electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
deleted
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: deleted Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deleted
Last edited by visitor on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've sold two V-Synths over the past few years, mainly because Kyma can do this stuff so well. Really, however, you're overlooking one of the best ways to do it: the Tau process. To do what Variphrase does, you're going to need to use something that analyzes audio in (keep in mind that Kyma can do this in realtime on incoming audio too) and Tau is a pretty good way to go about it.
visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deleted
Last edited by visitor on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are, of course, other ways to do it in Kyma... spectral resynthesis for one. I suggested Tau because it's fairly quick and easy to get good results. I am not in my studio today, so I can't suggest specific Sounds offhand... you'll have to dig around. I had a VariOS too, actually.. that was some time ago, though!
visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deleted
Last edited by visitor on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The V-Synth and VariOS are two different creatures, built on the simpler sampling technology. Yeah, you put a D-50 card in the mkII version of the V-Synth, but, as is the case with the VariOS, you have to reboot the machine as a D-50. The VariOS had the software sequencer thing that allowed you to make arrangements with the samples, that doesn't exist on the V-Synth. The V-Synth is more of a performance instrument. It gives you lots of ways to manipulate your patches live. It really is quite different. Definitely not a modern D-50... that's a description that better fits many of Roland's other instruments over the past twenty years.

I kind of regret selling my V-SynthGT. I liked that performance aspect. I also liked the fact that the entire onboard sample memory was over-writeable, since I rarely ever use anyone else's samples.

Kyma can do all of what both can do, but the trick is that it requires more effort on the user's part - at least initially. Once you've designed and patched your Kyma Sound, you can save it and treat it like a synth unto itself. The performance aspects are all there, too, but you have to supply the controllers. Lately I've been using Kyma Control on the iPad and it's been very cool. You could easily program the "tablet" mode to act like the V-Synth's Time-Trip pad, (I think something like it is already in the Kyma Sound Library). It's good fun.
ikarus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys

is it really possible to say create one device on kyma that can clone a Vsynth engine ? and then by simple selecting different samples it will allow realtime stretching and formant shifting ?i would love to see that Kyma patch or some get a pointer toward library patches.

My own thoughts were that Tau would have to individually scan and analyze each sample you wanted to use before you can go any further ? is there a realtime analyzer in Kyma ? i never found that .

I still use the vsynth and vp 9000 here ( both very different sound wise and also having very different qualities when stretching also.) and i would love to explore Kyma with this side of things .

With vsynth etc i bulk convert / analyze samples so i can quickly browse and try different vocal takes etc but in Kyma i dont think thats so easy >?

the world needs Kyma vsynth patch and i need a link Smile
ikarus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oops
taylor12k

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

are you basically looking for time stretching capabilities?

i've never used a vsynth or variphrase.. what are the parameters you're trying to duplicate?
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pretty sure there is not real time tau analysis in Kyma, I could be wrong though as I am no expert!

There is quite a bit that can be done with spectrum stuff though in real time.
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I forgot about this thread... yeah, if you want realtime analysis, it'll be best to use Kyma's spectral processing. However, if the idea is to emulate the Rolands, then real-time analysis isn't necessary. The Rolands had to perform a non-realtime analysis, too. What you may not be able to do is to devise a way by which analyzed sounds can be accessed instantly from within the VCS (might be possible - I never tried it). I have never created a dedicated V-Synth emulation on the Kyma... I tend to do my Kyma stuff in a fairly piece-meal manner. I have, however made an used Sounds that performed the same functions as various bits of the V-Synth. Keep in mind that there would be no single emulative form that the Sound could take, since the V-Synth itself is semi-modular (you can patch in different filters, effects, oscillator types for each step in the signal path and even reroute them).

However, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something that does what you wanted... combine a spectral analysis/playback patch with an analog modeling Sound and shuttle them into various filters and effects.

If I have time, I might give it a go this week.

Last edited by Scot Solida on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should point out that the Tau stuff can do the realtime formant and time/pitch shifting on a pre-analyzed sample, so I am still of the mind that this would be the best starting point.
ikarus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scot Solida wrote:
I should point out that the Tau stuff can do the realtime formant and time/pitch shifting on a pre-analyzed sample, so I am still of the mind that this would be the best starting point.

can tau analyze audio files in bulk ? and auto create all the files needed so it would then be more viable to create a bank of sounds as the vsynth does.
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is batch processing of samples in Kyma - though I have no idea if it works with the Tau analysis tool or not. I have never tried that (and I am not in the studio at the moment). I'm not sure it would be terribly beneficial to do it that way, since part of what makes Tau processing so useful is the control it gives you over the creation of the Tau and psi files it makes. That's the thing about Kyma: very little is quick or instantaneous. However, the results are usually well worth the extra effort.

I was inspired by this thread to create a custom synth based on Tau files, but my efforts were interrupted by the flu. I'll get back into it when I am well. It isn't a copy of a V-Synth, but is nevertheless designed to perform some similar functions, such as scrubbing through the audio using an iPad or Wacom tablet (in place of the Time-trip pad).
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scot Solida wrote:
There is batch processing of samples in Kyma - though I have no idea if it works with the Tau analysis tool or not. I have never tried that (and I am not in the studio at the moment). I'm not sure it would be terribly beneficial to do it that way, since part of what makes Tau processing so useful is the control it gives you over the creation of the Tau and psi files it makes. That's the thing about Kyma: very little is quick or instantaneous. However, the results are usually well worth the extra effort.

I agree!

However, the Batch Spectral Analysis tool does create Psi files (and Spc and GA, but not Tau). You'll have to do any alignment in the Tau Editor, yourself, unless you're fine with the Psi files on their own.

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: