electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
No Input Mixer Tutorial video | Sarah Belle Reid
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: No Input Mixer Tutorial video | Sarah Belle Reid
Subject description: No Input Mixer Tutorial video | Sarah Belle Reid
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shared by a friend on FB. Cool

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice .. now I better find some patch cords over the weekend .. I only have 5 strips instead of 8 .. but otherwise the very same mixer .. but then again almost any mixer with a hand full of channels would work .. oh thats five Razz

Reminds me of one ofthe first "instruments" (after the obligate recorder) I've played .. which was a tube amp with some feedback wires and some coils and caps & stuff Cool

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love that first instrument! Mine was a portable keyboard organ which my kid brother won as a loaner + trial lessons. He didn't want them so I took them, but when my parents said they couldn't afford to pay for lessons, I gave it up.

The first instrument I fell in love with 6 or 7 years later was the 5-string banjo at the Philadelphia Folk Festival in 1971. Went home and cut the two bass strings off my electric guitar, re-tuned the others so I could start learning banjo chords until I could afford to buy an inexpensive one that year.

I also love the zero-input mixer. Sarah Belle Reid didn't get into putting fx in the feedback loop, or post-mixer signal processing. I like using granular fx in Live downstream from the mixer, seems like the mixer waveforms lend themselves nicely to granular processing. She also didn't mention beats of two fed-back mixer stereo channels that are slightly de-tuned. The final mix happens in the air, and I find I can get much better beat signals there than within the electronics. Usually the channels just average, or one channel dominates, if you bleed L and R together in the mixer. Better to tune them a little apart and mix them in the air.

When I played behind Howard & Bill's Chez Mosc two Augusts ago (time flies), I mostly mixed up pads that harmonized with their leads. I should lay down a conventional melodic track with other instrument(s), and ZIM over top of that. That would work for an EM webcast, although it may be New Year until I have time to do one. September with school starting back up is very busy.

I just found out that I got a grant proposal funded to bring the Princeton Laptop Orchestra to our planetarium on December 2. Not sure whether to advertise - may fill the 85 seats with students & faculty. Anyway, I plan to run this video of the first movement of From the No World that I performed in the June 2016 Solstice Webcast and visualized last November. I don't usually play prerecorded material, but it cries out for the planetarium dome, and I figured out what to play at performance time: Spatialization. Since it is a stereo recording I can start out simple and split the room in half (6 or 8 speakers arranged in a circle around the edge of the room), but then I can rotate those halves. More interesting thing to try is to use bandpass filters on each of the two stereo channels, and split them into bass, tenor, and soprano parts.

1roomstudio

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you so much for sharing this!

That’s cool… this reminds of back in the 80’s in the studio. Take a simple sound source on a tape loop and run it through a Slap Back echo on Record fed into and out of 8 successive mixer ports and then play with faders … crazy unexpected heaven and hell could come forth… eventually the tape would start to degrade and you get this warm analogue version of a bit crush like distortion…

Those were the days…

I’ve only recently been introduced to ZIM (also on this forum) and that video inspired me to give it a try!

Not what I started out to do this morning... but life is an adventure... after all. 😎

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdOj3y4Q55K2nUX688PDt5Q

Reality is one thing... Perception is everything
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: