electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music » Field recordings
An English Beach - 2
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
glow worm

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: An English Beach - 2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Saunton Sands is located between Braunton and Croyde in North Devon and is best known as the beach in the battle scene, at the beginning of the Pink Floyd - The Wall movie.

This is a sand beach, with a tall cliff about 400m to the right of the recorder. What you get here, is 10+ minutes of unadulterated, natural white noise - few, if any individual waves, are discernable.

Despite the use of a dead cat, there is a little wind noise throughout, but it's not excessive (it's an English beach - OK?).

There is a single edit. If you can find it, then you are either very good, or you need to get out more Wink Otherwise, this recording is unedited and unprocessed.

The tide is receding, with high tide having passed an hour or so before.

M/S stereo, with mics set to 150 degrees.

140929_saunton_sands_sea_sounds_edit_001_VBR.mp3
 Description:
glow worm - saunton sands sea sounds, september 2014

Download
 Filename:  140929_saunton_sands_sea_sounds_edit_001_VBR.mp3
 Filesize:  15.57 MB
 Downloaded:  854 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very relaxing. Is this the MS recording, or did you convert it to stereo?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
glow worm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

M/S recording, edited in Audacity, exported as a VBR mp3 - if that helps.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe this isn't the best forum topic to discuss this. The Woodland birds recording have much more "stereo action".

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-64160.html

I always thought that if you make a recording in the M/S format, the you have to process it into the conventional XY format for listening on a stereo system. This process is very simple: (Left = M + S) , (Right = M - S).

My question is, did you perform this transform for the recordings you posted, or are they still in M/S format?

I performed the MS/XY transform on this recording of the beach and the result was a mild improvement, IMHO. I did the same on the woodland birds and there was a significant improvement, again IMHO.

The H2N is a great development because it makes M/S recording practical in a small portable format. I didn't notice it came on the market until reading your posts. I'm excited.

Using the AmbiophonicDSP processor, the birds come out just over my left and right shoulders. Amazing. Also the dynamic range is superb.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
glow worm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah - OK.

From the manual...

Mid-side (MS) stereo mode
This mode uses a mid mic to capture the sound directly ahead and a bidirectional side mic to capture sound from left and right. The recording level of the side mic (S level) can be adjusted, allowing the stereo width to be changed. If you record with the S level set to MS-RAW, you can also adjust the S level after recording.
MS mics can capture a rich stereo image, so it is ideal for recording sounds in wide and open conditions, including orchestras, live concerts and soundscapes.

XY stereo mode

This mode records in stereo with mics at 90ยบ angles. This allows a natural, deep and accurate sound image to be captured, making it optimal for recording sources nearby, including solo performances, chamber music, interviews, live rehearsals and field recordings.

2ch and 4ch surround modes

Sound can be captured in all directions using both MS and XY mics. You can select 2ch, which mixes the signals from the MS and XY mics, or 4ch, which records the signals from the MS and XY mics separately. With 4ch surround, you can adjust the balance between the MS and XY signals after recording. The S level can be adjusted for both 2ch and 4ch recordings.
These modes are suitable for recording live rehearsals, studio sessions, usiness meetings and soundscapes, for example.

From that (and IIRC), my understanding is that the recorder processes the M/S on board, unless MS-RAW is used - in which case you can controll the width via a downloadable plug-in.

Hope that helps.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That indeed helps. All that for so little money. Doesn't explain why using MS processing on my end helps, but life is full of mysteries. Confused
glow worm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting indeed. In what way(s) did you feel that your processing improved the sound?

e2a: OK - I read your post properly now (it was late - again).

I have a copy of your AmbiophonicDSP processor and will try it out - I've not thought of using it on field recordings before. What settings did you use?

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suggest using the Pop preset. I use it for everything.
glow worm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow - that really does make a difference!
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music » Field recordings
Jump to: