electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
mfos 16 step quantized vary-step-length sequencer
Page 1 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: mfos 16 step quantized vary-step-length sequencer
Subject description: sequencer V-2
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, ive been designing a panel in corel draw for a blue version of Ray's hot rod modification to the 16 step sequencer (Pontiac 455 super charged) heh Very Happy .

When i order the pcbs & wire everything up , i'll make the final adjustments to the spacings.

Really looking forward to building this one Smile .

Dave

new MFOS sequencer V2 blue.jpg
 Description:
first draught mfos 16 step sequencer panel design ..... in blue.
 Filesize:  653.79 KB
 Viewed:  776 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

new MFOS sequencer V2  blue.jpg

ashleym

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As ever a great looking panel and I am sure it will make your music that much more........ Twisted Evil

If I could offer an idea or two? On my sequencer I have added a selectable voltage for the CV output. If I want full control of, say, filter cut off I can use the high voltage, CV of pitch- medium voltage range something like 0-5v etc. I know you can use an attenuator, I just prefer switchable ranges.

Secondly I have taken an alternative gate/trigger out. If I switch a step "off" I just route it to another set of outputs. Waste no want not.

Last edited by ashleym on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Ashleym , i think this will take most of the autumn to build , i've still an idea or 2 for that blank space on the right , cool idea for a 2 way switch routing the gate .

Dave
ashleym

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave- the least I could do. I used double pole switches and ran the second output off the second pole.

Ray also does a board for something similar with the 16 Step Sequencer Auxiliary GATE/LED Driver PCB that he's made for the variable step seq you are building.
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice panel Smile I like how you have saved some width with the offset vertical spacing
one of rays quantizers in that
space to the lower right might be nice.

as good an answer as any
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Diablojoy , i have 2 of Rays quantisers im thinking of re-housing soon Smile heh.

Dave
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hullo Smile

i've now removed one of my mfos sequencers from my modular case & temporary hooked up the wiring from the new vari pcb .

i decided to test the "difficult" sequencer first , Version 1 mfos pcb from 2005 with several "Kludges" on it for external start/stop , clock in / out etc.

Removed the soon to be redundant internal clock circuit from the ver. 1 sequencer pcb as per document .

On the new vari pcb i have soldered the binary display led's onto the pcb to help with set up ( i will chop them off when all finished) also hooked up the rest of the fly leads to the new switches and tied steps 2-to-16 vari connections to ground leaving me with just step number 1 , which i have soldered a test measurement 100K pot with a header plug & socket so i can unplug the pot to measure the resistances needed for my rotary switches ( see pic below).

I will test all the required resistances over the weekend for 12 volt supply & 12 vari step positions on the 12 way rotary switches.

I have made room on the front panel for a second gate buss which i'll need to knock together a simple clone of the sequencer gate / trig circuit on vero board.

all going well so far , id recommend building as per plan first , then mod it after it's working Very Happy

Dave.

Seq V2 wires n chips.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  365.22 KB
 Viewed:  699 Time(s)

Seq V2  wires n chips.JPG

step 1 pot with plug for testing resistance.JPG
 Description:
pot with plug & socket for easy disconnect to test resistance at step amount change
 Filesize:  67.54 KB
 Viewed:  585 Time(s)

step 1 pot with plug for testing resistance.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

updated panel design for new 2nd gate & mfos quantizer in corner Smile

Dave.

new MFOS sequencer V2 blue & quantizer AUG 2012 latest.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  382.72 KB
 Viewed:  630 Time(s)

new MFOS sequencer V2  blue  & quantizer AUG 2012 latest.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there.

i've been working on the sequencer again Smile.

having temp hooked up the step 1 length pot, i first calibrated the pot action with the on pcb trimmer as Ray describes in the docs, then i turned the pot back to ground or 1 length position and measured the resistance at each change (solid lit led's) .

My pot is a 100K (measured - 102K ) .
At the last or 12th switch pole , my totalled resistance was 90K , i need a 12K resistor between the last position & +12V to make up the rest of the test pot travel.

So here are my results , yours will entirely depend on how you set your trimmer up to begin with.

Diagram of the 12 pole switch laid out flat with resistors between poles & a pic of the 12 way switch ( 1 of 16) to make , the heatshrink covers the 12K res.

more in a week or so , thanks for looking in Smile.

Dave

rotary switch resistor values for mfos sequencer V2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.37 KB
 Viewed:  596 Time(s)

rotary switch resistor values for mfos sequencer V2.JPG

rotary switch with resistors.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.78 KB
 Viewed:  620 Time(s)

rotary switch with resistors.JPG

ashleym

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

16 of those will be fun to solder up Exclamation Exclamation
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ashleym wrote:
16 of those will be fun to solder up Exclamation Exclamation

Smile heh , and sure to cause a burnt finger or 2 Very Happy
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hullo.

Got the sticker on the panel now and have started to swap the pots & sockets over from the original sequencer to the V2 new one.

Two or three holes still need a bit of a file out to straighten (i snapped a 6mm drill bit half way through piloting with the bench pillar drill , i thought it was getting a bit wobbly Smile ).

This will take a few nights to fill up the panel......

Dave.

MFOS 16 step vari-sequencer hardware.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  165.74 KB
 Viewed:  613 Time(s)

MFOS 16 step vari-sequencer  hardware.JPG

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave, are you drilling then stickering.... or stickering then drilling? I'm looking to get some stickers done at the local sign shop and wondering what the best method is.

thanks!
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Minus.

Both Smile , i got a cheap black & white print for drill template , peeled that off then applied the "toner hungry blue" one lined up over the holes.

To move the sticker around easily, put a small amount of washing up liquid into a sink of water and swish to make soapy bubbles , dab the bubbles, with a sponge, onto the adhesive side of the vinyl to de-activate the stickyness .

Leave to dry for a day or so , any defiant airpockets can be lanced with a scalpel blade. After 3 days of evaporation, the sticker is going nowhere.

Good luck

Dave.
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hang on Dave Confused .... Let me get this right... You are drilling the holes using a separate print out, then stickering the toner hungry blue version? Does this mean you are cutting the blue sticker, around the pre-drilled holes with a scalpel or something?

I was going to paper print a drill template and tape or glue stick it to the aluminium panel, drill, then sticker and cut around the holes. I was worried the drill bit might rip the vinyl sticker material. I have used plotter cut vinyl lettering with signs in the past. I used an atomiser spray bottle to soak the sticky side... then move it around... and squeegee in place.

I have found a local sign shop to do the stickers at a reasonable price Smile .

Oh, one other thing... You are not wrapping your sticker around the edges of your panels are you? I was wondering if the corners might lift over time.

Thanks for your help!
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Does this mean you are cutting the blue sticker, around the pre-drilled holes with a scalpel or something?

Yes , when the good sticker is on you can turn the panel round and look from the back through the drill holes in daylight and see if those cross-hairs are all in line , after its dry slice em out with a blade.

-minus- wrote:
Oh, one other thing... You are not wrapping your sticker around the edges of your panels are you? I was wondering if the corners might lift over time

mine don't noticably lift , it usually a dirty finger mark or grime that prevents them from sticking (clean corners with vinegar or solvent before pressing down).

If they do misbehave and cause sleepless nights, a dab of glue will sort em Very Happy Very Happy.

My local sign shop charges about £25.00 a square meter of print , those big toner cartridges cost a lot , especially when i use his blue all the time heheheheh Smile Smile.

Dave.
delayed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking nice
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks , this is taking a bit of planning & time , all worth it in the end Smile
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there , still working on this , deciding not to rush it since it's a bit more complicated with my old V1 (2005) seq boards with the mods to upgrade to V2(2008/9).

Here's a quick pic of the back of the panel , progress so far Smile , i had to listen to some early Erasure albums to keep a happy vibe love when soldering those 16 rotary sw's & resistors (the thought of it after work Sad )

On the home straight now, wiring & some toggles to fit.

Dave.

SEQ back Oct 2012.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.18 KB
 Viewed:  584 Time(s)

SEQ back Oct 2012.JPG

ashleym

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keep the faith. You will finish. You will finish........

My building has stopped since I have made a little more commitment to making music, so I am jealous that you manage to do both Evil or Very Mad

dancelwerk

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi to all i want to know if i can use a normal electrolitic capacitor for the variclock sequencer instead of one tantalum capacitor of the project, i cant get polarized tantalum capacitors here where i live.

thanks in advance.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi , i would think an electrolytic would be ok but im not sure , someone will know Smile
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Almost there now , wired up , quick test and found some pots working back to front , heh , those to sort & tidy the cables up with some ties , i'll give it a good test at the weekend when i screw it back into the modular (there has been a draughty space in the modular for 3 months Very Happy )

A pic of the back end and a couple of the front , i'm taking a wee rest from synth wiring for a few weeks after it's all working Smile

Dave.

SEQ v2 back.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.68 KB
 Viewed:  585 Time(s)

SEQ v2 back.JPG

SEQ v2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.29 KB
 Viewed:  620 Time(s)

SEQ v2.JPG

SEQ v2 a.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.15 KB
 Viewed:  565 Time(s)

SEQ v2 a.JPG

ashleym

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice. Nice. Nice

Quite a dense panel but it all looks like it works well.

Any news on how the quantiser works? I found this, I know it's too late, and it looks interesting and so does his other stuff

http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/cvquant/index.html

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dave
build is looking good
quick question
what is the overall size of your panel ?
I have 2 to do on my list and with a feature set exactly the same as your build so your panel layout looks like a good point to work from.

as good an answer as any
Page 1 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: