electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Soundscapes #3, 2-22-03
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Soundscapes #3, 2-22-03 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soundscapes #3 at the Ice House in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, on 2-22-03, was another brilliant success. The featured artist was Orbital Decay, a two person electronic music ensemble that plays exquisite evolving sound structures that can best be described as, well, "Soundscapes." Orbital Decay would have been enough, but there was more!

Tom Shaw, an ambient music artist, peformed for about one hour before the concert. His music is certainly not mearly background music to be ignored. Tom Plays the guitar, keyboard and assorted electronic gizmos. He was playing last night with a percussionist whose name I unfortunately didn't get. [Editor's Note: That was Moe Altamuro.] Tom sets up very relaxing ambient textures which are very beautiful. Many people stopped to listen carefully. I hope he performs again at future Soundscapes.

Orbital Decay, Terry Furber on synthesizers and Scott Watkins on electric guitar, has been performing since 1979. Influenced by such bands as Tangerine Dream, Klaus Shulze, and Pink Floyd they have developed their own style of "space music." They performed two wonderful sets. Each set was a contiunous uninterrupted wash of harmonious sounds. Sometimes the music became quite rhythmic. People were tapping their feet and nodding their heads with the beat. I was very pleased that the beats weren't the often-heard drum sounds that less imaginative electronic groups seems to find unavoidable. OD's beats are very pleasant snappy electronic sounds. They appear to be mostly modulated resonant filters, possibly made with Terry's vintage Moog gear.

When Orbital Decay drifted into sections where there was "no beat" we heard deliberate harmonic structures which create very long phrases. These phrases last minutes, not a few seconds as they do in most music. There was more going on than first met the ear. Sometimes there were startling glides, or glissandos, that seemed to bend the sound field. These always resolved in a satisfying way.

Each set lasted about one hour. Afterwards I felt like I had been on a very well guided sonic journey which left me relaxed and refreshed. My wife, Juli, commented that this music reminded her of Indian Ragas. This is right on.

Terry and Scott are mature artists exploring new musical forms with every performance. I look forward to hearing them again.

As has become a fabulous tradition at Soundscapes, Chef Jeff provided a delicous buffet dinner at no charge. He does this because he loves electronic music. It's his way of supporting it. Chef Jeff is a classic patron of the arts.

We should all thank Bill Fox and all the volunteers for their efforts at producing the Soundscapes concerts. For those of us lucky enough to be in Eastern Pennsylvania we are in their debt because Soundscapes greatly contributes to the quality of the artistic life in our community.

As usual, I shot a few photos. I've posted them here. Check out Orbital Decay's web site for more information. In a few days you'll be able to purchase their disks on-line at the electro-music.com on-line store. [Editors note: they are at the store now!]

Last edited by mosc on Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:15 pm; edited 10 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, Howard, for posting such an in depth review of Soundscapes #3. It was an immensly satisfying evening for me as concert promoter. Everyone seemed to thoroughly enjoy Orbital Decay, Tom Shaw and Moe Altamuro, and the catering by Chef Jeff (Cosmic Catering). Let's do it again some time... Wink
--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great show, as usual!
I look forward to the next event with Vidna Obmana (already got my ticket!)
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill - both my wife and I completly enjoyed ourselves at the last Soundscapes concert! It is such a joy to be able to hear the kind of music we love in a location that is great for that kind of music and not too far from home. I predict that as time goes on this concert series is going to do exceptionally well. We are really looking forward to VidnaObmana's performance in April - we bought our two tickets! And even though chef Jeff got off to a late start - it still came out "stellar"

I'll keep trying to get the board for you - depends on if we have it in or not.

DES
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Jump to: