaining about the work. I love what I'm doing, and I'm proud of the fact that Magic Smoke has helped bring these books back to the DIY community. I'm just trying to give everyone a realistic idea of the time involved, and the availability of the VCO book.

Thanks!!

Tim (a scanner dorkly) Servo
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad to hear you are picking it up! And I for one appreciate the fact that there is quality/standard that it has to stand up to. 40mb may not be to bad really for a download(for most people), but honestly it losses wha Crying or Very sad t it is.(-am I biased cause I work in print/dying industry?)
Crying or Very sad

I'm just going to keep making copies of everything I do, saving to disk, and to the server.
KrIVIUM2323

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GOOD NEWS!

If it's not possible to have a PDF let's go for real book! Anyway a book is far better 'ergonomicaly speaking' than a pdf! Wink

Quote:
BTW, please don't get the impression that I'm complaining about the work. I love what I'm doing, and I'm proud of the fact that Magic Smoke has helped bring these books back to the DIY community.

THANK YOU to give us an acces to the wonderful and so honnest works of Mr HENRY!

Beside the quality and clarity of his books, in this world of selfpromotion it's rare to have someone who refers to the initial 'autors' of an idea in his publications...and T.Henry do this kind of thing in every articles/book he wrotes! At least the one i have read.

Respect to you all for your work...
forbin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tim

Sorry to keep nagging... How is progress?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys and Gals,

All I can say is that I'm still working on it. There's a ton of scanning involved, and it's coming along. I do have some other news though - there IS a new Thomas Henry project in the pipeline that has been taking up some of my time and is ALMOST ready for release: Building a Synthesizer with Thomas Henry. Smile This is a DVD where Thomas let's you look over his shoulder while he covers a lot of the mechanical details involved in putting together a rack, and mounting and wiring PCBs. This one isn't about electronics, but how to package all of that stuff so you can actually use it! Lots of good info in this one. I'll post more info in the next few days, as the DVD should be ready on (or before) Christmas.

Tim (scan-o-rama) Servo
Sound

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been sworn to secrecy on the TH DVD, but since Tim has spilled the beans I guess it's OK to say that it is a great addition to the Thomas Henry book collection. I would highly recommend it. I have followed TH pretty much from his first articles in Polyphony magazine back in the late 1970s/early 80s and even I learned a thing or two. It kind of reminds me of the PBS how-to shows like This Old House and the New Yankee Workshop (or whatever Norm Abram's show is called).
Sound

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim, I have seen already the DVD in Lulu.com Very Happy
There will be a downloadable version of it?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound wrote:
Tim, I have seen already the DVD in Lulu.com Very Happy
There will be a downloadable version of it?

Hey Sound,

Lulu doesn't offer DVD downloads as an option. Given that we're talking 4.4GB of data, I'm not sure how many would be willing to spend the time doing the download (took me several hours to send the files to their FTP site with a relatively fast cable modem). I would also think that offering DVD downloads would require a LOT of server horsepower.

I have put the DVD on the Magic Smoke "Storefront" at Lulu, but I haven't Officially Posted about it yet. I have an evaluation copy on order, and I want to make sure it plays nice on my home player and my PC before I promote it and start selling a bunch of them. I'm probably just being paranoid though.

Tim (lotsa data) Servo
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim,

you might want to start a new thread for this on the TH subforum...I think you're well beyond the VCO chip Cookbook title of this thread!Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: