electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Fun way to do microtuning Updated to (v2.0)
Page 3 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... 4 downloads so far on the new tool.

Well, I guess another way to test the tool would be to load up a microtuned patch on the G2, tuned to a specific tuning, send a MIDI sequence to the G2 from an external player (probably get one of those Bach MIDI files), record the output, then post recordings to one of the tuning groups for comments. I'll say "Here is the Bach piece in default 12-tET. Here are versions of the piece retuned by the G2 - version in Meantone, version in 13-tone Nonoctave Emmlineal Just Intonation, etc."

I'm really looking forward to microtonal explorations on the G2, but don't have enough microtuning experience to tell if a G2-retuned piece sounds like it is in the designated tuning.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Gov

The tuning resolution at this point is 0.7874 cents, or 1 semitone / 128. The program could adaptively increase the resolution depending on the requirements of the scale. For example, all the 12 tone scales seem to only require 1 bit for the coarse frequency so these could get 0.01220 cent accuracy if required.
The scales with fewer or more than 12 notes per octave are very strange, there must be an lot of expertise involved in getting these to sound good in a composition.
I tried a few of the Wendy Carlos scales, but they seem no more or less interesting than the rest. {:¬(

Maybe scalaG2.py should have it's own thread. I need to check with qfingers on the procedure for officially submitting new g2ools.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Maybe scalaG2.py should have it's own thread.

Seems like a good idea to me. Do you want me to split this thread somewhere near the scala/py/g200ls start or do you want to start a fresh one ?

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Started a new thread here

The G2ools thread is actually called NM2G2 converter so it didn't seem like the right place.
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep...thats because they moved the whole gools thread with the converted lib instead just having the lib in a seperated forum
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Thanks Gov

The tuning resolution at this point is 0.7874 cents, or 1 semitone / 128. The program could adaptively increase the resolution depending on the requirements of the scale. For example, all the 12 tone scales seem to only require 1 bit for the coarse frequency so these could get 0.01220 cent accuracy if required.
The scales with fewer or more than 12 notes per octave are very strange, there must be an lot of expertise involved in getting these to sound good in a composition.
I tried a few of the Wendy Carlos scales, but they seem no more or less interesting than the rest. {:¬(

Maybe scalaG2.py should have it's own thread. I need to check with qfingers on the procedure for officially submitting new g2ools.

Amazing! Most hardware synths do 1 cent tuning resolution at best. The G2 is superior to the others, thanks to your work and others who contributed.

Yes, quite a few of these tunings were designed for specific compositions. Some exist because of the traditions that they came from - the Indonesian scales are particularly known for having less than 12 notes/octave and having a very distinct character, because they were designed to maximize the inharmonic beating of metallophones and their other metallic instruments.

Its funny how many of the new tunings are still described by microtonalists in terms of 3rds and 5ths, because everyone is familiar with the sounds of those intervals in 12-tone equal temperament. Some though are trying to get away from that by describing intervals in terms of ratios or approximate ratios (if the tuning is not in just intonation).

As for me, my interest is relatively simple - incorporate the quartertones I was exposed to in my brief Persian music study. Some people use 24-tone equal temperament to get those quarter-tones, but 24-tET is just 12-tET with equally tuned quartertones. I'm also interested in music where chords actually sound different in different keys, which is not possible in 12t-ET, because it was designed to make chords sound the same in all keys. So, 24-tET is not that interesting to me. That Meantone patch you generated is a great place to start, as far as hearing how chords sound in different keys. I've certainly started to get a feel as to what the music theorists of the past were talking about when they wrote about unique flavors of each of the keys.

Will post more on the newer thread...
Page 3 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: