electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Manuals, Instructions, and Documents
Hohner EK4 E4 string and brass ensemble
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
valvusmusicus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Hohner EK4 E4 string and brass ensemble Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All
My EK4 has a duff string section-but the brass works fine-sort of!!
The string section just produces an extreemly low level distorted sound-and the vib on the brass only works when the strings are switched off, via the front panel
Checked all the obvious, dry joints, power rails, dodgy connectors
Does anyone have a schematic please-or is there another synth its based on that I could look for
Uses TDA1008 dividers, a master osc for the strings, I think-or does this produce the brass sounds as well please?

Thanks in anticipation

have lots to swap
Oskar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesteing question! However, the subforum's name, "Strings and things," refers to actual stringed instruments like guitar, bass, cello, violin etc. I'll place this thread in a more suitable subforum, as your chances of getting the right people to read it will be better.
valvusmusicus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Woops!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry about that
Thanks for placing it in the correct forum
Rolling Eyes
Oskar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nae problemo! And welcome to the Madhoos! salut
Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*bump*
bunker

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My Hohner Stringvox is actually an Elex design. Most, if not all the PCB's have Elex on them and Hohner were renownd for 'badge engineering' a lot of their keyboards (the venerable Logan String Melody appeared as a Hohner if I'm not mistaken.) Have a look around for other Italian ensemble keyboards of the era; chances are your E4 was originally sold as something else like a Jen etc.

Hope this helps..

Although they don't have the E4 listed you could always try Bill/Nigel over at WD Greenhill. Super helpful and a real mine of information...

http://www.wdgreenhill.com/
bunker

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you manage to get anywhere with your Hohner? I saw this whilst having a look around. Seems to back my theory up

http://analogue-heaven.1065350.n5.nabble.com/Hohner-International-EK4-td38991.html

In the article it mentions the EK4 as being called 'Stringer'. There was a Jen Stringer that originated in Italy, my guess is they are the same instrument. I didn't think the EK4 (K4) had a brass section? Confused

I've got a feeling your brass section is just the string section with the ensemble switch off. If so my first port of call would definitely be the switch itself. The tend to connect one or several sub circuits to ground when they are switched in. All sorts of craziness can (and will) happen if these contacts foul up or break (been there, done that). Id advise a very close inspection, a good spray with some contact cleaner and a few operations of the switches. After that you might want to check the connections into and out of the ensemble board as its effectively placed into the signal path by the switch. I doubt you've got a fault on the ensemble PCB but it's not impossible. If you're handy with a multimeter AND WITH THE POWER OFF! you could check the continuity of the switch and associated wiring. Sorry to if I sound like I'm telling you to suck eggs; I'm a qualified electrician so I know how to work safely and I therefore don't advocate risk taking by the uninitiated!!

Let us know how you get on. I can always dig my Stringvox out and run through the internals if it'll help?
NerveJam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: HOHNER EK 2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a Hohner EK 2. (Looks the same as an EK 4..)

It was described by the seller as "only bass working".
It turns out that ALL sounds are actually working, it's just that:
1. some sounds are on the LEFT channel, others on the RIGHT. Check both!
2. If the strings are quiet, turn off "CRESCENDO". Works on mine.

However, I need to replace most of the sliders as they are snapped off / broken / missing.

I also need a schematic to sort the "CRESCENDO" issue.

I DO know that the EK 2 was also sold as an EXCELSIOR EK 2, but there is no documentation on that either.

Hohner themselves have no info, as it's really an ELEX..

Any help gratefully received!

NerveJam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bunker wrote:
Did you manage to get anywhere with your Hohner? I saw this whilst having a look around. Seems to back my theory up

http://analogue-heaven.1065350.n5.nabble.com/Hohner-International-EK4-td38991.html

In the article it mentions the EK4 as being called 'Stringer'. There was a Jen Stringer that originated in Italy, my guess is they are the same instrument. I didn't think the EK4 (K4) had a brass section? Confused

I've got a feeling your brass section is just the string section with the ensemble switch off. If so my first port of call would definitely be the switch itself. The tend to connect one or several sub circuits to ground when they are switched in. All sorts of craziness can (and will) happen if these contacts foul up or break (been there, done that). Id advise a very close inspection, a good spray with some contact cleaner and a few operations of the switches. After that you might want to check the connections into and out of the ensemble board as its effectively placed into the signal path by the switch. I doubt you've got a fault on the ensemble PCB but it's not impossible. If you're handy with a multimeter AND WITH THE POWER OFF! you could check the continuity of the switch and associated wiring. Sorry to if I sound like I'm telling you to suck eggs; I'm a qualified electrician so I know how to work safely and I therefore don't advocate risk taking by the uninitiated!!

Let us know how you get on. I can always dig my Stringvox out and run through the internals if it'll help?

Couple of things:
On the Hohner EK2, the brass settings affect the strings. Switching brass on kills the sustain, for one thing. So you are correct, it's the same board.
(I have one, with a fault on the "Crescendo" function) probably a dead cap, but which one?

Also, I had a (broken) Hohner Stringer years ago. They were made by ELEX in Italy as well.. (So was the EK 2/EK 4)
Unfortunately, that doesn't help much, as there's no info on the ELEX models, either..

I have some docs for the Hohner String Performer, which I got from Hohner themselves (they don't have any docs for anything produced by ELEX, sadly)

Finally, has anyone got any parts for an EK 2 or EK4? I need sliders and/or anything you have.. cash..

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Manuals, Instructions, and Documents
Jump to: