electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Integrating a Yamaha keyboard into a homemade synth
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
kris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Integrating a Yamaha keyboard into a homemade synth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys,

I have almost no prior experience with CPU's so I would like help with my project:).
I dissected the and intend to use it for my synth by translating the logic to a range of voltages and then control the synth by voltage per octave. Can someone explain to me what exactly is going on at the keyboard section? I have an idea but I can't really trust myself on this one. And how would I translate the keys to a range of voltages? Should I still use decoders?
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1528785/Yamaha-Psr-E413.html?page=58#manual
Any help from more experienced people would be grand, be it a plan or some tips.
Edit: If I'm not mistaken notes are grouped (in 6) on to the same pin that leads to the decoder. This confuses me as to how polyphony works on this keyboard.

Cheers!
smmpcomposer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Kris,

I see it's been a while since you posted this one, hope you have found a solution already!

What do you exactly mean? Are you trying to use a yamaha keyboard as a volt/octave controller?
kris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

smmpcomposer wrote:
Hi Kris,

I see it's been a while since you posted this one, hope you have found a solution already!

What do you exactly mean? Are you trying to use a yamaha keyboard as a volt/octave controller?

Hi smmp,

turns out it's something called a diode scanning network.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kris wrote:

turns out it's something called a diode scanning network.

yep, and it is probably one of those most common techniques used if you have something with a lot of buttons/switches.
The CPU scans through the rows and columns to see if there are any connections. If you want to use the keybed to control
something else while also still being part of the current keyboard it's going to be very difficult. Otherwise you could use
something like an arduino to scan the keybed and with the help of a DAC create a voltage.

Does it have midi out ? I do see a USB port but I can't quickly see what that is used for. If it does have midi it could make things
a lot easier although USB might be tricky to work with.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: