electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
PCB adaptations of bits of the Buchla Music Easel
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [65 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
abovenyquist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: PCB adaptations of bits of the Buchla Music Easel Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings,

This is my first post to EM; I apologize if I'm putting it in the wrong spot. If I am, please tell me the appropriate forum for posting it in. I find so many forums and threads to be a bit overwhelming so I don't stop in very often.

Anyway, I've been working on PCBs of adaptations of bits of circuitry from the Music Easel:

users.ece.gatech.edu/~lanterma/buchla/boards

I am attempting to gauge interest for doing a run. I have boards for the balanced modulator, timbre circuit, pulser, envelope generator, preamp & envelope detector, and lowpassgate. I need to revise the first three before doing another run, so I'm not sure when I'll get around to that.

These should be considered advanced projects - the documentation is sparse and the boards are dense.

E-mail me at lanterma at ece dot gatech dot edu if you are interested in trying to build some of these - I just want to get a head count for planning purposes.
zthee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With your boards it would be possible to build a clone of the Easel then? Or is there something extra that needs to be added?
abovenyquist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zthee wrote:
With your boards it would be possible to build a clone of the Easel then? Or is there something extra that needs to be added?

I get this question a lot.

My main interest was in exploring each of the circuits on their own, particularly taking points that are internal to the Easel or capabilities normally only accessible by the resistor programming card and bringing them out to the front panel. My PCBs are adaptations, not exact clones - I've generally added circuitry to the periphery to make the boards make sense as stand alone modules.

If someone was so ambitious as to try to build an entire Easel or Easel-like thing, my boards might take them some of the way there - I've put in tap points on the board to make them amenable to such adventures - but I make no guarantees. It would be a massive amount of work and quite daunting. That's why I'm taking it one board at a time.
zthee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your quick reply!

I can see the point in evolving the design.

I have to look into the easel and the stuff around it before making up my mind..

Thanks for the nice youtube videos btw! I enjoyed those.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey abovenyquist! welcome to electro-music.com!

Buchla Music easel? Are you kidding?? I think you will probably get 2000+ orders!! Laughing Laughing

Go for it! I'd love one too- maybe it would be the perfect reason for me to finally get round to building anything at all Wink Although I can rent my body out for free, if someone builds me one!! Laughing Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's great to have you here, aaron.

thank you for your hard work and your great site.

adambee7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi man

thanks for sharing. The music easle is on a lot of peoples wish list and along with your site this will become reality. I can't wait.

cheers

adam

Very Happy Very Happy
synthi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great! Thanks Aaron, count me in!
parasitk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm definitely interested in this!
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Count me in!
mistercooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to have you here, Aaron. Your lecture videos have been very helpful for some academic contracts I have been working on!
ChrisR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm mostly interested in the Timbre & Pulser circuits, maybe Preamp / Envelope Detector.

Thanks for doing that!

Chris
abovenyquist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mistercooper wrote:
Good to have you here, Aaron. Your lecture videos have been very helpful for some academic contracts I have been working on!

Excellent! Glad to hear that.
monokinetic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1 for inviting you here Aaron, by coincidence I've been working my way through your blip.tv lectures - thanks for these as well!

The info on the easel PCBs is first class IMO, the videos are just great Smile they really helped me to understand what these parts of the easel do.

Looking forward to having you around this place....

David
thermionicjunky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am also interested. I would love the balanced modulator and timbre circuit. I can't remember how similar the Easel LPG is to the other versions. Even if they are similar, people who missed the other runs or didn't get enough boards would probably want more.
j.dilisio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work Aaron! They sound amazing in the videos.
Is there more to the original design other than the oscillators?
And are you planning on tackling the oscillators?

shawn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As you already know Aaron (i'm ntfybs) count me in for the a run of any of the boards you do for the easel. I personally like the idea of making each portion it's own module which will work nicely with my current setup. I need to figure out how to do a touch keyboard ala the easel or serge.
abovenyquist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thermionicjunky wrote:
I am also interested. I would love the balanced modulator and timbre circuit. I can't remember how similar the Easel LPG is to the other versions. Even if they are similar, people who missed the other runs or didn't get enough boards would probably want more.

The Easel LPG is interesting since it provides CV control of the filter mode (lowpass, gate, or the so-called "both" mode, which is really its own unique thing)
abovenyquist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

j.dilisio wrote:
Nice work Aaron! They sound amazing in the videos.
Is there more to the original design other than the oscillators?
And are you planning on tackling the oscillators?

I am working on the random voltage generator and the sequencer. The sequencer has been quite difficult to lay out. I think I'm on my fourth do-over trying to get it doable.

I'm saving the oscillators for last, as they will require the most thought and modification to (a) be doable with currently available parts and (b) make sense as a stand-alone module

- Aaron
j.dilisio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well in that case I'd definitely be in for a full set of boards.
I'm excited to see some diy panels and layouts for this project.

abovenyquist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

j.dilisio wrote:
Well in that case I'd definitely be in for a full set of boards.
I'm excited to see some diy panels and layouts for this project.

Me too. One of the reasons I'm just doing boards, and not panels (although I'm working on some for my own use) is I'm really curious to see what sort of panel designs people come up with. I'd love to see these popping up in all sorts of formats.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I'd be interested in these boards too. As much to understand the circuits as anything, but it sounds pretty interesting to do.

Home,My Studio,and another view
adambee7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

once i've finished some pcbs i have here i'd be up for a set. Very Happy
oldmanfury

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: PCB adaptations of bits of the Buchla Music Easel Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Count me in for a set too!
abovenyquist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: I have a few preamp/env dets., env gens, and lpgs available Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a little under a dozen each of preamp/env detector boards, envelope generator boards, and lowpass gate boards from my Music Easel PCB project left after my last shipment.

If you are interested, e-mail me at lanterma at ece dot gatech dot edu.

I am (slowly) debugging revisions of the ring mod, timbre, and pulser boards. I do not know when they will be available; also unsure when I'll do another run of the preamps, env gen, and lpg boards, so I'd recommend getting them now while they are available.

- Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [65 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: