electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Appendage Ribbon Controller PC Board Orders for 2020
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [57 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
1) there is "octave", "semitone" and "fine" on the panel, but I only see "coarse" and "fine" in the schematic.

Looking at a portion of my panel, I have two pots labeled COARSE and FINE and these have to do with the amount of DC voltage OFFSET you can dial into the MIX output. This agrees with the schematic. Thus, FINE maps to FINE OFFSET and COARSE maps to COARSE OFFSET Very Happy

Looking at the Euro panel, the FINE control has been preserved but the COARSE has been replaced by possibly the OCTAVE control. The SEMITONE has been added. In any event, this appears to be a modification of deviation from the original intent. Thus, FINE maps to FINE and COARSE maps to OCTAVE (?) and SEMITONE is an added tap?

Anyone else want to take a crack at it?

mixer_sms.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.15 KB
 Viewed:  35407 Time(s)

mixer_sms.JPG

euro_mix_sect.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.53 KB
 Viewed:  35408 Time(s)

euro_mix_sect.JPG

LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Had a quick look at the schematics, interesting!
I will say though LM78l10 is quite a rare part, a quick check learned that neither Mouser nor Conrad and Reichelt (I am in Europe) have it. There's also a low power version of the LM317, in a TO92 package, not sure if that's a lot easier to get, and you'd need a couple more resistors, but it is lower noise (might be interesting for a reference voltage).
sixbyseven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LFLab wrote:
Had a quick look at the schematics, interesting!
I will say though LM78l10 is quite a rare part, a quick check learned that neither Mouser nor Conrad and Reichelt (I am in Europe) have it. There's also a low power version of the LM317, in a TO92 package, not sure if that's a lot easier to get, and you'd need a couple more resistors, but it is lower noise (might be interesting for a reference voltage).

This one could work from mouser: http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/UA78L10ACLP/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtYFXwiBRPs09RzkWTcStIH

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the UA78L10 will work just fine. Thanks for finding the alternate part number Very Happy
philpeery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Appendage Boards? YES please! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bill,

If you do another small run of through hole boards, I would definitely take 2! I've already built a pair with a 500mm and 1000mm soft-pot with 5U panels, and they are some of the best projects I have ever put together. I am building a small modular for a good friend of mine so we can do music projects over the internet, and it seems that an Appendage is a required module!

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed! Thanks!

Best,
Phil
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If you do another small run of through hole boards, I would definitely take 2! I've already built a pair with a 500mm and 1000mm soft-pot with 5U panels, and they are some of the best projects I have ever put together. I am building a small modular for a good friend of mine so we can do music projects over the internet, and it seems that an Appendage is a required module!

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed! Thanks!

Hi Phil

I should be getting the through hole version boards by the end of this week. Payment details are at the top of this thread. Do you have a post on this project? I would like to see the 5U panel softpot arrangement. YOu can PM me or just post a PIC here. Cool

Bill
philpeery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Bill, can't wait to get another set!

So my panel was patterned after the Sythesizers.com panel that Scot Solida did. Plus, some other guy (ahem) did an awesome gold one that also had influence on my panel as well! Since I am a MOTM 5U guy, I did have to make some adjustments to get everything in. I will dig up the design file and post it when I get some time.

Best,
Phil
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boards are now available for sale. Please go to Page 1 of this thread for ordering details.

Thank You Very Happy

Bill

Appendage_Rev_J_PCB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.01 MB
 Viewed:  2049 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Appendage_Rev_J_PCB.jpg

PakirRS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm almost finished converting the latest schematic to DipTrace using just SMD parts. Right now it looks like it would fit on perhaps 100x100mm.
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
100x100mm.

Wow. That's more like it. The original always seemed like it was both an imposing thing to build and huge. Best of luck.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm almost finished converting the latest schematic to DipTrace using just SMD parts. Right now it looks like it would fit on perhaps 100x100mm.

welcome and thanks for joining the EM forum Cool Sounds like some great work here. Are you planning on using finer pitched headers to save on space? Also, SMD headers can also be used. Would like to see the layout when completed.
flab

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like there are going to be sevelar pcbs version for that beautiful project Twisted Evil
PakirRS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm using SMD 2.54mm headers on the reverse side of the board. That way a simple board with panel mounted stuff can be made easily.

I won't include the MOTM or other format power headers. The 10-pin box header for Eurorack is taking up enough space as it is.

I can post the schematic file (DipTrace .dch) if anyone would like to check for errors. I send free boards for the effort perhaps? Smile
flab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i thought elegil doing that SMD pcb run, oh well.

State machine, do you have any pictures of any gallery of past build machines using your beautiful project?
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

flab wrote:
i thought elegil doing that SMD pcb run, oh well.

State machine, do you have any pictures of any gallery of past build machines using your beautiful project?

I'm much much slower than anyone else looking at this Very Happy
PakirRS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a busy board with wires all over the place, but current format is 3x3.6".

I'm not really concerned with others doing the same board. I'm only doing this since I've made it a mission to design all the boards in my synth myself.
The only reason I posted here is because people were asking for an SMD version and I always order 5 or 10 pcs anyway and I won't build 5 or 10 ribbon controllers Smile

Last edited by PakirRS on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
elmegil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I certainly don't have any heartburn over other people doing layouts. As I say I'm going to be slow, I'd be surprised if I have anything before 6 months.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It's a busy board with wires all over the place, but current format is 3x3.6".

I'm not really concerned with others doing the same board. I'm only doing this since I've made it a mission to design all the boards in my synth myself.
The only reason I posted here is because people were asking for an SMD version and I always order 5 or 10 pcs anyway and I won't build 5 or 10 ribbon controllers Smile

Any more progress on this version?
PakirRS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm waiting for the boards to arrive at the moment.. I might have them within 2wks or so.

Hopefully there won't be too many errors Smile

The dimensions are 91x81mm.

appa_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  291.26 KB
 Viewed:  1955 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

appa_001.jpg

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm waiting for the boards to arrive at the moment.. I might have them within 2wks or so.

Hopefully there won't be too many errors Smile

The dimensions are 91x81mm.

The layout looks very good !! Certainly more compact. Eager to see your post on the results. I like the use of the SMT headers opposite component side to allow more efficient use of board real estate. I did not take a deep dive but did you add the expansion signals that I had on the through hole board?
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dayum, that is densely compacted.
PakirRS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
I did not take a deep dive but did you add the expansion signals that I had on the through hole board?

I don't think so. If they're not on the headers, they were left out..
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was ordering several other parts for other projects and figured I'd throw in the softpot and a few other parts.

Except Mouser no longer has the 500mm softpot, only the shorter ones, and a 750. So I ordered the 750....

I should have looked at a meter stick before I did that, OMG it's huge! Very Happy
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I was ordering several other parts for other projects and figured I'd throw in the softpot and a few other parts.

Except Mouser no longer has the 500mm softpot, only the shorter ones, and a 750. So I ordered the 750....

I should have looked at a meter stick before I did that, OMG it's huge! Very Happy

FYI:

I just took a shot and did a search in Amazon fro the 500 mm version and I saw one supplier with 10 in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/SPECTRA-SYMBOL-SoftPot-Membrane-Potentiometer/dp/B004G51D06/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515722103&sr=8-2&keywords=softpot+membrane+potentiometer

Bill
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to know, but I have this one, I'm probably going to at least try it out.... May not stick it down until I've played with it a little bit, but we'll see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [57 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: