electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Clock synching problems (of a different kind)
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
AngusHastie

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Clock synching problems (of a different kind) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the attached performance, I have a sequenced line going on in slot A at about 60bpm that starts when you press a key and runs for as long as you hold down the key. Tempo controlled by ClkGen set to Master. In slot C, there is a factory patch for a bass sound that I want to bring in later and use with the arpeggiator function - will come it at the same bpm because I've set the ClkGen module in A to "Master".
However, despite being the same bpm, the two patches can still be out of synch in terms of where they fall on the beat. I suppose this is because the ClkGen in A is patched to be manually reset by the Keyboard gate, whereas the arpeggiator function is based on some clock that just keeps ticking away!! However, I do need to be able to start the sequence by pressing a key rather than by just firing up the patch.
Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem - I assume it must be quite a common problem...? Obviously, the problem is more pronounced if you're using a slower arpeggiator rate that 1/16 notes.
Cheers, Angus

Bit of an animal.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Bit of an animal.prf2
 Filesize:  7.78 KB
 Downloaded:  1197 Time(s)

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I've experienced problems similar to this with all different devices.
Some devices can be manually synced with a key or button press.
This is necessary any time you want to sync up more than one arpeggiator or sequencer. Unfortunately, the G2 arpeggiator doesn't seem to have this capability. I believe it does respond to song position pointer, but then you have to be using something that can send SPP.
One solution is to program your own arpeggiator patch on the G2, or a sequencer-like patch that does something similar.
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So basically, the arpeggiator is not much use at all if you require any sort of synching Confused
Is there a way of gating the manual Clock reset so that it only lets a reset signal through at the same time as a clock pulse so that the reset is synched to the nearest beat? Question
Alternatively, what are the principles underlying the arpeggiator and is there an easy, economical way to emulate the same effect by building it into a patch?
Cheers, Angus
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:

Is there a way of gating the manual Clock reset so that it only lets a reset signal through at the same time as a clock pulse so that the reset is synched to the nearest beat?

Sure you can do that.

Rob has posted some examples in the past. It might help to have a look at the logic workshop for the NM Classic : http://www.clavia.se/nordmodular/Modularzone/LogicIntro.html

Or the last paragraph in http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhordijk/G2Pages/HandlingMusicalEventsInLogicalWays.htm , Also by Rob.

There should be some patches posted on this forum as well illustrating synchronization,.

Jan.
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one Jan. I'll check it out. Think S&H might be the answer.
And hopefully the arpeggiator runs in synch with the master clock when you first load up the patch so that any manual resets that are gated through an S&H module to clock impulses will stay in time.
By the way, don't suppose you have an answer to my other issue I posted - can't seem to record sequences by connecting the keyboard note and gate outputs to the NoteSeq Rec and Trig inputs. Sometimes it recognises the keyboard pitch, but it never advances a step with each key press.
Thanks again, Angus Very Happy
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:

By the way, don't suppose you have an answer to my other issue I posted

Indeed I don't have an answer. I did see your question & know that it can be made work but I never tried it myself.

Jan.
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This should work better..i ve no G2 here to check..
In general its beter to use pulses to reset devices and never use the reset input of the clock generator when you want to be in sync with other slots or extaernal gear.

Sven

Bit of an 2.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Bit of an 2.prf2
 Filesize:  7.9 KB
 Downloaded:  1486 Time(s)

3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry..This one should work better...its better to dont reset the clockgenerator with the keygate...it should run in sync with the system clock without being disturbed...
and i found it usefull to have the the active state as a resetsource..But that mostly helps when you patch while things are running because ayou will have a resetpuls after recompilation than....

And an edit... The sequencer is now reseting on the syncpuls and on the gate pulse... If you dont want that just remove the one you dont like and get rid of the mixermodule...
The main thing is to dont use the reset input of the clockgenerator

Bit of an 2.2.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Bit of an 2.2.prf2
 Filesize:  7.9 KB
 Downloaded:  1421 Time(s)

AngusHastie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3Phase - I checked out your patch and it had some quirks that sometimes made it reset in strange places!
Actually, on Jan's recommendation, I just stuck an S&H module in the line for the manual reset so that keyboard gate manual clock resets are synched with 1/16 note clock pulses and it seems to work perfectly. Also used the same signal to reset the clock divider that triggers the OscPerc module (which I am using to send to outputs 3/4 for a metronome for our drummer) to avoid triggering the metronome on off beats.

Bit of an animal.prf2
 Description:
32 note harmonised sequence + metronome with manual reset synched to nearest 1/16 note clock pulse.

Download
 Filename:  Bit of an animal.prf2
 Filesize:  7.81 KB
 Downloaded:  1178 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:

Actually, on Jan's recommendation,

Actually it was Rob's recomendation :-)

Jan.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: