electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Mini Voyager
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Mini Voyager Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a monster of a monosynth!

I was curious about the dual filter configuration of the voyager so I set about reproducing it, based on info on the net. When complete, I decided to try the continuously variable wave shapers. Then, what the hell, why not do the whole damn thing?

The dual filters

These operate in two modes, serial LP->HP (for a variable width, band-pass response) and parallel LP. A Spacing control allows for adjusting the difference between the two filter frequencies. In the first mode, resonance only effects the LP section. The second mode applies each filter to a separate output.

The variable wave shapers.

Not content with the usual square-pulse shaping, or even the less common tri-saw shaping, the Voyager has gone for continuos tri-saw-square-pulse. Sorry Bob, I don't think this was a great idea but I suppose it saves on panel controls. I have reproduced it by using a pair of shape oscillators per VCO along with a lot of modules to set both shape controls and cross-fade at the right time. All very expensive and contributes little to the sound character, feel free to replace with a single shapeosc for a (much)leaner patch.

Modulation Bus X 2
This is a cut back version of the original, using the VCO3 wave as an LFO blows out the DSP usage (changes everything to audio rate). As a compromise, I have included a second LFO that can track the keyboard and go well into the audio range. No shaping but you can do that with morphs if required.
When it comes down to it, no matter how many modulation features Rudi adds to the Voyagers firmware, it will always fall short of the completely open ended G2.

Feedback is very welcome from anyone who owns or has played with the real thing. I don't think any have made it down here yet.

vOYAGER1.pch2
 Description:
Voyager By ...

Download
 Filename:  vOYAGER1.pch2
 Filesize:  5.78 KB
 Downloaded:  2561 Time(s)

Last edited by ian-s on Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ian-s

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I forgot to mention that the downloadable Voyager pdf manual has a good generic synthesis basics section. It reads like it was written in 1971 and assumes no prior knowledge. Learning synthesis by finding what every knob or button does may work for simple hard wired synthesisers. But to get the best from a modular, you should be familiar with certain basic principles (like voltage control) which make the whole confusing mess make sense.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That dual filter is similar to the original Moog Modular system. There was a high-pass and a low-pass filter, and a filter coupler module. This coupler provided band-pass and band-reject. The band with was voltage contolled as was the center frequency.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Voyager configuration is sort of spoiled by designing it down to a single switch. Just providing two switches (serial/parallel, LP/HP for filter2) would have allowed for the notch mode you mentioned.

This implementation actually uses both filters in low pass mode, a converter on the output of filter 2 creates a simultaneous high pass response (using the subtract output from input technique). This is because the response needed to be switched along with the re-routing, by a single button. I could have used midi to do that but it is slot dependent. The switching was so complicated I had to write out a block diagram Rolling Eyes . A lot of work just to effectively constrain the functionality to match a hardware synthesiser.
It is possible to modulate the 'spacing' with a control signal. Currently that signal is just connected to a constant knob.
Just realised that this patch and the other emulations would require a fare amount of work for engine users, having the relevant controls assigned to the G2 panel makes a lot of difference.
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed.... what a monster!! Twisted Evil

This one still scores pretty high in my G2-Top 10
(eh... maybe we should have a G2-patch top 10! Smile
I've used it several times the last months. It can handle a broad range of sounds, but the reason why I like this one so much is because it can produce extremely raw & evil sounds (if you play around with the routings on page B2)
It's always my first choice if I'm looking for a monosynth,
thanks for this wonderfull patch Ian!

(maybe a bit late, but I've had to say it Smile
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, i hadn't seen this patch at all, so thanks for pointing it out!
tranzash

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a great and phat patch Smile
Rare Bird Productions

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like the patch, but there are so many modules involved in it, I hardly understand what they are all doing.
ian-s

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rare Bird Productions wrote:
Like the patch, but there are so many modules involved in it, I hardly understand what they are all doing.

Its been a while since I posted this, the bulk of the extra modules are the wave shapers, three identical columns 2,3,4. All they do is allow a single knob (or CV) to smoothly transition from Triangle - saw - square - pulse.

I have played the real thing since and I think the Voyager morphs from saw to square, rather than cross fade. If someone owns one, perhaps they could post a short wav of just one osc (filters open max) having its shape swept slowly.
I think I could probably make a few more optimisations with what I've learned over the last year as well Embarassed .
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Jump to: