electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
new librarian - Knobkraft
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
markus.schloesser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: new librarian - Knobkraft Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FYI There is a new librarian in town for the Andromeda (among quite a handful of other synths) and it's called "Knobkraft".
It's open source and, while still quite fresh, has opened up the Andromeda for me a lot! I've successfully imported all the available internet patches (many from here, so thanks!), scanned thru them and categorized them (and found great ones).
It features a duplicate detection via fingerprinting, is cross-platform, touch-UI and you can also write your own adaptation should your synth not be supported.

Now because of a couple of quirks in the A6's sysex implementation, you currently cannot SEND an edit buffer FROM knobkraft TO the A6, but you can receive them, which is great when you manually do something on the A6 and just wanna store that for later.
Because the A6 has no receive edit buffer (it does, but it doesn't work), the workaround is to send new patches from knobkraft to the A6 to the User Bank, Program 127 (but for that you need to select that beforehand, see text from manual down below!) and then knobkraft does a program change to that program.

Be careful how your A6 is set up so to not overwrite something you don't want overwritten, it can receive programs/patches in multiple different places. From the A6 manual:
The SYSEX page of Store mode contains a useful feature under Soft Knob 3 labeled RCV TO (Receive To). This gives more flexibility in receiving SysEx Programs and Mixes:
- USER means that the incoming SysEx Program or Mix will go into the User Bank (at whatever Program or Mix number it was originally stored from).
This is the default setting.
- HERE means that the incoming SysEx Program or Mix will overwrite the Program or Mix currently shown in the display, regardless of its original bank or number.
- ORIGIN means that the incoming SysEx Program or Mix will be written to wherever it originally came from. If it came from a Card bank and a card is present, it will write to the Card. Writing directly to a Preset bank from a Sys Ex file is not allowed.
- CARD allows you to select a card bank where the Program or Mix should go

This is NOT my work, but by a great guy (Christof) I've been bothering the last couple of weeks with requests for additional adaptations, features etc. He is very hands on, fixes stuff quite immediately and is always open to suggestions. You can find the releases for OSX, Windows plus source code at his GitHub:

https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

I have attached a screenshot (btw I also use it on my touch screen laptop near the synths, because the UI is touch friendly 🙂 )

andromeda knobkraft Screenshot 2021-01-18 042822.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  600.62 KB
 Viewed:  348 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

andromeda knobkraft Screenshot 2021-01-18 042822.png

schaltstern

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Markus,

first of all, thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Then - I successfully got this to run, and Knobcraft works with my Matrix 1000.

Once I connect the A6, kk doesn't recognise it.
Starting up Logic and playing it from there is not a problem, so it's no connection issue.

Would you expect this to be a problem with the adaption or rather with kk?

What could I do to debug this?

Thanks again,
Dirk

(also from Cologne Smile )
markus.schloesser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="schaltstern"]Hi Markus,

first of all, thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Then - I successfully got this to run, and Knobcraft works with my Matrix 1000.

Once I connect the A6, kk doesn't recognise it.
Starting up Logic and playing it from there is not a problem, so it's no connection issue.

Would you expect this to be a problem with the adaption or rather with kk?

What could I do to debug this?

Thanks again,
Dirk

(also from Cologne Smile )[/quote]

ur welcome! Smile
re connection: did you just do the "auto configure" thing? If that does not work, you can also assign manually and then do a "quick check".

What midi interface do you use? Sysex is quite a bit more "demanding" then normal midi. Can you send sysex from Logic?
I suggest contacting kris thru his github (open a new "issue"), he is very responsive and helpful.

We should do a local self help group for andromeda enthusiasts Very Happy
Markus
schaltstern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I did all that.
The connection to the Matrix 1000 works flawlessy, the same setup with the A6 doesn't work at all, so I assumed it was the adaption rather.

I will experiment more and if that fails, I'll post this to the Knobcraft Github.

Thanks again,
Dirk
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: