electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Single op-amp ~vco~
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
nicolas3141

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Single op-amp ~vco~ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Design goal - super simple vco with very low parts count, no uncommon parts, running off a single 9V battery. Four vcos from one LM324 on a couple of square inches of stripboard. This is what I have come up with so far. Not built yet, but works in the circuit simulator - hey what could possibly go wrong Smile

The limitations: -

Firstly its not V/Hz or V/octave. From 0-1V you get about half an octave. From 1V-2V about one octave. From 2V-3V about two octaves. Think I'll be using other VCOs for pitch critical stuff.

Secondly the waveshape changes. At the bass end more or less square, at the high end more of a narrow pulse type wave. This is a feature I think, not a bug Wink

So thats based on playing with the sim. I'll try building it in the real world and let you know how I get on.

And why I want lots of simple VCOs? Add a single transistor VCA to each one (easy for with square waves). Some LFOs and/or ADSRs. And then I can have a go at 4/6/8 op FM. Yeah!!

Will keep you posted. If anyone else tries building it, let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Nicolas

vco-single-opamp.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.54 KB
 Viewed:  26732 Time(s)

vco-single-opamp.JPG

jnuaury

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

interesting!
i was playing around with a similar idea after i breadboard a variation of this...

http://www.jiggawoo.eclipse.co.uk/guitarhq/Circuitsnippets/simplevcf.gif

uses one op-amp stage and only a few more components, but you can some rounder waveforms
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool, thanks for sharing that.
doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Single op-amp ~vco~ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nicolas3141 wrote:

And why I want lots of simple VCOs? Add a single transistor VCA to each one (easy for with square waves). Some LFOs and/or ADSRs. And then I can have a go at 4/6/8 op FM. Yeah!!

Maybe we're talking apples and oranges here, but I've always thought FM in that style requires extreme pitch accuracy, which is why, with notable exceptions like the Zeroscillator, it's usually been generated digitally, like the Yamaha DX series and the Modcan VCDO - so the ratios are exact multiples. Maybe you're not after those kinds of ratios the same way I'm looking at it. Could be my personal bias- I used to sell programs for the DX series and see it as a pretty exact science in most cases, other than noise or intentionally dissonant patches

nicolas3141

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I've always thought FM in that style requires extreme pitch accuracy

Yes I think you are right, but when patching an analogue those kind of ratios are tuned in by ear while twisting knobs which is a little bit different from the DX7 way of doing things. I am hoping that it will work even without good linearity as long as all the oscillators are built identically and have matching responses. At the end of the day I don't think I will be getting the same range of sounds as a DX7 can do, but I am sure I will get something interesting out of it. And the idea of doing it with super low parts count is that even if it turns out to be of limited usefulness I won't have spent too much money or time on it.

Cheers,
Nicolas
metal_head_82

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just in order to revive this old thred Wink

I just posted a single op amp vco in a thread here:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-49901.html

Perhaps this might be interesting Wink

Cheers
Hendrik

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: