electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Online Music
My first Synth!!!
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: My first Synth!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sooo psyched!!! I finally bought a synth!! It's a used Roland RS 50 for a great price!!!

Now I'm going to upload one of my first little soundbites. I am just learning Cubase and last week I did this little track with some guitars and a pennywhistle. It was kind of rough & the whistle was out of tune. Today I enhanced it with one of the flute voices on the keyboard. When I played back the original pennywhistle track I found it was doing counterpoint with the synthesized whistle. Pretty neat!! I decided to keep it.

the whole thing is kind of primitive and ragged but I sort of like the basic idea. Hey, I'm a beginner at cubase AND synthesizers. However, I'm a pro at recording crickets & nature sounds.

crickets&2whistles.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  crickets&2whistles.mp3
 Filesize:  1.15 MB
 Downloaded:  2785 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats !

Nice track, it makes me think of Ireland for some reason (maybe because it's about time for me for a summer holiday Shocked )

I heard your nature recordings a while ago and I thought those to be pretty good indeed.

Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i usually hate this kind of stuff, one of those completely irrational hatreds that occur for no reason...

i'm up for hearing more of this though. i often think that the type of people who should be using synthesizers are usually the last people who reach for one, so i'm glad you've made the decision. Smile

here's to more posts!

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Congrats !

Nice track, it makes me think of Ireland for some reason (maybe because it's about time for me for a summer holiday Shocked )

I heard your nature recordings a while ago and I thought those to be pretty good indeed.

It's summertime for YOU? You must be down in the southern hemisphere 'cause it's coming on winter here in the US.

Yeah, I'm very influenced by Celtic and Middle Eastern music. Guess I belong on the 'World" music forum Confused

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
i usually hate this kind of stuff, one of those completely irrational hatreds that occur for no reason...

i'm up for hearing more of this though. i often think that the type of people who should be using synthesizers are usually the last people who reach for one, so i'm glad you've made the decision. Smile

here's to more posts!

Hmm. I dunno if you're dissing me or not. Laughing
If you mean you usually hate that relaxing new-age type music... yeah, I don't usually like it either, it's a little too syrupy.

But hey... that's what happened to come out at this recording session, what are ya gonna do.

My aim is to make music that is spacy & cosmic without being syrupy & sleepy. I suppose a little faster tempo & more rocking beat would help. When I find those drums on the synth I'll give it a try. (it's gonna take me a few months to even find all the functions on this thingy, and this is the CHEAP synth.)

Who are the people who "should use a synth but don't"? You mean hippies or something?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
It's summertime for YOU?

Nah, I'm just a bit late Very Happy

kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like you are off to a good start with your synth and recording software.

welcome

Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i wasn't dissing you! just as you say, new age syrupy stuff, but this was nice Wink
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats! you are off to a good start. Good blend of sounds, IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sonic Soul Searcher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Razz I love it.
Has a real innocent beauty to it and even though the whistle sounds slightly out, it just works for some reason. Nicely different mix of sounds and the crickets are fab. Really quite original music.

Keep it up and it'd maybe be nice to hear some longer pieces in the future.
Garden Cool

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Garden of Surreal Dreams wrote:
Razz I love it.
Has a real innocent beauty to it and even though the whistle sounds slightly out, it just works for some reason. Nicely different mix of sounds and the crickets are fab. Really quite original music.

Keep it up and it'd maybe be nice to hear some longer pieces in the future.
Garden Cool

Hi. Well thanks for saying a few encouraging words. I recorded that several months ago. I'm STILL in the process of learning how to coordinate my tracks so they sound good together. It is WAY more difficult than it seems like it should be.

Mostly I'm concentrating on learning basic keyboard, as in chords, scales etc. I figure even if I want to record 'ambient', it will still be a lot better if I can actually play.

although, I also did my first MIDI track last week and was astonished at how easy it was to fix all the mistakes. Kind of like painting with music instead of playing.

I'll try to record another track one of these weekends.

Sonic Soul Searcher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi again Laura,
Yes, some things are easy, some things are hard. Sometimes things can be too easy and it's the hard things that give the best reward. Sometimes it's the other way round. Everything has it's place.

Good idea to learn some basics, but the main thing is to feel free, enjoy yourself and experiment – you'll just know when something sounds right, as it's all down to feeling.

By the way, is 'Woodswalker' your real surname? Wonderful name if so!.
Garden Very Happy

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Garden of Surreal Dreams wrote:

Good idea to learn some basics, but the main thing is to feel free, enjoy yourself and experiment – you'll just know when something sounds right, as it's all down to feeling.

By the way, is 'Woodswalker' your real surname? Wonderful name if so!.
Garden Very Happy

Actually it's a debatable question which is more important in creative things like music... freedom & enjoyment, or learning & discipline. I think you kind of need both. Certainly I have been trying to create spontaneous compositions in Cubase, without bothering about up a framework of 'verses, chord changes, bridge, chorus". And maybe that's why I kind of get lost, and don't know what to do next!

I've been doing 'scratch tracks' of guitars & such...then I try to add a rhythm to it and it's a complete loss. So I try to set up a nice precise rhythm with a metronome... and I find everything I play to it sounds rigid & mechanical.

And also there are lots of mistakes in it.
So when I listen to it, it lessens my enjoyment when i realize 'that sounded like crap!"

Kind of like I'm past the absolute beginner excitement of "Hey!! I recorded/created SOMEthing!" Now I want more than just any old thing... I want to sound like the pro's! Wink

I guess I'll just have to be patient.

"Woodswalker" isn't my Legal name...it's more like a spirit name because walking in the woods is my spiritual path Laughing .

Oh by the way... anybody know how to use a metronome without the sound of the metronome being heard in the recording?

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use earphones / headphones or a mini amp fo the metronome only.
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: