electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Nord Modular Editor on OS X using wine
Page 1 of 6 [140 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
tinez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject:  Nord Modular Editor on OS X using wine
Subject description: a lighter way to run NME
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The patch has officialy landed in wine. When you do your installation please skip steps 2 and 3. Cheers!

Hi everyrone. Since this is my first post - a short introduction. I play bass, piano and have a lot of love for synths. Professionally i'm a software developer.

I'm also a very happy owner of G1 since about 3 months. I used to run NMEditor using wine on linux. If you're not familiar with wine you can check their website http://winehq.org. It's not a virtual machine and it's not emulation - it's rewriting of win$ libraries on different operating systems. That means when you run NME on wine, you run it like a native OS X app.

I was pretty angry to find out that running NME on wine on OS X didn't work. It turned out, there was no sysex message handlers implemented in wines coreaudio driver. Two evenings later i have a patch and successfully run NME on wine on OS X Wink I'm pretty sure that G2 editor will also work - I need some brave volunteers to check that Very Happy

Ok, here's what you gotta do to make things work:
1. install brew (http://brew.sh/), remember to run brew doctor and brew update afterwards
2. edit /usr/local/Library/Formula/wine.rb file in your favorite text editor (or you can just run "brew edit wine" in terminal)
3. find section that looks like this:
Code:
stable do
    resource 'mono' do:
    end
end

and append url to my patch like this:
Code:
stable do
    resource 'mono' do:
    end
    patch do
        url "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tinez/patches/master/wine/winecoreaudio_sysex.patch"
        sha256 'a4a91359ecce2a3fbaf559c692f374e9c6bcdbec50b75c01868dd26f6214fa33'
    end
end

4. brew install --build-from-source wine
5. download win$ version of NMEditor
6. run it by typing "wine Nord Modular Editor File Name.exe" (i can't remember the exact filename... ;P)

If you don't trust me, you can take a look at the patch. Just go ahead and open it in your browser. If you want to try this solution out, but something doesn't work for you, write me a PM, i'll be glad to help. Finally - happy patch editing!

Last edited by tinez on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total
johann martinus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: thank you so much for this Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been searching for this solution for years!
works fine! in the beginning it didn't work (always lost connection).
then i disabled the midiclk on the midioutput of the midicard. now its stable and awesome.

thx again!!!
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to the electro-music forum johann martinus Exclamation

Congratulations on getting the G1 Editor to work on your OS X computer Exclamation

tinez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad I could help! I thought more people had problem running g1 editor on OSX though. Then I would maybe try to upstream my patch to wine project so it would be merged into official version of application. But then again, if no one cares, why bother Wink
dc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is amazing! works very well!

my micro mod had been sitting in storage for ages. happy to have it back in my set up.

thanks so much for the work, tinez.

- dc
snaakmans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the walkthrough and patch! It works like a charm.

Nme seems to be working well, as far as i can see (with wine on os10.8.5)!
except connecting to the synth doesnt seem to happen.
It looks like my midi interface (midisport1x1) is being picked up by NME, though.

What i wonder, is this actually the patch functioning fine and is the problem in Modular Editor or my midi interface?
Any other experiences or clues?

Thanks for the great work!
tinez

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Someone else PMed me with similar issue. I've made him a check list. I'll just repaste it here Smile

1. make sure you have appropriate midi device selected in nord modular editor - go to "Setup->Midi" and choose your interface

2. did you modify wine.rb to include my patch? you can double check that by typing "cat /usr/local/Library/Formula/wine.rb | grep winecoreaudio_sysex.patch" in console. It should print out the url line.

3. did you "brew install wine" AFTER modyfing wine.rb? if you're not sure than run "brew remove wine && brew install wine" to reinstall wine

4. make sure you have your cables right (inserted to PC in/out ports of Nord), we all have bad days Wink

Everything should work out of the box. If your midi interface works with normal mac os x apps then there's no reason why it shouldn't work with wine.

cheers, tinez
snaakmans

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for getting back on this..

I ran down the check list, everything seems to be in order.
Unfortunately though, no luck on "seeing" the modular though, it stays stuck on "still looking…".

I'm also trying other midi interfaces.
Until now, no luck on a 1x1 midisport, nor on my MOTU traveler's midi ports.

I remember from back in the day that you had to run NME in some kind of (WIN98?) compatibility mode, else it wouldn't be able to connect.
Any clue how this relates to operation using WINE?

Another thing, this might be completely normal though, just posting it to be sure.. I get a lot of these messages in the terminal:
fixme:midi:MIDIIn_MessageHandler Starting System Exclusive
fixme:midi:MIDIIn_MessageHandler Ending System Exclusive

Many thanks!
tinez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you can see this message in your terminal, then you don't have my patch Smile
That can mean two things - something went bad while patching wine.rb or something went wrong in the middle of patching wine sources using my patch. Could you please PM me your wine.rb file? I wont have access to my mac for a couple of days so I gotta rely on your feedback to fix that Wink
tinez

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, after some pms with snaakmans we've figured out the problem. if you have installed wine, but somehow it didn't work, please remove it using "brew remove wine" and then install using "brew install --build-from-source wine" command. it turns out homebrew had some precompiled versions of wine available so my patch have never been added to the binary.
jonah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh wow. Smile i hope this works for me, i'll have to try it later today.

but just as exciting to me, am i right in thinking this will let anything wine work with sysex, like sound diver!

i'm sure there's even more useful sysex stuff i've forgotten about because it's been so long since i could use it...it's funny i wonder in 20 years how much of the software i run will be 30+ years old. Smile

imo this should definitely be part of the official version. Smile

thanks for the effort and sharing!
mattp

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you so much that's fantastic. Works a treat.

I did have to download and install https://xquartz.macosforge.org

But I was prompted to do that and the whole process was so easy.
jonah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

never mind, source forge glitch, fixed. installing now. Smile
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome!
Tried this with the "build-from-source" command and it looks to be working great!
Thanks very much! Very Happy
Is there a way to create a shortcut for this to execute from Finder - as opposed to using Terminal every time?
donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Working nicely on 10.9.5!
Thank you tinez Cool
mattp

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also found using the same wine based method I was able to get the Nord Modular G2 Demo http://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/legacy/nord-modular-g2 working and passing audio in to Ableton Live using Soundflower https://github.com/RogueAmoeba/Soundflower
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mattp wrote:
Also found using the same wine based method I was able to get the Nord Modular G2 Demo http://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/legacy/nord-modular-g2 working and passing audio in to Ableton Live using Soundflower https://github.com/RogueAmoeba/Soundflower

It's cool that this works but keyboard latency is dreadful. Wasn't there an ASIO for Wine patch out there?
Joergen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I cant find the part in the wine.rb file ? I'm running yosemite if that should help out.

Can anyone send me their edited wine.rb file if that's even possible to copy ?

Argh, I've been struggling all day to connect to my "new" micro modular. Sad

Please help !
perrointel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, thanks, and thanks. This patch really works. I have problems with my tc electronic (lost connection) but works fine with m-audio.

Thankx tinez for your help! Nice guy!
Redline

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not having much luck with this. Running this in the terminal:

ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

Gives me:

-bash: curl: command not found
-bash: ruby: command not found

This is under Yosemite 10.10.2 with Xcode and Qwartz loaded. Any suggestions?

(Never touch terminal usually so bound to be a noob error...)
tinez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a quick google shows this post
http://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/installing-homebrew-os-x-yosemite-10-10-package-manager-unix-apps/
which says to install xcode and command line tools first. hmmm i'm pretty sure mavericks came with curl and ruby preinstalled... but that was almost a year ago, i can be wrong.
Redline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for this, seems like my terminal isn't working for some reason. Even the whoami command gives me:

-bash: whoami: command not found

Just a thought tinez but would it be possible for you to create a Winebottled app of the NM editor with this sysex fix in place? Would be great for noobs like me with zero terminal experience.
marduk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would the sysex patch work for Sound Diver too?
That'd be just awesomes!
tinez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Redline - i've never packaged any app using brew before and i don't think it's the right direction to go. I've finally pulled myself together and posted it to winehq. I hope it will be upstreamed to official version, i will let you know Smile

marduk - never heard about that software before. Just googled it and, as far as i understand, its job is to edit hardware synth patches using midi? If so, there's a big chance that it will work. Please let us know!

Cheers, tinez
marduk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If only I could get that brewing thing working (I'm not too familiar w. compiling stuff, so errors). I previously ran wine with winebottler but due to nonworking sysex the SoundDiver was useless..
Page 1 of 6 [140 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: