electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Non-volatile (=storable) tap-tempo/manual-control delay
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Non-volatile (=storable) tap-tempo/manual-control delay
Subject description: Control-circuit for 1s delay line
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Yesterday my last G2X left the building. Quite a moment...

Nevertheless, as mentioned in previous posts in this sub-section, I'm scouring my personal patches and extracting any sub-circuits that might be of interest or use to anyone.

The objective of this building block is to equip a delay-effect both with tap-tempo functionality that is non-volatile (meaning that the tapped tempo remains stored in the variation/patch) and manual control. So when you tap a new delay time, the manual control changes accordingly. Also, the manual control should be smoothed (glitch-less), but tapped delay values should snap immediately in order to not generate any "warbles".

One method to do this would be via MIDI CC# modules and accordingly assigned knobs (sending the tapped value as a MIDI CC# to the delay time knob). But this method has a serious drawback, as the CC#-send modules lack a "this slot" option, meaning that one would have to modify the patch each time it is loaded into another slot, which is unpractical and confusing.

This building-block "abuses" Laughing the note recording feature of the NoteSequencer module as a non-volatile value storage device. The corresponding note value knob neatly also provides manual control. The value display will be nonsensical (in form of note pitches), but in this kind of scenario delay time adjustment is done by ear anyway, with the LED-collar serving as a rough visual guide.

It is designed to control a 1 second delay line. The first tap on the button is taken as the start reference, and the second tap will define the delay length. Any further taps after that, that occur within one second, will again be taken as the length (without averaging). After a second, the circuit again goes into "waiting mode" and will take the first tap as the start reference.

The controlled delay will discretely jump to new tapped values. Manual control however is smoothed (adjustable) as to prevent the cascade of crackles that occurs when sweeping wide ranges without this precaution.

The delay time value output is bipolar -see how to set and connect a 1s delay line correctly in the demo circuit. Of course, you can add a LevelConverter module and do this in a more straightforward way, but I wanted to keep it as economical as possbile because of the f*cking irritcough zeropage memory limits.

DSP usage: 4.1% cycles, 10.9% memory (just the control section without a 1s delay module)

Prepared for publication using the demo software.

cheers,
t

StoreTapTemDlyTK.pch2
 Description:
Control-circuit for 1s delay module, offering non-volatile (=storable) delay tap-tempo as well as smooth manual control.

Download
 Filename:  StoreTapTemDlyTK.pch2
 Filesize:  2.2 KB
 Downloaded:  3798 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-volatile (=storable) tap-tempo/manual-control delay

Tim Kleinert wrote:

Poor thing .. not too many tears? and I hope it found a good new home!

The good news of course is that we will now see an endless stream of demo compatible patches Laughing

Interesting objective too.

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-volatile (=storable) tap-tempo/manual-control delay

Blue Hell wrote:
Tim Kleinert wrote:

Poor thing .. not too many tears? and I hope it found a good new home!

I think it found a great home (hi Rüdiger Smile, if you're reading this). But no, no tears. As a live performer, the Kurzweil PC3K does everything I need. And as an DSP autodidact, I'd rather spend my energies on mastering more complex concepts rather than making simpler ones possible on the G2 via endless fiddling with kludge solutions. It's so liberating to just klick a "divide" module onto the screen in Reaktor. Go figure. Wink (Give me real-time full-scale division on the G2 and I'll patch anti-aliased BLEP algorithms and solve the G2 hard-sync problem for good...)

Quote:
The good news of course is that we will now see an endless stream of demo compatible patches Laughing

Laughing Well, not endless perhaps, but I have folders full of sketches, experiments and patches for personal use. Most of it is nonsensical or too specific. But whenever I spot something unique that might be generally useful, I'll post it for posterity. "Posting for posterity" -now that's a good sig. Laughing

cheers,
t
herman

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot for this trick !
xav

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh... I'm discovering that wonderful design. Thank you very much. I wish you still were in this group with our toy Smile Maybe we all should use reaktor Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: