electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Redrawn Buchla 158A VCO schematic
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i never really cared about math , i like to explore as to what tip and tricks are there about a circuit ,and usually that's enough ..i only wish i could buy my parts from farnell or mouser or banzai or so ..i like to think they are more careful with fakes
Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

useless? it tells type, pinout and readings of any Si or Ge transistor or FET, plus resistance and capacitance both static and dynamic (photocell for instance), plus inductance, etc, etc. I'd say it's far from useless.

For FETs being out of reach for the ATMEGA tester you have that ultrasimple diagram from first link (you can use ATMEGA tester first to find out the pinout and consult datasheet)

vladosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i dunno ,the one i got labels the P channel fet as PNP or NPN ,and the J112 like resistor so i don't really find it useful ,maybe that's useful for someone who understands more but it does not give me the pinout GDS ,can you show me what kind of tester you got ,or if you can suggest any ,it seems this that i got can read Mosfet but aparently not JFET
i got this one https://youtu.be/KS-JWDh0IbA

Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never used that newer tester model.

Mine is older, with the last firmware implemented, 1.13k
It's close to impossible to know the version in advance, they usually don't know it and wont look for it even if you explain how/whwre to look for it. So you have to risk. 1.12k is fine too

IMG_5638.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  856.9 KB
 Viewed:  76 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_5638.jpg

Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why don't you open a thread for this? It will be interesting/helpful for many of us

vladosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just realized i have some PN4391 so i try it ,and it gives me just resistance of 20 or so ohms ,nevermind ..whole thing i thought the testers worked with jfets but i also see someone testing mosfets on yt also recognized as npn ,guess i'll just give it a shot about the 158 i planned to make 2 of those but if that doesn't work ..and it'll prolly be 2023 by then ,who knows what ..
vladosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if anyone has more luck with JFETS ,here's my layout ,should be correct ,all npn pnp pairs used in the oscillator are matched BCM847/857

top.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.88 KB
 Viewed:  74 Time(s)

top.png

bottom.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.07 KB
 Viewed:  69 Time(s)

bottom.png

parts.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.82 KB
 Viewed:  64 Time(s)

parts.png

BUCHLA 158 CORRECT V2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  667.37 KB
 Viewed:  71 Time(s)

BUCHLA 158 CORRECT V2.JPG

Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vladosh wrote:
i just realized i have some PN4391 so i try it ,and it gives me just resistance of 20 or so ohms ,nevermind ..whole thing i thought the testers worked with jfets but i also see someone testing mosfets on yt also recognized as npn ,guess i'll just give it a shot about the 158 i planned to make 2 of those but if that doesn't work ..and it'll prolly be 2023 by then ,who knows what ..

Are you identifying/using correctly the tester's 1, 2, 3 holes in the adapter?
For instance, mine uses the one in the center-right for 2, like 11112333
New ones I think use 12223333
*** You need to use 1,2,3 for the tester to read any 3 leg device. I mean you are maybe using 2,2,3 or so and the tester can't read them.
Also for resistors and capacitors, if you want a dynamic reading, you must use 1 and 3, not 1-2 or 2-3

vladosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i use the ones labeled as 123 ,nevermind really ,this is no big deal , i've built many 258's without this ,so it's all up to how correct is schematic , other thing i found at muffs is by la67 a comment ..the 1.5K resistors tied to the fet can be up to 2.5K if the transistor itself is off in idss ,someone has tried this and it works fine and it makes sense looking at the schematic ,i also found the same shaper in electronotes vco ,i am still waiting for the pcb's ..if it works great ,if not ..will have to find some other vco to replace it ,maybe pure sine vco from electronotes coupled with buchla timbre that also has a Jfet haha
Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

read ebolatone's blog (link up the thread), he used trimmers initially on that position

Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vladosh wrote:

as I said, 4391 will confuse automatic testers for shure

Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just uploaded version 1.5 of my redrawn 158A schematic (just a few small graphic changes for more clarity)

BTW, it looks like a running dog! Very Happy

Fernando

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re. "grey" unknown function wire:
Maybe it can be used as external freq. input while having "F" hardwired as "internal" for the freq. pot?
It looks like it

Anyone tried this or have new info about "grey"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: