electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
"windows can't find G2" here's why...
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
topers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: "windows can't find G2" here's why... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yah, I've tried eveything. Different usb-cables, different computers with windows, linux's lsusb (list all usb devices) etc.

So I sent my synth for repair. They found the problem. Here's what they said:

Quote:
We're doing a modification on the usb interface which will prevent this from this happening again. This modification will now also be done with new G2's at Clavia. The reason for the error is high static voltage when connecting, which is caused becase the PC and the G2 didn't share the same grounding before connecting the usb.

The G2 will soon get home with a fixed usb. Smile
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be curious to know what the fix is! When you get it back, can you open it up & take a picture of the USB port area? (This should not void your warranty, since you'd have to open it to install a second DSP card).

-jk*
Leo G2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

who gave you this answer? was it clavia?

i seem to be having the same problem. (isn't anyone else? i mean, the G2 has a 2 wire powerchord, where does it get it's earth from?)
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Leo G2 wrote:
who gave you this answer? was it clavia?

i seem to be having the same problem. (isn't anyone else? i mean, the G2 has a 2 wire powerchord, where does it get it's earth from?)

The ground pin on the power cable isn't necessary. In fact, a ground pin on the power cable often adds noise to audio gear.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been thinking about this and I've had weird reactions to several devices with the USB ports on my motherboard. Some ports on the motherboard work some devices, but not all (such as the G2, a weird mouse I have, a digital camera, and a flash drive). This same occurence may relate to other people with G2 problems. I'll have to look at the motherboard specs and see if this is related to some usb ports being able to provide power to the device and other ports not having this feature.

Is there a difference between USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 cables?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and it not being grounded does not make the effects of static electricty worse, the contrary could have more truth.

But we do seem to have some dead calves laying around, which needs some attention of course.

When true, now refering to this thingy starting the thread and seemingly quoting Clavia (not that I doubt that, just being carefull, trying to)

When this is true it is of course ... ehm ... not really smart ... what Clavia did, or did not in this case, not putting in enough protection against sparky fingers, is ... ehm ... well you know, I envision Clavia red faces thinking of it. Not good, not cool.

I sort of missed this thread before, or maybe I choose to mis it, who can tell. But I learned something here, my G2's are old as well and so it's best to be carefull I guess,

I mean I wouldn't want to mis a G2, not even for a day. And so I feel sorry for all to who this has happened and hope Clavia's service will not be disappointing them.

After all when that thingy is true Clavia should feel a bit compromised. Well, actually I don't know about that, I would feel bad had it heppened to me.

See being carefull again, I start learning already :-)

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this the rack only? I have the Key version Serial 30 and in the first few months running on 98 with limited memory, had to disconnect/reconnect usb often with lockups etc. Was I just lucky?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have racks and feel lucky, but to be honest I don't quite know what to make from this.

There have also been reports about certain key combinations that would make a G2 keys version go again, USB-wise, but thait doesn't combine very well with the sparky-fingers hypothesis.

It could also be multiple issues of course, to resolve the contradiction I mean.

But for sure there are reports of people having to send back their G2 to Clavia for "failing USB" matters.

On my previous laptop (XP, slowish) I did have occasional USB hickups as well, but never the serious kind.

lelik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I from Russia. I have G2X and this problem, too.
Can you help me? Because, I can't sent my synth for repair SadSadSad

Maybe you can give me answers about this or photo modification usb?

Thanks all...
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: