electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
VCF vero layout
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
kxspxr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: VCF vero layout
Subject description: a little help needed with this layout
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

I made a vero layout of the Q&D voltage controlled filter which can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html
- scroll down approx. to the middle and it's the first one of the filters.

However, it's not working. By "not working" I mean there is no response to turning either pot. When I turn it on, the input is gained a bit though. I used a 1M pot on the input. Just didn't include it on the layout.

I have stared myself blind and I can't seem to find the error. Anyone got a better eye than me? Any help is deeply appreciated!

VCF.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.42 KB
 Viewed:  513 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

VCF.gif

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi kxspxr!

welcome to electro-music.com!

Quote:
I have stared myself blind and I can't seem to find the error.

We've all been there...

I haven't gone through everything - the schematic has no component or pin numbers, which makes it a bit tedious to relate to the vero. Perhaps you have a schematic that is numbered like the vero?

However, the first things I see is that VR2 lugs 1,2 are connected to R3, R4 and C5, i.e. it's connected to one more resistor than shown in the schematic. And, R4 seems to be shorted out by the link 4 holes to the left of it.

DJ
--
kxspxr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: VCF vero layout Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply! - I have been lurking the forums for a while, though.

Arggh! Why didn't I see that? R4 is shorted on the layput but not on my "real" board. Sorry about that. I have modified the layout a bit and decided to resolder the whole thing.
Before I do that, perhaps somone will have a look at the layout? I included the schematic with matching component numbers.

VCF_Schem.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.19 KB
 Viewed:  13893 Time(s)

VCF_Schem.gif

VCF_Vero.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.85 KB
 Viewed:  363 Time(s)

VCF_Vero.gif

DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VCF vero layout Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kxspxr wrote:
I included the schematic with matching component numbers.

Good - that's much better - still miss the pin numbering on the NE5532 though Smile

The next thing I can see is that the link connected from C6 to pin 4 of the NE5532 should really be connected to pin 3 of the NE5532. That is a bias voltage which is meant to keep the +input midway between GND and VCC, i.e at 4.5V. Then pin 4 of NE5532 needs to connect to GND.

I have attached a modified layout, with two red links, and a comment to remove the old link between C6 and pin 4.

Remember, I may be wrong, and there could be something else... Wink

DJ
--

simplevcf_mod.JPG
 Description:
Modified vero layout
 Filesize:  97.6 KB
 Viewed:  381 Time(s)

simplevcf_mod.JPG

kxspxr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: VCF vero layout Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a bunch! I thought the bias was supposed to connect to GND of the chip (pin 4), making it a virtual ground. But it makes pretty good sense that it should connect to the + input of the opamp (pin 3). The headroom will be greater if I power it with two 9V batteries and omit the voltage divider section on the powersupply, right? I'm still learning..

Sorry, forgot to include 5532 pinout -here it is along with a corrected layout. Again, thanks a lot for your help! It all makes perfect sense now.

NE5532.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.2 KB
 Viewed:  13884 Time(s)

NE5532.png

VCF_Vero.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.74 KB
 Viewed:  376 Time(s)

VCF_Vero.png

DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VCF vero layout Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kxspxr wrote:
The headroom will be greater if I power it with two 9V batteries and omit the voltage divider section on the powersupply, right?

That's right! Taking GND and the bias voltage from between the two 9V batteries. You still need the current limiting series resistor on the bias voltage. So, using a dual rail power supply we'd get :

Code:

+------ +V (to NE5532 Vcc+ and VR1 lug 1)
    |
   ---
    -   +--[R8]-- bias voltage to NE5532 1in+
    |   |
    +---+-- GND
    |
   ---
    - 
    |
    +------ -V (to NE5532 Vcc-)

There's lots of fun little circuits on that link in your first posting - DIY'ers take notice. Let us know how it sounds when you have it working then Smile

DJ
--
kxspxr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am just about to solder it from the corrected design. As far as I can see, R8 should not connect to ground but instead to half the supply voltage instead. Connecting it to ground as shown on the layout makes a hipass with a cutoff of 100hz on the input. I don't want that, so I will omit the jumper from bias to pin 3 and connect R8 there instead. That would be right according to the schematic, right? As far as I understand, connecting R8 to the bias will give a current of 4.5uA on pin 3, provided a 9v power supply. My questions are (if I understand this correct) why do I need R8 and how do I choose an appropriate value for it?

I'll post my results as soon as I have them.

kxspxr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It works and is sounds quite neat. I only tried feeding it with a square wave. It's well worth the effort. I have updated the layout. This is the *right* one Smile

The led doesn't light up when I turn VR1. It doesn't seem to affect the overall performance of the circuit, however. I suppose it's because of R2. I used an ordinary cheap red led. Not super bright or anything fancy.

VCF_Vero.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.85 KB
 Viewed:  543 Time(s)

VCF_Vero.png

richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice job figuring this out.

kxspxr wrote:
The led doesn't light up when I turn VR1.

The led isn't meant to be a visual indicator. It's used for its conductive properties, and so can be mounted on the board. You could add a 2nd led to +9v as shown in the original schematic and an spdt switch to change the response from up sweep to down.

up_dn.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1 KB
 Viewed:  13834 Time(s)

up_dn.gif

kxspxr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:

The led isn't meant to be a visual indicator. It's used for its conductive properties, and so can be mounted on the board. You could add a 2nd led to +9v as shown in the original schematic and an spdt switch to change the response from up sweep to down.

Wouldn't I need a resistor between +9V and the led to avoid destroying it?

DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kxspxr wrote:
As far as I can see, R8 should not connect to ground but instead to half the supply voltage instead.

Ah, yes! I forgot that, but you caught it so now you're in control thumleft

Quote:
It works and is sounds quite neat. I only tried feeding it with a square wave. It's well worth the effort. I have updated the layout. This is the *right* one Smile

Great - There's nothing like rolling your own!

Quote:

The led doesn't light up when I turn VR1. It doesn't seem to affect the overall performance of the circuit, however. I suppose it's because of R2.

Yes. With VR1 at the fully positive position, R1 and R2 will be in parallel and their total resistance is:
1/(1/R1+1/R2) = 50000ohm
so the maximum current through the LED is limited to :
9/50000 = 0.18mA
That's not enough current for the LED to produce much light.

However, the LEDs function in this circuit is not to produce light, but to limit the range of the frequency controlling voltage. A typical LED has a forward voltage drop of ca. 2V (varies with colour and type). That results in the voltage at the node where R1,R2,LED,C1,C2 meets always being at least 2V above ground. What you get from adjusting VR1 is a variable current source. (Please correct me someone, if I'm wrong!)

Edit: Aha! I see richardc64 was quicker than me Very Happy
Edit2: typo
Edit3: typo again Embarassed

DJ
--

Last edited by DrJustice on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:30 am; edited 3 times in total
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kxspxr wrote:
richardc64 wrote:

You could add a 2nd led to +9v as shown in the original schematic and an spdt switch to change the response from up sweep to down.

Wouldn't I need a resistor between +9V and the led to avoid destroying it?

Hmmm, maybe...but there's no such resistor protecting the led to ground and the schematic at Folkurban doesn't show one for the led to +9V. All I've suggested is making both options switchable.

Edit: Aha! And I see the Dr's explanation was more in-depth than mine Smile
Edit2: ...and more accurate, since I see now that R1/R2 would "protect" either led.

invert.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.13 KB
 Viewed:  13822 Time(s)

invert.gif

kxspxr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
However, the LEDs function in this circuit is not to produce light, but to limit the range of the frequency controlling voltage.
--

It makes perfect sense now. Thanks for the thorough explanation. I'll install a switch as richardc64 suggested and begin working on a 4017 modular cv sequencer - I want to hook it up to the filter Smile

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: