electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Gibson Dusk Tiger
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Gibson Dusk Tiger Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More info has just arrived:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dusk-Tiger.aspx
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the warranty:

Quote:

Not Covered:

Any factory installed electronics after a period of one (I) year following the original date of purchase.

Bloody hell!
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps they are not confident in the durability of those servo-motors.

I suppose you could sell it used before the year is up and get most of your money back. Wink

Some old stuff on VIRB
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apparently that is the general Gibson warranty for products outside the US. I thought one year warranty for "parts and labour" was not uncommon(?).

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must admit I would have expected 5 years, its a fairly expensive guitar!

In the England by law retailers are responsible for faulty good for 6 years so I should be able to get redress from the dealer is something goes terribly wrong in that period.

Do they not have these laws in the USA?
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah looks like I am going to have to wait till 18/02/2010 for mine!

How does it take over two months to get from the USA to here?
DrJustice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Do they not have these laws in the USA?

I don't know. In Norway it's usually 2 years for normal warranty, and then 5 years of "reklamasjonsrett" (don't know an English term for this). With the latter, things become woolly though. I'm used to it being either 1 year or a "lifetime" warranty for US items, IIRC. If I bought a guitar in Norway, the 2 or 5 year thing would apply unless something else has been agreed upon, I think.

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My Dusk Tiger has arrived in the UK Smile

Unfortunately I am in Denmark Sad
DrJustice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
My Dusk Tiger has arrived in the UK Smile

Unfortunately I am in Denmark Sad

Oh no.... Might as well get it shipped to Morokulien then - at least I'm at home Razz

I'm stoked for you, man! Looking forward to your report thumleft

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update for you on Thursday night Very Happy
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been playing with the guitar quite a bit now and I must admit I really like it.

Basics
====

It looks better in real life than on the photos, the body is actually quite small but the depth is around the same as a LP.

The neck is pretty narrow for a LP which is good for me.

Even though this is meant to be a 'Light' guitar it is still pretty heavy compared to my other more svelte guitars.

The finish is not that great, the top and neck are good but the actual body has a rugged unfinished feel to it, also mine has scuffing on the underside. Not at all up to the quality I would expect for this amount of money. Also the etching on the truss rod cover is pretty bad, looks like it was etched by a weak mouse on acid!

It resonates very well with pretty long sustain.

The setup was perfect out of the box, intonation is also perfect. The setup is fairly low and the strings look like 10s to me.

The first issue is that it doesn't yet have a manual, one is apparently on the way and is being proof read at the moment.

With the gizmos turned off the guitar acts like a standard LP with two hum-buckers with volume controls but differs by having a shared tone control.

The Gibson site shows the neck PU as a P-90h and seems to say it acts as a single coil but it sure sounds like a hum-bucker to me. The bridge PU is a Burst Bucker 3.

Th PUs sound pretty good to me.

The extra knob is the MCK controller, I have only worked out the basics so far.

The system operates in four different modes with different functionality, identified by the
display colour:

• The Tune mode (blue) offers tuning selection without changing the current sound
• The Sound mode (green) offers sound selection without changing the current tuning
• The Preset mode (yellow) changes both tuning and sound.
• The Function mode (red) offers access to special functions and system behaviour.

When you first pull the MCK out it goes into the blue tuning mode, a blue letter in the middle signifies what tuning you want, you turn it to pick a tuning from this list:

Code:

S       Standard
i       Dropped D
C       Double Dropped D
E       Open E Major
A       Open A Major
D       Open D Major
G       Open G Major
B       E Flat
e       Open E Minor
Arrow   Low D
Circle  DADGAD

Around the edge of the knob the notes for each string are display in red, To tune you strum the guitar and the display for each string changes colour to show tuning status and turn greed to signify the string is tuned, if some stay red you just strum again until they all turn green.

The MCK then switched into the green mode. In this mode you can choose from 10 basic 'Tone' setups. Each Tone consists of pickup settings and EQ settings, the choices are:

{ ( tried to get the tabs to line up bit gave up in the end, sorry!)

(Ed: fixed table layout)

Code:

Pos Name    Comments / Settings
1 LP 1958   Toggle at Neck PU-position, 58er Les Paul character.

2 LP 1955,  Neck   Former Dark Fire preset optimized for Dusk Tiger. Original 55 LP, toggle on Neck PU.

3 LP 1955,  B and M  You get a Les Paul 55 character in both, bridge and middle position.

4 LP,       HeavyRythm,B Toggle at Bridge position. Les Paul 58 and 60 character, slightly ES 35,
            good for heavy rhythm sounds of the 80´s, Good attack, avoids muddy sound with rock & high gain sounds
            (depending on amp and distortion level).

5 335       Toggle at Neck PU-position to get a 335 character. Toggle middle position also nice.

6 Funky,    Neck   Toggle Neck position, "straty sound", at reduced volume good for funky chords.

7 Funky,    Bridge   Toggle on bridge position, typical strat bridge sound, get sharp rhythm  sound with attack.
            - Toggle on middle position, mix with both volume pots to personal taste.- Turn volumes down for "funky riff" sounds.

8 Twang,    Bridge   On bridge PU-position you get a nice and "twangy" Telecaster sound.
            - Toggle in middle position to get a transparent strat sound, adjust both mag volume pots to taste.
            - Turn bridge volume down for "sharp funky" rhythm sounds.

9 Twang,    Neck,Silver Toggle on Neck PU (single coil), carved out mid-range, smooth and soft silvery treble. Good for transparent chords

A Acoustic1,N,P30
            Toggle neck position. Piezo volume 25-30 %, add neck PU volume to taste.
            You get a full and rich tone depending on neck volume and piezo volume.

If you use gentle presses on the knob you can grange to the yellow bank, this bank allows you to setup a combination of tuning and tone. There are actually 8 yellow banks each with 10 presets. The first three banks are setup as follows, the rest are empty:

Code:

Yellow bank, userbank 1

Pos Name    Comments / Settings

Peg LP,Neck Hum,Comp   Toggle on Neck position. Good for clear chords, fine and transparent character.

I LP,Neck   Hum,Solo   Toggle on Neck and middle position. Mid-Range character, full and warm transparent tone and volume.

C LP,Solo,B,lowmid     
            Toggle at Bridge position. Les Paul 58 and 60 character.
            Toggle also on middle position, more lower mid-range for fatter Tone (depending on amp and distortion).

E LP,       Solo,Bridge Toggle at Bridge position. Les Paul 58 and 60 character,
            optimized for mid-range character to push solos (depending on amp and distortion).

A Gent      All positions Gretschy sound.
            - Neck position play rockabilly style
            - Middle position play intro of "paperback writer" or "daytripper",
            - Middle or neck position with piezo 20%, play simple arpeggios, think "Tom   Petty" style.
            - Middle position plus piezo by 25 - 30 %, think "the Who big chord riffs".
            - Middle position both mag PU: adjust both volume pots to taste for "special funky sounds"

D Jazzy,Bridge,P10 
            Neck & bridge PU on HB mode.
            -Toggle in middle position, add piezo volume to taste (max 20%)

G Funky,Mid,P30 
            Neck PU = single coil, Bridge PU = out of phase!
            - Toggle in middle position, set neck volume on 8 and bridge volume adjust to taste higher than 8.
            The higher the bridge volume, the more out of phase you get. Now add
            piezo volume to taste, sweet spot around 15 % piezo volume (think of
            Doobie Brothers "listen to the Music").
            - Go for thicker sounds by turning down the bridge volume, or go for
            thinner sounds by turning up the bridge volume.

B Twang,N,  Smooth Toggle on Neck position. You get richer mid-range, for jazzy Telecaster sounds.

e Twang,Neck,Sharp  Toggle on Neck PU (single coil), sharp attack, fits one or the other amp.

Arrow Acoust2,N,P10-30 
            Toggle neck position. Piezo volume 25-30 %, add neck PU volume totaste.
            You get a bright and rich silvery tone for light, silvery playing.

Circle  Reso Slide,Mid   
            - Sound 1: start with bridge PU on full volume and neck pickup on 5,
            adjust bridge volume to taste.Between 9 and 10 it starts going "out of
            phase" and starts sounding resonator like. With the treble PU on full
            volume you get a thin resonator sound, by turning back to 9 or 8 it gets
            thicker. Dial in piezo volume to taste. Play bottleneck style on open tunings.
            - Sound 2: Turn bridge volume to 10 and neck volume on 1. Now dial in
            bridge volume, the sound will get fuller until 9, between 9 and 10 it gets
            thinner again. Dial in piezo volume to taste.
            Play bottleneck style on open tunings.

Yellow bank, userbank 2

Pos     Name        Comments / Settings
Peg     L5          Original DarkFire Sound
I       Metal       Original DarkFire Sound
C       Funky       Original DarkFire Sound
E       Gibson      Original DarkFire Sound
A       Twang       Original DarkFire Sound
D       Rock        Original DarkFire Sound
G       Acoustic    Original DarkFire Sound
B       Blues       Original DarkFire Sound
e       Gibson      Original DarkFire Sound
Arrow   Gibson      Original DarkFire Sound
Circle  Gibson      Original DarkFire Sound

Yellow bank, userbank 3

Pos     Name        Comments / Settings
Peg     335         By Chris & Peter Weihe, created with Dark Fire
I       Funky       By Chris & Peter Weihe, created with Dark Fire
C       LP 1955 P90 By Chris & Peter Weihe, created with Dark Fire
E       LP 1958     By Chris & Peter Weihe, created with Dark Fire
A       Acoustic    Original Dark Fire Sound
D       Twang       Original Dark Fire Sound
G       Blues       Original Dark Fire Sound
B       Rock        Original Dark Fire Sound
e       L5          Original Dark Fire Sound
Arrow   Metal       Original Dark Fire Sound
Circle  Gibson      Original Dark Fire Sound

As you can see there is quite a few different sounds here and they do sound very different from each other.

More to follow i need my breakfast………...
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can set up the yellow patches using the "Gibson Chameleon Editor" this allows you to set up the pickups and place EQ on both the normal PUs and also the Piezo pickup.

The neck pickup can set set as a single or hum-bucker.

The bridge pickup can be set as a single, hum-bucker, double coil parallel or double coil out of phase.

This gives you 16 combinations of pickups (including the piezo), this combined with the pickup selection knob and pickup volumes gives a large control over the basic tone.

On top of this you have two four band parametric EQs, one for the mags and one for the piezo. The EQ combined with the pickup settings are what makes this guitar a bit special I think.

Ableton Live 8 Gibson Studio Edition is included, as well as well as a full version of NI Guitar Rig 4 Pro.

Now onto the RIP which is the stupid name given to the audio/control interface.

A stereo lead is used to connect the guitar to the RIP, 8 channels of audio are multiplexed down the stereo lead to the RIP which then works as a basic 8 channel to 2 channel mixer and a 8 in two out audio interface. The RIP is also used as an interface to the guitar to save presets, update firmware etc.

The 8 channels are Mag, Piexo mix and 6 individual piezo channels.

Also included is a lead for connecting roland 13 pin devices, I have tried this briefly with my Axon AX100mkii and it seems to work pretty well. I need to spend some more time setting up string sensitivities before I am really sure.

One problem I have with the RIP is that the levels to the computer are shit, the mags max is about -24db and the piezos at around -12db. You end up having to amplify in software which brings the noise level up to an unacceptable level. Also the piezo mix has some weird digital noise at -50DB in the 6.5K-8K range. The individual piezo outs do not suffer from this but do have a uniform hiss at around -70db.

Overall I am not very impressed with the RIP!
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the update Andy! Very Happy

Good to hear that you like the guitar. It's nice to get a good setup out of the box - since it has been Plek'ed it should at least have perfect frets.

The neck pickup, P90h, AFAIK is a coil stacked humbucker variety of the classic P90. And also AFAIK, there are coil split, parallel and reverse phase options, so there ought to be a true single coil sound in there somewhere.

Surely the RIP is not meant to have those level and noise issues... I hope you can get that fixed. Have you tried it with the VG yet (and/or Axon if you have one).

DJ

P.S. I took the liberty of editing the tabulation in your first report posting. Hope you don't mind!
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:

P.S. I took the liberty of editing the tabulation in your first report posting. Hope you don't mind!
--

Mind! Of course not, do you have a tip on how to do it simply?

I have tried it with the Axon, I haven't set up the sensitivities yet but it works very well.

You can get the single coil neck pickup but not without using the MCK, the 'normal' working of the guitar is a hum-bucker.

On further investigation the noise is there from the normal output as well, it is just that you don't seem to have to amplify it as much so it is not so noticeable. I will have a word with gibson support about it.

Cheers

Andy
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great info Andy! You're a great gear pioneer here at electro-music.com. Smile

/Stefan

DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
DrJustice wrote:

--

Mind! Of course not, do you have a tip on how to do it simply?

Use spaces instead of tabs, possibly a plain text editor with a fixed pitch font, and Bob(TheDog)'s your uncle Smile

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well here is an update:

It looks like I have a duff one as they shouldn't make the noise I have and they are going to replace it.

They are going to send a new one out to me and after it arrives they will collect this one and ship it off to the guys in white coats in the states to have a look at it.

The support I have got from Gibson has been top rate on this, I was dreading it after reading some of the stuff on the internet but it just goes to prove that you cannot believe everything you read.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been over a month - have you got a replacement yet?

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, I had a replacement from the shop in a couple of days.

This one is much better but still suffers from noise, for some reason Gibson don't seem to believe in shielding from what I can see.

Build quality of the second is a bit better but still in the £300 guitar quality.

The RIP box and 13 pin out is not good, lots of noise. Pretty hopeless with the VG99.

Overall I would not recommend one.

My Brian Moore 13 pin guitar cost half the amount and is four times the quality.

The gibson does sound nice as long as you don't have any of the electronics turned on and just use it as a normal LP.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And still no manual available, not even sure how to change the strings!
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man.

Sorry to hear that, Andy.

Some old stuff on VIRB
DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang! That's a bummer. I really hope they'll sort this out. They have to get it right this time FFS. The promise of it is quite enticing...

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys.

It's a bit of a Love/Hate thing with this guitar, the last post I made was from Hate side.

There are positives from the Love side; The self tuning works well, it resonates and sustains well and it sounds nice.

It just looks like it has been put together by people with no care in what they do, maybe the guys working on constructing these guitars at Gibson are pretty unhappy or something.

As an example I went to adjust the truss rod the other day as the neck has developed a bit of a reverse bow. Both screws holding the cover on have been rounded off by the person that screwed them in, this person obviously didn't give a shit about the guitar or their work quality!

I am sticking with the guitar, I am hoping that the hiss when the MCK is pulled out may be fixed with a firmware update, I am sure it is the eq section doing it and there are meant to be relays in there that disconnect the eq section when it is not in use, my bet is there is a little bug there that doesn't do this. I can live without the eq but the pickup switching I want.

The hiss is not that noticeable when you stick it straight through a guitar amp as the high frequencies just don't get through the speakers, straight into the computer and you really notice them.

I am going to RMA the RIP box as well, mine must be bad I think.

Having read the early DF posts it just seems that DT owners are going through the same old shit.

Cheers

Andy
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: