electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Ian Fritz Jerkster Chaos build, help needed, NOW WORKING
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
pristak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Ian Fritz Jerkster Chaos build, help needed, NOW WORKING Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm having a problem with the Jerkster Chaos.

The current problem is that the TL072's are getting very hot. They get hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch in less than a minute.

One question I have is would testing with one TL071 and one TL072 be ok. I have one of each for the 5 pulsar waveshaper I've been working on. I've tested with the extra TL072 swaping it one at a time for the 2 in the circuit and it gets very hot as well.

BACKGROUND

At first all IC's were getting hot. I replaced C1-C3 on advice from Scott at Bridechamber to replace the caps. Then I noticed that one of the LM13700's was in backwards. I turned it around, but that didn't help. So I replaced both of those and they have now stopped getting hot. The TL072's now seem to be getting hotter though. So, I now found some of the electrolytic caps and replaced C4 and C5. The old ones appeared to be oriented correctly. The new ones definitely are. No change. I've tested with the extra TL072 I have, but it gets hot too.

Last edited by pristak on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ian Fritz Jerkster Chaos build, help needed Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pristak wrote:
The current problem is that the TL072's are getting very hot. They get hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch in less than a minute.
One question I have is would testing with one TL071 and one TL072 be ok.
I'm sure we all have put a chip in backwards now and again. But when you do, it is destroyed and must be tossed. No, you cannot put a 071 in for a 072. If you do, you will destroy it.

I don't see any way the 072's could be overheating unless they are powered wrong. Are you sure you really have them oriented correctly? If so, the next step would be to take all the chips out and check for correct PS volatages everywhere they run.

GL!

Very Happy

Ian
pristak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, it was a big dumb thing. I'm getting really good at doing stupid stuff. But hey, live and learn.

The power supply connector on the board was soldered backwards. Thus inserting the keyed power cable resulted in reversed power.

Now nothing gets hot. It is putting out voltage, and will modulate other modules, but there is little variation in sound even when sweeping the pots.

I already ordered new IC's so I'll replace them when they arrive. Is there anything else I should just go ahead and replace? I suspect I need to go back over my pot wiring as well.
frijitz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pristak wrote:
Ok, it was a big dumb thing. I'm getting really good at doing stupid stuff. But hey, live and learn.
Where my Dad worked they had identical wall outlets for both AC and DC power. They told new employees it was OK to plug into the wrong outlet ... once.

Quote:
Is there anything else I should just go ahead and replace?
Yes, replace the filter caps C4, C5.

Very Happy

Ian
pristak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally got all parts and had time to replace everything thing tonight.

Everything seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for the help and for designing the circuit. This was my second diy build and my first was a blacet kit. So this was a very different experience. In spite of the stupid mistakes I seem to make, I'm hooked. I have the 5 pulsar on the bench about to wire the pots and jacks.
frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pristak wrote:
Finally got all parts and had time to replace everything thing tonight...
This was my second diy build and my first was a blacet kit.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you are ripping up the learning curve!

Very Happy

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: