electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Frijitz makes MAKE
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mandrigora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Frijitz makes MAKE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/diy_projects/

Very Happy
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Frijitz makes MAKE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mandrigora wrote:
Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I probably never would have seen it! (Too bad the figures don't actually go together -- I hope nobody thinks they can get the quadruple scroll from the EZChaos circuit. Laughing )

Very Happy

Ian
bugfight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Frijitz makes MAKE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
mandrigora wrote:
Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I probably never would have seen it! (Too bad the figures don't actually go together -- I hope nobody thinks they can get the quadruple scroll from the EZChaos circuit. Laughing )

Very Happy

Ian

hey Ian,
i came across your site a few weeks ago and read it with interest. great ideas with excellent explanations. so what exactly were the "two step-function nonlinearities"? (if you don't mind my asking)
on a similar note, have you considered making a sort of chaos experimenter pcb with say 4 or 6 of your general purpose blocks, 6 pots, i/o, and a pad-per-hole section for adding other circuits? if you like, i could mock one up right quick...
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Frijitz makes MAKE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugfight wrote:
i came across your site a few weeks ago and read it with interest. great ideas with excellent explanations. so what exactly were the "two step-function nonlinearities"? (if you don't mind my asking)
Hi bug -- Thanks for your interest! The "two step-function nonlinearities" are just two comparator circuits, one in the main signal loop and one fed back through a second path. These are part of what I call My "Sprott Box", which is a switchable system that embodies several VC versions of JC Sprott's circuits. I added to these a second nonlinear feedback path. I haven't put this whole system up on my site, because it is quite complex. It has 25 switches and pots to set the four modes of the system and to switch in the various nonlinear circuits. In addition, it has special circuits to keep the system from running off to the rails.
Quote:
on a similar note, have you considered making a sort of chaos experimenter pcb with say 4 or 6 of your general purpose blocks, 6 pots, i/o, and a pad-per-hole section for adding other circuits? if you like, i could mock one up right quick...
I built something like that at one point for developing different systems. It ended up being committed to my second box, which is the 5-stage cyclic system. I brought out the various I/O points to the panel so that various loops and nonlinearities can be patched up.

If you would like to build up an experimenter's board, I would certainly encourage you to do so. Just one thing to keep in mind -- you can't just hook up some arbitrary integrators and nonlinearities and expect to get useful results. Chaos only occurs under special conditions. That's why my circuits are based on systems that are already understood. Of course, there are many other chaotic systems you could play with.

I made PCBs for two simple systems that are generally stable and produce a wide range of attractors. Several people (maybe 5%) have built these circuits and given me their feedback. I don't know how many people would really be interested in a more complicated experimental system. But if you want to try somethings along this line, I'd be happy to cheer you on.

Very Happy

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: