electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Sorry, no program tonight. Covid strikes again... Chez Mosc
 Forum index » Artists » Seraph
Seraph: Nick's Lounge+Jingle Bells
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
pellejones

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll look into the Motif. Thanks for the info Smile
The only problem is that if I like it, I can't afford it. I'll have to wait to december, atleast. Sad

And I'm Sorry seraph! I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More hijacking coming up..

If you have a sampler you could use that one.. in order to add soome stringish thickening? A nice tool is also the good old mellotron .. you can use the excellent G-Media M-Tron. If you double some voices with that one.. and possible also add some filtering and whatnot .. some reverb too.. you can seriously thicken the strings. However, the mellotron/novatron is a weird animal and it can be hard to see what this is about if you have never used the original hardware box. A mellotron is not an a sampler and it behaves a bit odd, It can be very useful. Keep in mind that a mellotron with some string instrument tapes really does not emulate anything but a mellotron with some string instrument tapes.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pellejones wrote:
I'll look into the Motif. Thanks for the info Smile
The only problem is that if I like it, I can't afford it. I'll have to wait to december, atleast.

Well there's beg, borrow, or rent--particularly if it's a paying gig. In any case I wouldn't shell out money until I'd spent a few hours on it seeing if I does suit your needs.

These nice people have oft forgiven me for stealing threads so I think your in the clear on that. Very Happy

bachus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
If you have a sampler you could use that one.. in order to add soome stringish thickening?.

To my ear the middle register strings need more than thickening though that would help a bit. They have a horny quality and need softening. The low strings seem thin yet I do not find them out of place, But ...

pellejones wrote:
and I'm having trouble making stuff sound good. I mainly use strings and pianos. But still.

This does not say what pellejones feels does not "sound good". So pelle, can you put into words what leaves you dissatisfied about demo4?

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pellejones wrote:
And I'm Sorry seraph! I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

oh well.....for an OT Master like myself it's an honor Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
pellejones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
oh well.....for an OT Master like myself it's an honor Shocked

Well then Smile I'll just go on.

bachus wrote:
This does not say what pellejones feels does not "sound good". So pelle, can you put into words what leaves you dissatisfied about demo4?

OK. I think that it is the strings i dislike in Demo 4. They sound, well, very very synthetic and that is not what I am going for. I really don't know what to do to them to make them sound richer and so on. I'm looking into other things than Reason at the moment. The Orchestral soundbank that came with it was nice, but not super.

Also, the producer/director of the movie said that he thought it was too much noise in the song. To be honest, I don't understand what he means. I don't find it to be any noise in the song. Sure there is bound to be some slight noise when you use sampled stuff, but nothing that you would react too. Am I wrong? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pellejones wrote:
the producer/director of the movie said that he thought it was too much noise in the song.
those guys are famous for saying things that don't make sense, but this should be a brand new thread......anyway, once a guy asked me to do a "guitar roll" Shocked what would you do in that case Question Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
pellejones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
More hijacking coming up..

If you have a sampler you could use that one.. in order to add soome stringish thickening? A nice tool is also the good old mellotron .. you can use the excellent G-Media M-Tron. If you double some voices with that one.. and possible also add some filtering and whatnot .. some reverb too.. you can seriously thicken the strings. However, the mellotron/novatron is a weird animal and it can be hard to see what this is about if you have never used the original hardware box. A mellotron is not an a sampler and it behaves a bit odd, It can be very useful. Keep in mind that a mellotron with some string instrument tapes really does not emulate anything but a mellotron with some string instrument tapes.
The Only sampler I have, are the ones in Reason, I've upgraded my 2.0 copy to 2.5 now so it's nice!
pellejones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
pellejones wrote:
the producer/director of the movie said that he thought it was too much noise in the song.
those guys are famous for saying things that don't make sense, but this should be a brand new thread......anyway, once a guy asked me to do a "guitar roll" Shocked what would you do in that case Question Rolling Eyes
Aahahaha! A Guitar roll! I would probably just.... well.... I have noooo idea Smile
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noise? Nope.. no noise.. but you never know about dudes like that. He might have mistaken some of the actual music for noise. Shocked

Guitar roll? Not a spring roll?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pellejones wrote:
Also, the producer/director of the movie said that he thought it was too much noise in the song. To be honest, I don't understand what he means. I don't find it to be any noise in the song. Sure there is bound to be some slight noise when you use sampled stuff, but nothing that you would react too. Am I wrong? Confused

I too hear no noise at all. Assuming he got the same or better audio data file I think he must be refereing to the breathing sound that starts at the very beginning. I think you use that very effectively, very musically, but to his ear it may not have the feel he's looking for.

Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
pellejones wrote:

I would excuse him if he meant that you should perpetrate a "rasgueado," which is basically a "drum roll" on the guitar strings, you know those dramatic flourishes you get in flamenco music. Otherwise, as a guitarist I'd have to say "What a tosser!"

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hear a windlike sound in Demo4 that the producer may be speaking of. I used to do commercial music years. You have to be very careful when you listen to producers. If they something like "too much noise", you must make sure you take the time to understand what exactly they mean. Ask them questions to clairify, play back the music and ask them to indicate exactly what sound they hear that is objectionable.

One thing to realize about producers and directors - sometimes they feel compelled to say something - to always have an opinion or suggestion. Much of the time they don't remember what they said 10 minutes later. This isn't always the case, but it is quite often that way.

If you are going to be in the commercial sound and music business, you have to master dealing with people in this capacity. Just remember that most people feel as insecure about themselves as you do, probably moreso. Many times producers just want to be acknowledged and respected. Something like, "Thanks for the excellent feedback, I respect your opinion. I'll certainly keep that in mind as I continue my work. Do you think I should redo this piece?", often does the trick. Usually you'll hear, "Oh, no, no need to redo it, it'll work out."

Like I said, I did this kind of work for about 8 years, then got into engineering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Seraph
Jump to: