electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Nord Lead 2x- Sounds different on headphones vs. amplifier?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Lbsword

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Nord Lead 2x- Sounds different on headphones vs. amplifier?
Subject description: Hmm... any help?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello there.

Ive been using my 2x with both an amplifier and headphones.

When I create a program on the headphones, then play on the the amp, it sounds much muddier/rough on the ears.

Should I control volume from the Amp, not the nord? Cause when I increase master volume and gain, it sounds even worse.

should I keep master volume and gain low, and use the amp to make it louder? Cause that seems to work.

Or if anyone has any other solutions.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are using a keyboard amp thingie?

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/fit,400by400/quality,85/brand,zzounds/sumo100_front-9075ae4dc73c7350aa163ee9e3a80a52.jpg

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALESUMO100

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mostly headphone are very good to create sounds on a synth, but when amplified the other gear also gives a tough to the sound and sometimes a lot of touches. Always check the sound in the set up you want to use it.

And then there are the other instruments in a band will change the nature of the sound too, so test the sound in the mix very well (if your sound engineer still has functional ears Wink

Even the room (hall) you're perform has influences to the sound...

Again, you have to play the notes right...

Is making music even possible!

Wout
Lbsword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does an amp specifically for keyboards make a lot of difference?

Cause the amp I use is like... not for keyboards, only been used for guitars and mics.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. The output from a synth is pretty hot.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most amps have special characteristics, designed to specified instruments.

Anyway, you can always use the amp which is available and create your sounds playing that particular amp. In fact, IMHO it's the best way to do these kind of things.

Keep in mind: all between the (230/115V) power supply and the input of the Public Address system is your responsibility and is your tool box to create your music. I go as far to include the PA too.

Wout
doctor tropico

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a lot depends on how you want to scape your sound. Different amp, different feel. Just like you pick synth X over another one because you like its sound more.

If you play your Nord through a guitar amp like you say, I think it's more than normal you get a sound that is rougher. But that shouldn't automatically be a bad thing. Like wout said: use your amp and build your sound with it.... and make it YOUR sound.

Or you can go out and look for an amp that gives you a sound that resembles the one you hear in your headphones. If you take this problem to your music shop, I'm sure they'll be happy to help you find the right amp.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lbsword wrote:
Does an amp specifically for keyboards make a lot of difference?

Cause the amp I use is like... not for keyboards, only been used for guitars and mics.

It´s all about levels. Some guitar amps do handle synth levels, but most will kneel and overload. Most probably what you are hearing is a level and impedance mismatch.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: