electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Korg Oasys Not Booting
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
paugui

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 37

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Korg Oasys Not Booting
Subject description: UPDATE - It is alive, but still has some issues...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone here has experience repairing a Korg Oasys?

I just got one that isn't booting and I really want to get it working Smile

I guess the HD is likely the best point to start, but what other things shall I likely look at?

Thanks in advance! Very Happy

Last edited by paugui on Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
paugui

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After some months, I was finally able to bring it back to life! Very Happy

I had to remove one of the RAM sticks it had inside, and then I was able to get the unit re-authorized and only needed to install a newer OS for it to boot again!

I had great fun with it already and was able to confirm it's a fantastic synth, but unfortunately, it has some serious issues that must be dealt with to really enjoy it...

The most serious issue is that the pads are not behaving as they should...

Unfortunately the pads can't be bypassed with the OS, which means in the worst case you have an insane amount of random triggering that renders the unit unusable...

I kinda fixed it, with some calibration, but that meant pad 1 didn't respond, and the response from pad 8 was really bad...
Since the keyboard wasn't behaving badly anymore, I decided to give it another try and calibrate the pads again, but it seems it was a mistake...

So when I turn the Korg Oasys on, it produces sound right away, as I think one of the pads starts as being active...
That can be fixed by just changed the sound, and everything works fine for a while, but sooner or later, the pads seem to trigger again and become completely irresponsive...
When this happens, changing the sound doesn't work anymore, but if you write a sound in memory, it will stop the pads, unless the pads are retriggering all the time...
When that happens, the unit becomes pretty much unusable...

I am not sure what can cause this, but the issue seems to get more serious the longer the keyboard is on...

I know other people comment on the same issue, but weren't able to fix it yet, so I was wondering, anyone here has a clue on how to get this fixed?

The second problem I am having is that I seem to be unable to sample with it... :S
I know the inputs receive signal, as it displays ADC Overload and I can use the Vocoder patch, but nothing shows up in the meters...
I have played with the different sources, but haven't been able to get any signal detected when I am in Sampling mode...

Can this be an issue with the RAM installed?
I hope the RAM is ok, since just using this one made me able to bring the synth back to life, but I still wonder if that could be the reason...

I don't think I am doing anything wrong, but unfortunately there are no sampling tutorials to confirm... :S

Other than the unit still needs some maintenance, some buttons are harder and the last key on the right doesn't play, but I can live with that for now!

But having the pads issue sorted would be really important to be able to get the most out of it (and being able to sample with it would be fantastic as well).
airlock

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paul Santos has a lengthy thread on Facebook about this, and it doesn't seem to have been resolved. You may get some use out it by turning MIDI local control off and using an external keyboard or other controller.

Korg engineering on the Oasys and M3 was not at the level you would expect on "flagship" workstations, I don't know about anything newer as they soured me on the brand when the M3 touchscreen failed for the stupidest of reasons.

Good luck!
paugui

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Airlock wrote:
Paul Santos has a lengthy thread on Facebook about this, and it doesn't seem to have been resolved. You may get some use out it by turning MIDI local control off and using an external keyboard or other controller.

Korg engineering on the Oasys and M3 was not at the level you would expect on "flagship" workstations, I don't know about anything newer as they soured me on the brand when the M3 touchscreen failed for the stupidest of reasons.

Good luck!

I know, that's me! Razz

And yep, it's not sorted yet... Sad
I could find more people having the issue, and it actually seems to be a bit more complex than I initially thought...

So that it's all clear here, it seems there is an issue with the pads that generates weird data that can result in random triggering (I am experiencing that after a while that seems to be sorted, but the pads still don't work) and renders the MIDI Out useless (there is absolutely no MIDI Out data coming from it...).

I am hoping it might be just some poor connection inside, cause I had it working as it should, then it would stop working, but turning it on again would make it work as it should again... But lately, it start with lots of random triggering, and the best way to get rid of it is to go to SEQ mode and soon after that stops...

Not sure if there is a reason for that, cause I don't even have to have a song loaded and start playing it...

The sampling "issue" was just something stupid and it is fixed...

What I'm also experiencing right now is that the fan will need to be replaced...
Yesterday it shut down because it got too warm...
It is quite silent, so I really don't think the fan is working when it should (I think I only remember hearing it two times or so...).

So it will likely need more maintenance than I was hoping, but at least it wasn't too hard to bring it back to life! Very Happy
airlock

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, hi Paul! You (or someone) mentioned about the connectors- that is the issue with the M3, bad connectors (one side tin, the other gold) that promoted tin hairs, and that was only fixed by replacing the touchscreen. I wonder if Korg might have carried over that bit of poor engineering to the Oasys in other areas?
paugui

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the screen in mine was that well taken care of, cause it's even missing a screw in one of the sides, and it happened to fall down twice (I have since put some stuff behind the screen to make sure it doesn't fall again), but the image on it is a bit weird... It kinda looks CRT-ish...
But so far, the screen is working as it should!

The pads was the real problem, but now, right before my performance tonight, it decided to crash and I still didn't manage to get it to boot again... :S

First it wasn't remember its Public ID, now it does, I could easily authorise it, I could easily install the newer OS, but when it comes to boot it without a CD, it gets stuck before the progress bar gets past the O in OASYS... :S

I hope it might be some issue with the RAM, but not sure... :S
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: