electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Eagle PCB editor- how the hell does one get it to run??!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Eagle PCB editor- how the hell does one get it to run??!? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excuse my Unix programming ignorance, but can anyone who is on Linux or Mac OSX and uses Eagle 4.1 schematics editor, tell me how the hell to get it installed on my computer?

I've downloaded Eagle 4.1 and installed the Apple X11 server, opened a terminal but then the (extremely) dry installation instructions have completely phased me. It may look simple to the developers (perhaps it is?), but I can't make head or tail of it.

Mosc, you're good with programming. Can you shed a bit of light on this?

Tom
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sympathize with you

Unfortunately, I have never used the Eagle software, and I don't run Unix as a desktop, except for OSX which is a cousin of Unix apparently, so I can't be of much help.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers Mosc for getting back- no worries :)

I've mailed Cadsoft in the USA to see if they can give me a solution. If also hinted that they may consider making it a proper Mac application?- ie one you just click on and no more of this unix gobbledigook!

If I get an answer, I'll post the results here. But if there is anyone out there who knows, please don't be afraid to post still ;)

Tom
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have a link for the app? I would like to look into what that Eagle thingie is.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-7074.html is a topic where this came up. Here is a link to the Eagle program: http://www.cadsoft.de/info.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
THX!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use Eagle on windows regularly, and have "tried" it on Linux. Never on a MAC.

If you're on MAC, download the TGZ file (I don't think MAC has support for RPMs)., and untar/unzip it (TGZ is a tar'd & gnuzipped file). If you have tar on the mac, you'll need to run "tar xzvf eagle-lin-eng-4.15.tgz" for example. Otherwise, MACs might have another tools to unzip & untar.

Once that's uncompressed, go into the eagle_4.15 (or similar) directory, and look for an executable file. My experience is just running this file is fine, it doesn't need much in terms of environment variables, etc.

Hopefully that wasn't redundant info for you. Eagle might expect some level of tools/libraries (system and/or X-windows server) available via a PATH variable. But I would've assumed those programs added themselves to the PATH if needed. This might be a place to look if you try running the program and it doesn't launch properly.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers JK.

Your good suggestions helped get it working :)

After starting up X11, I unstuffed the file and placed it in the applications folder. Then I opened the file within the eagle file named 'bin' and double-clicked on 'eagle' right at the top of the files. There are 2 files called eagle- don't click the one with the eagle logo! (there will be a prompt anyway)

quite simple actually. Now for the steep learning code! :)
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check the tutorials on the CadSoft website (under Documents). They are actually very helpful.

There's also a book, called "Building your own Printed Circuit Board" by Al Williams, which includes everything from schematics, to libraries, to layout, and finally protoyping & manufacture. But, it uses EaglePCB throughout, so you not only learn all about the process, you learn on a freely available tool. Good book for this stuff. Prototyping even goes through the available processes of etching your own boards at home, or going through a board house to get it made for you, and what files you need to send them.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JK,

Although the library is stuffed with stuff, I can't seem to find that dreaded LM13700N. Also there is an LF442 in there, but no LF444. Is there someplace I can get these or is it easier to build my own?

The software I am finding quite intuative- but the way it works is very un-Mac. In fact it looks just like a PC on the screen! Very wierd!

Tom
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you have the datasheet for the part, it's actually pretty easy to create your own library part. There's two steps: 1) Creating your own part "schematic", which is what will show up in your design's schematic. Then 2) You create a pinout/layout of the device (I might be using the wrong words to describe this). Both of these are done in the library editor, and then you link the two together (so signal VCC int he schematic gets tied to pin 14 of the device, etc). Note that a given part schematic may have multiple layouts, meaning the same part might come in different packages. (SOIC, DIP, etc)

If you create your own part, make a schematic for it in the library editor, then copy over the layout/pinout from another device that uses the same package. Just make sure you grab the right one, because as I said, devices can have multiple packages.

I tend to drop the device in a layout, and print it out. Then take your real-life device, and place it on your printout. This way you can make sure you have the right sizing, etc. You should do this before doing any iron-on transfers when you get to making your prototype as well.
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, the CadSoft website as a shit-ton of libraries. You'll probably find a bunch on google as well. But if you have to make a library yourself, don't be intimidated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: