electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
NordLead3 and Psy Trance?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: NordLead3 and Psy Trance? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[Moderator] Thread splitt from http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-31679.html [/Moderator]

welcome robertdouglas13

robertdouglas13 wrote:
... I feel like getting one though, it seems like it sounds very good. I got a Prophet 8 Rack by Dave Smith Instrument and I'm quite disappointed. The 12db filter doesn't do anything and the 24 one is not that good and the knobs are of very poor flimsy plastic. Do you think the Nord 3 is good for melodic non agressive psy trance?. I used to have the 2 but it sounded too harsh for me. Apparently the filters on the 3 are smoother?
For what? Very Happy
Have you heard this:
http://www.box.net/shared/370drmo9o3
I hope it is melodic non aggressive psy trance...
Read this topic:
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-226763.html#226763

Wout

Last edited by Wout Blommers on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:10 am; edited 2 times in total
robertdouglas13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Psy-joke ? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
thanks a lot for the welcome.
but is this a joke ? this piece of music is nothing at all like psy-trance! More like some weird amateurish children music to go to sleep to.
I mean Total Eclipse, Infinity Project , the first albums by Juno Reactor before they lost their talent,Etnica, Vibrasphere ,Sphongle , etc. It's music with a strong beat between 90 and 140 bpm! And lots of modulation and effects!
It cannot be made "in one take" but has to be carefully and artfully programmed for months on a mac. I mean working hard 10hours a day for a month or two on one 10 mn track.
Check them on Last Fm or something, especially Vibrasphere ,you'll hear for yourself the sonic difference with the track you gave me the link to.
As much difference as between Shakespeare and someone barely able to spell a couple of vowels.
Well thanks a lot anyway.
Bye.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

Nah, not a joke, but simple a total confusion of somebody of an older generation wondering why all these names about just music do exist...
I know, it's the 21th century in which people are believing that just by giving something another name makes it completely different, I mean, the name you gave doesn't tell anything about the 'product' itself. My example is melodic and it is non aggressive and brings you in a trance, which is indeed also an aspect of a lullaby, but, of course, there you have your point, psychotic was not present... Smile

So, forgive me I didn't understand you the way you want to be understood.

I hope you understand the NordLead3 is more useable for the music I directed you to then creating beats. It doesn't even have a Percussion mode like the NordLead2.

Wout
fac

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea what melodic non-agressive psy trance should sound like, but I'm sure the Nord Lead 3 will be great for it. It's one of the most flexible synths out there, and it can sound very melodic, non-agressive (e.g. not raw and harsh like a Nord Lead 2). I used to have a nord micromodular, which sounded more like the NL2, and now I have a Nord G2 and a NL3, and the sound of the latter two is much more refined and polite, and it is actually hard to make truly aggressive sounds with these synths (although you can, if you have to). The only thing missing in the NL3 that may be important for trance subgenres are the effects. I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to trance but it always seems to me they use lots of reverb and delays, so you may need an external fx unit.
robertdouglas13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Nice People here Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Wout Blommers,
thanks for the info on the Nord 3 not having drums like the 2, very useful.
As for what you say:
The older generation: I'm myself forty. Some of the band i mention have been going on since 1990, and raja Ram from Infinity Project and Sphongle, the pope of Psychadelic trance, is well in his sixties!
It's not a question of giving something old a new name. It IS NEW music, new music that has been going on for 20 years without too much mention in the press. Sometimes the best artists are not the most famous ones...
If you had the curiosity to check Sphongle for exemple, mostly ambient, I'm sure you would be astonished and delighted, if you like good music whatever it is.
I mentioned "non agressive" , because in the end of the nineties this genre split into 2, under the influence of german bands like X-Dream, (when someone has a good idea it is quickly copied). So anyway they gradually dropped the melodies and the analog synths to concentrate on horrible ear-tearing harsh digital noises and accelerated the tempo up to 150 BPM and 10 years later this beloved genre of mine has become an un-listenable psychotic torture to my OLD EARS.But young people still call it psychadelic whereas it could'nt be further from that. Anyway,no room to write anymore, Bye.
robertdouglas13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Fac,
thanks a lot for the infos. I'm afraid you've convinced me to get one . I know how the NG 2 sounds so if its smoother it's what I need. I thought the micromodular had the same engine as the NG2. I used to have the Nord 2 but yes it sounds really harsh and digital and I never been able to get a sound I liked with it. As well it is a synth that is so violent that it is hard to mix with other synths.
As for the effects yes tons of reverb and delays, but i do all that inside the sequencer and I have a TC Powercore in charge of the reverbs, really amazing reverbs, it makes a hell of a difference in a mix.
Thanks again,Bye.
fac

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, Robert, I did a youtube search for shpongle, and listened to a few tunes. Pretty good stuff, really. I'm more into stuff like Autechre and Boards of Canada (which is usually classified as "IDM", who knows why), but I do see myself listening to sphongle-like stuff.

And yes, I think the Nord Lead 3 should be adequate for those kinds of sounds. Though they also use tons of ethnic sounds, so maybe a module like the Emu Planet Earth, and a cool digital drum machine like the MachineDrum would complement the setup pretty well.

robertdouglas13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello Fac thanks for your advices on the Nord and for liking Sphongle. I personnally don't want to go that ethnical, I think they spoil it a bit with trumpets and all.But getting a second hand planet earth is a very good idea.. I didn't have too much time but i listened quickly to some of your stuff (2 videos and a track)and its seems pretty good, progressive and psychadelic with the sounds always evolving and twisted. You've got some solid groovy rythms going as well. And a very good production too, great bass sound. It's easy to hear that you've put lots of love and hours of work in your music. And we've got the same cat but mine has its colors the other way around.
About Sphongle there is a very good article on Sound on Sound website, under the name "Younger Brother" (same people).
About Autechre and all I understand what they are doing but I don't like it much, too weird and scary I would say. there was as well an article on them in Sound on Sound about a few years ago that you can find on SOS website where you would see the way they work with millions of midi controllers affected on tons of parameters at the same time. and they use weird midi like your midi sequencing program which seems a nightmare to me, worse than Logic environment. I'll stick to Logic.(=) About the machinedrum I don't understand, it seems very expensive for a 12bit drummachine.
Amiranu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject:  NL 3 is a psychedelic monster Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In case anyone happens across this thread with the same question after all these years, yes, the NL3 CAN do melodic psy sounds just fine

You can hear it doing leads, pads, plucks, basses, acid sounds, and squishy fx right here - it is plenty flexible enough to do Ovnimoon-style progressive, Infected Mushroom style Full On, or Ajja style Darkpsy

Whatever yer after

It's a little weird it isn't better known for psy, cause it's really solid for all the bread & butter sounds

https://youtu.be/gIBwaDsJr5U
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huh!?!
What!?!

Sorry, I dozed away, I think...

NordLead is still alive Very Happy

Wout
(sleepy moderator)

BTW Welcome and nice link!
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths