electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Experiences with W7?
Page 1 of 3 [51 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Experiences with W7?
Subject description: Demo won't run
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everybody,

my Vista needed a fresh install so I try Windows 7. Almost all apps work, except 2, which both have to do with sound - one of them is the Demo 1.40 Sad
I get the "not enough memory" pop-up, which can't be the case. The other program (SonicStage Mastering Studio) asked if an engine (apparently an old sound engine) was correctly installed.
So, I guess no help here. What do you think?

Best
Sebastian

buzzr

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems obvious to try 1.6 doesn't it?
sebber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The demo didn't get updated.
buzzr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

opps...you are right. I think the demo will not be updated. The G2 is discontinued...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are there compatibility modes maybe that work?
sebber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, none. Sad
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
Nope, none. Sad

Go back to Vista or XP. Stick with something that works.

sebber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is Vista really something that works? I switched to W7 because I hope for a renewed XP. XP, although I really liked it, is now an old system and my laptop won't have all the functions.

And before people tell me to switch platforms, be it OS/2, OSX, CP/M Plus or Knoppix: just leave it. If you know a trick how I can make the Demo run under W7, I'm very grateful. Otherwise don't tell me what to do, please.

If I'm very lucky the thing will run in the final version. If not, I'll have to think long and hard for a replacement.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
If I'm very lucky the thing will run in the final version. If not, I'll have to think long and hard for a replacement.

Would be a bummer ... I now realize I asked two questions before and am not sure which one you answered ... anyway, when it does not have a compatibility mode at all at the moment I'd expect it to come back ... when it is present but it does not work ... hmm ... I don't even want to think about that Shocked

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windows 7 has compatibility mode!

Right-click on the Exe or shortcut, click properties, click compatibility tab.

Also don't get your hopes up, Windows 7 is basically Vista with some bits turned off and some new hacks and a different name.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is also XPM for Windows 7 which is a VM type thingy http://windows7center.com/windows-7-feature/windows-7-windows-xp-mode-faq/

I'm not sure if you need a XP disk and key to use this.
sebber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That might work. But I can't use the Demo as tool for e.g. http://modular.sebastianberweck.de/ anymore. People won't install another OS, be it real or virtual.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try setting the compatibility on the shortcut or exe first, look at http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-solve-compatibility-problems-in-windows-7/
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
People won't install another OS, be it real or virtual.

Not true. Vitualization is a hot issue these days. Many people are running multiple OS"s concurrently. Many companies are using virtualization to cut equipment costs.

I've opted to run Linux in a VM just so I dont have to setup my laptop for dual boot, I know Mac users running Windows in a VM for similar reasons.

If I download something I suspect may be buggy or infected, I launch it in an XP vm first. If t crashes, who cares. I can just re-start the VM, or even the previous snapshot of it.

sebber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, sorry, I wasn't clear. W7 has a very convenient compatibility mode, I think they made a good job there.

Since the program opens but then claims to have not enough memory I don't know if it has to do with the sound enginge at all. But we'll see, Realtek just has new drivers for W7, I'm downloading them right now.

Right now about 90% of all programs work fine and right away. 5% need compatibility or another tweak.

My estimate of virtual machines on computers in private households is below 1%. I know so many people who don't even install programs... so, virtualization is a wonderful and fascinating thing. But if you teach classical musicians who just hate everything that looks like a computer and feel insecure when they have to plug it in, forget it.

sebber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The editor v1.62 works, btw.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, just read your post again I misunderstood Embarassed
sebber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When googling "not enough memory to perform requested action" only two results, both concerning the Demo, come up. Clavia came up with a unique error message! Not bad Very Happy
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
When googling "not enough memory to perform requested action" only two results, both concerning the Demo, come up. Clavia came up with a unique error message! Not bad :D

Thats not as odd as it seems, windows has a memory manager that is then being used by the runtime envirment of the programming language the app is written in (usually a spmewhat largish chunk of memory is requested from windows which is then sub-allocated for the application). When a memory request fails it's good practice to handle that situation from the application itself, usually by displaying a text to the user, but it would be possible to clean up stuff and retry.

Still it would be odd when there really would be a lack of memory, more likely a bug is involved.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have seen similar error messages in apps when they can't create files on the disk.

Does the editor create any temp files?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only thing I can find is : C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Clavia\Modular G2 Demo.pref but the editor should have such a file too. And there is some stuff in the registry too, but that could be install time only.

The contents of my pref file are :

Code:
Version 15
[Options]
3 1000 0 1 1 0
[/Options]
[Window Positions]
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
971 131 1663 215 1 0 1
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
[/Window Positions]
[Browser]
0 0 0 0 0
[/Browser]
[Stand Alone]
(DirectSound) Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio (With EC))
Disabled
96000 0
[/Stand Alone]
[Recent Files]
C:\Users\jan\AppData\Local\Temp\brusselsseq_dz_152.pch2
C:\Users\jan\AppData\Local\Temp\chopperv1_748.pch2
C:\Users\jan\AppData\Local\Temp\acidizer_2_119.pch2
C:\Users\jan\AppData\Local\Temp\saw_blade_cafe_101.pch2
C:\Users\jan\AppData\Local\Temp\chatterbox_204.pch2
[/Recent Files]

Oli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
I have seen similar error messages in apps when they can't create files on the disk.

Does the editor create any temp files?

Perhaps a permissions issue? I don't use Win7 or Vista, but I believe they have stricter permission control than XP. If the program is not operating with sufficient privileges, then perhaps it fails to perform a write operation?

Just guessing though. I have seen some strange error messages in Linux due to this. The messages don't necessarily reflect the cause.

sebber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Installing Audio-Drivers didn't bring the expected results. I'm pretty sure the error appears when the Demo tries to reach the Audiosystem. It happens at start-up and when trying to reach the Audio/MIDI-Settings. Everything else works fine - except for no sound.
Chrono

Audio files: 37
G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
That might work. But I can't use the Demo as tool for e.g. http://modular.sebastianberweck.de/ anymore. People won't install another OS, be it real or virtual.

Thanks some highlights in the robhordijk examples have been an extra upgrade for me Smile im blowing away the Virus TI Snow at ease with my new 46 unison voices patch.
sebber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Solved!

It's been the audiodrivers of a software called Audials that blocked something. I installed but never used Audials, because something is so obviously immoral about this program, let it go to hell.

Page 1 of 3 [51 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: