electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Internet jamming
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Internet jamming
Subject description: Um... internet jamming
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there, you nice people!

Thought I'd tap into this unplumbable reservoir of knowledge for a bit. I would like to be able to mix records with my mate who lives in London, from my own home in Bristol.

Does the technology to do such a thing exist? Or is the mere thought an technological aberration?

Kindly kindly nice nice

Thank you!

Very Happy

mi_dach

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet jamming
Subject description: Um... internet jamming
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
Hi there, you nice people!

Thought I'd tap into this unplumbable reservoir of knowledge for a bit. I would like to be able to mix records with my mate who lives in London, from my own home in Bristol.

Does the technology to do such a thing exist? Or is the mere thought an technological aberration?

Kindly kindly nice nice

Thank you!

Very Happy

I've recently had some success with ninjam, a free online music collaboration thing. There are public servers anyone can join, and if you want a private session, you can download the server program yourself. It's really sweet.

It works by delaying the received signal by a measure, you will hear your friend playing a bar behind, and he will hear you playing behind by a bar aswell, but everyone should remain perfectly synced to the beat. This is no problem at all for dj sets/remixes.

I hope that this online collaborative music making spreads, cos it's really, really fun!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yo, welcome back Dovdimus. You have been missed. Hope you are well.

I've never jammed with anyone, but IM audio connections might be fun if you used headphones, fed your audio mixer into your sound card and recorded what you hear. There would be time delays, but what the heck, there are time delays when people are in the same room too - it's just a matter of degree.

I'm going to try mi_dach's suggestion. Sounds interesting.

On thing this community needs is live collaboration over the net.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Yo, welcome back Dovdimus. You have been missed. Hope you are well.

Thank you Mosc, that's very kind of you. I've missed being around!

Online jamming among EM members would be quite a wondrous thing. I'd tune in, that's for sure!

Thank you for your suggestion, mi_dach. How does ninjam judge the length of a measure in an incoming audio signal without a cue signal, e.g. MIDI clock?

It could have some interesting results: I would be playing a record, Mark would start mixing over the top with a delay of one bar. When I listen to the result, I would hear my own record in the mix with a delay of two bars? So if I want to do any kind of cuts or anything I have to plan them two bars in advance? Confused

mi_dach

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
How does ninjam judge the length of a measure in an incoming audio signal without a cue signal, e.g. MIDI clock?

The server has a BPM setting, I havn't run the server myself (Im stuck behind a firewall) so I don't know how you change it. The public servers have a vote system to change bpm. The system has a metronome, but it's up to you to start playback on the beat. As long as you have the same bpm set in your host, you should be able to hit this after a try or two. I guess it might drift after a while...

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
It could have some interesting results: I would be playing a record, Mark would start mixing over the top with a delay of one bar. When I listen to the result, I would hear my own record in the mix with a delay of two bars? So if I want to do any kind of cuts or anything I have to plan them two bars in advance? Confused

Say you both start at the same time (difficult!) You hear yourself immediately, and you hear Mark start one bar later. But at the same time, Mark is hearing himself in realtime, and hears you start one bar later. The transmission is delayed by one bar, which means that if Mark is resending the audio he receives from you, then yeah, you will hear it 2bars later, but you can monitor yourself immediately aswell..

Maybe its delayed by 8 beats.. I think its adjustable.

I'm into a sort of minimal techno that just slowly changes, with no real climatic cuts and breaks, just layers and loops coming in and going out every few bars, so it doesnt particularly bother me if people come in and out but not at the exact right time. I'm happy enough to just be playing somewhat in time over the net and don't worry so much about the rest of it. I have no idea how all the guitarists handle their chord changes and sequences.. Let me know if you get something useful out of it, it takes longer to explain it than to just start and give it a try Smile
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks cool Very Happy

/Stefan

mi_dach

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If anyone has a positive (or any kind of) experience using this thing, post about it here Smile
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: