electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
New CMOS music box - The Melody Oracle
Page 2 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy (+1 for using phantasmagorical )

nice melodies!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Top Top

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad wrote:
Made of substance arborical,
its triangle shape historical
and magic workings magnetical,
this box called the melody oracle

I can say it metaphorical
or I can state it categorical,
the sounds from this lovely oracle
are quite phantasmagorical

Now I ask a question rhetorical:
Is not the CMOS quite musical?

Smile

.:James:.

Hah wow made my day!

I've put a few more sample tunes on there, including a few with my percussion machine synced.

http://amagicwhistle.bandcamp.com/album/messages-from-the-oracle

Top Top

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: SAMPLE ORACLE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Getting a real case of "feature creep..." Uh... I added a sampler.

But this is it. I've already cut out the front panel and don't have room for any more switches, and the circuit boards are already laid out, 80% wired.

I swear.

The final will actually have two banks of 8 samples (two chips) sharing a common addressing bus (both chips always address in unison), which can be layered if desired.

Here is a test with some samples recorded (just me speaking numbers). I am using a recently obsolete chip: the ISD1110, which is a 28 pin voice recorder chip with 10 seconds of addressable memory.

I am using a 4051 to convert my 3 bit control signals from the Melody Oracle panel into 8 equally spaced memory address points on the 1110 (it has a 6 bit addressing system, which allows the 10 seconds to be cut up into 80 slices, but I decided that 8-1.25 second samples would be plenty). The final also has a feature which allows you to hold the address at 0 and just trigger the sample to play from the beginning through all 10 seconds, or until released.

The ISD chip is pretty easy to interface with a logic based setup. The only challenges were that it runs on +5V (I had to make another power bus; the rest of the machine is +12v), and the fact that it is negative edge triggered for playback, so I had to set up the triggering a little different compared to the rest of the synth.

I am really excited about this because it really expands the sounds you can get out of it. I bought six of these ISD chips because Jameco had them on clearance for $5. I am considering eventually building a completely dedicated sampler module with more features (like variable sample clock, looping, etc), but for this, I tried to strip it down to just the essentials in order to fit it into the Harmony Oracle expansion module.

The Harmony Oracle will now have the following voices:
• "Harmony Register" tune-able 4076 S&H memory register harmony oscillator (with AR env generator/VCA)
• 4017 "Fifth Down" direct tracking harmonizer (with AR env generator/VCA)
• 4070 Ring Modulator (with AR env generator/VCA)
• Sample 1
• Sample 2

Oh yea, I also added an untested 4070 sample ring modulator to the sample board to modulate the two outputs of the sample chips against eachother (each sample chip has a spare inverted audio output, which I routed to a left over XOR gate on a 4070 used for playback triggering). I am aware it will be a very distorted squared-up ring modulation, but I bet it will still get some cool crunchy sounds.

Now I just can't wait to get this thing put together.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice idea, sounds great together! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! TopTop this is amazing. What a great machine. I bet that it is so much fun to play.
Top Top

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Here it is... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I completed the Harmony Oracle box.

Included:
• Divide-by-three 4th interval tracking harmony generator, based on 4017, with independent triggering from panel.
• "Harmony Register" as I call it, 40106 oscillator synth voice with trigger-able note selection based on 4076 storage register, and 4051 note selector (reads incoming note info from the Melody Oracle, and upon triggering, automatically plays harmonic accompaniment notes via eight trim pots to set oscillator frequency). Independently triggered from panel.
• Lo-Fi Sampler (~8Khz sample rate with two sets of 8 samples). Triggered by it's own pattern selector, though sharing note selection with the "Harmony Register." Each sample bank has independent record foot switch for live sampling.
• 4070 based Ring modulator with independent gating/triggering.

All synth voices have a simple AR envelope generator with four attack and four decay settings. Square, short, long, very long. Sampler simply plays samples on trigger with no envelope shaping.

Control is sent via seven parallel simple data streams on a D9 cable. +12v power and common ground as well. The Harmony Oracle box includes a "through" port for sending control to additional devices (see last video for example).

I'm now working on a multi-channel filter bank to allow a little more shaping of the synth voices. I like the way it sounds, but I think I will be able to go broader with some ability to shape the sound.

And a little extra fun, what I call the "Color Canon:" RGB LED flood light color generator, triggered from Melody Oracle through relays, creates corresponding color notes.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really really like what you are doing and it sounds amazing! cheers
The melody in the first video reminds me of something but I don't know what it is (yet).
Nice addition with the lights too. I still want to do that myself and I actually have some things I built years
ago that I could connect straight to my lunetta's. But I've also thought about making a DMX converter as I
have some DMX LED lights now.

Keep on building!

Top Top

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I really really like what you are doing and it sounds amazing! cheers
The melody in the first video reminds me of something but I don't know what it is (yet).
Nice addition with the lights too. I still want to do that myself and I actually have some things I built years
ago that I could connect straight to my lunetta's. But I've also thought about making a DMX converter as I
have some DMX LED lights now.

Keep on building!

Thank you!

Yea, I went through a number of different ideas thinking about the best way to do the lights. I ultimately decided to go as low-tech and straight forward/completely DIY approach with it because trying to hack into an existing standard seemed like more work than just extending my own. I've thought about other ways to automate 120V AC powered things, like motors (say with rotating scrims), also automated with relays, and how they might be integrated into the lighting system. This was my first real wiring project involving 120V.

One other one or two night project I did was this video color processor hacked to manipulate the Red Green and Blue channels using the same data. Here the box is in the middle of a video feedback loop (with another color processor or two in the chain as well). Eventually I hope to use all of these things in conjunction for performances.

Top Top

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I've gone and made it a thing you can buy:

www.melodyoracle.com

CHRISKELLY

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So awesome - I hope you sell a ton of these.

Been following your projects for a while now and I love the design of them and the whole vintage style you created. Reminds me of the kind of thing Boards of Canada would use.

Good luck dude
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

amazing work
Hail the Master

Top Top

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys bigsmurf

CHRISKELLY wrote:
So awesome - I hope you sell a ton of these.

Been following your projects for a while now and I love the design of them and the whole vintage style you created. Reminds me of the kind of thing Boards of Canada would use.

Good luck dude

Thank you. Creating the world the product lives inside is part of what makes it enjoyable to do. I'm not really much of a "marketing" person, but if i can use the (somewhat necessary) medium of advertising (or packaging etc), as an extension of the art of the object itself, I can get behind it. Making the manual was oddly actually one of the most enjoyable parts of the project.

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I already wrote you a poem earlier in this thread, so I'm not sure what I can add, but this new development is quite amazing and I wish you all the best.

.:james:.
Harry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks and sounds great! Love the aesthetic.
1roomstudio

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That’s a really beautiful machine... the inner workings of which are a mystery to this mere mortal... and you are truly a Mad Scientist.

Thank you for sharing

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdOj3y4Q55K2nUX688PDt5Q

Reality is one thing... Perception is everything
Top Top

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Little update to this. The MELODY ORACLE expansion module WAVE EXPANDER is available as of today. 12 CV and Gate/Trigger outs and "CHROMINANCER" colorsong display. ALL CMOS inside! bigsmurf

Top Top

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey my CMOS dudes, I know this thread is old now, but I have made a couple of new videos on the Melody Oracle, and was thinking that seeing how it is laid out and operates might be useful/inspiring for people building/designing with CMOS, bigsmurf

Page 2 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: