electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Totaly lost
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Lfohead

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Totaly lost Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lets put it this way

I dont want to be spoonfed,

But i feel like im standing on block 1 still, after so many years..

I have read everything in "Where to find tutorials and interesting sites" topic, as well as everything i can find in wikipedia and other sites so many times i lost the counting, to watching University Lectures (Periodic Phenomena) on video..

And just to point out, the resources here are amazing for no missunderstanding..

Im not saying ive understood everything, but i feel like i can put nothing into practice while working..

Im aware of one problem that lies with me, and that is im not a parrot learner.. even if i know how to use a thing, and use it doesnt mean i understand it.. And if i dont understanding i feel like im just clicking and draging without awareness of what exactly is happening..

Sorry for sounding negative, the frustration is undescribable..

All help is appreciated
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

May be that is what happens when knowledgeable people are around?

When I read Tim's posts I sometimes have that seem feeling that I should know more about the G2.

Anyway, you say "just clicking and dragging" I just do that from time to time, and I think it gave me an intuitive knowledge of the G2. It is not that I don't have any background or do not know what the modules do, although my musical theoretical background is is not a strong point ... and some detail knowledge about the modules is still lacking (some of the details are needlessly complex I think).

Maybe the point is whether you have fun with the synth or not ... I still have a lot of fun with it.

A while ago I bought this Kyma thingie, and I'm in a position with that one that may be comparable to what you experience with the G2 .. I have to think a lot when I patch on it and have to constantly look up things ... this is not really very much fun, I often just fall back to the G2 and work out my idea there .. yet I know that the only way through that is to just throw together stuff more often, to just see what happens, and then one day things will seem easier ...

Oh well, just my ramblings Laughing

May you find the joy again!

tiptaptempo

G2 patch files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hej,

I think the G2 is made for a very "fixed" musical project IMHO when you play the G2 into an "intuitive" and low level scientific point of view.
There is so much tricks to applying and learning that sometimes you loose your creativity. It's like if you had a giant modular synth of 2 meters and 50 kgs in frony of you.

A good way is to turning back the g2 into an other instrument. i mean not a piano or an emulation synth sound. That's what i do, i'm tweaking drums into it, and even if if this is very hard, it's still cool however !

Hope this brings you courage !
Very Happy
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2 has many faces - can do many things - and I personally don't think it's necessary to understand it down deep to make good use of it.

I tend to go with my emotions when it comes to music, and I like the G2 simply because I often end up with sounds that I like. Be it an LFO through a rudely modulated delay or just a preset that was shipped with the machine (I think the G2 has the best presets!). But the G2 can serve just as well as a swiss army knife tool - do you need an extra oscillator? A wet delay or a distorted reverb? Patch it up! There is no mandatory requirement saying you have to use it every day or even every month.

If none of this makes sense maybe it just isn't what you need, and you should get something else. If you're struggling with something specific, start a new thread here and maybe someone can help or just give a random shout. I for one hunger for threads like that.

veta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stop reading the manuals & tutorials... just play with the thing!

find some interesting patches that others have made & start tweaking & modifying them and listen to what happens... even if you don't fully understand what you're doing! try connecting random outputs to random inputs. why not? you won't damage anything and you can always undo something if you don't like it.

if you do this long enough you will start to develop an intuitive knowledge of the synth (and basic synthesis concepts). this is invaluable. you will be learning by DOING and not by reading.

...but if you don't get a basic enjoyment out of patching and tweaking and experimenting, it's possible the G2 just isn't the synth for you. perhaps a non-modular synth would be better.
Lfohead

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, every and each of you for the kind replies
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: