electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
What is Electroacoustic Music?
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It occurs to me that I have no idea anymore of what Electroacoustic Music is. E.g. the Wikipedia article (a bad wiki article IMO) and its discussion is very confusing, basically asserting that anything can be Electroacoustic Music, which would render the term meaningless.

Can anyone point me to THE authorative defintion of it?

DJ
--
Perejil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the academic world, electroacoustic is used to refer to what might otherwise be termed 'contemporary classical' whereas electronic music or electronica usually refers to electronic styles of popular music.

But I suppose it could also be used to refer simply to a combination of acoustic and electronic instruments (which is what I meant in my previous post, regarding the electronic oscillations acoustically altered by specially designed loudspeakers).[/i]

DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Perejil.

I have now spent some time trying to clarify this. Unfortunately, the more I research it, the greater the confusion. I can't find a clear consensus; some claim that it's in the style, often refering to 'classical'. Others claim that's in the technique, often refering to either 'acoustic sources' and/or 'electronic treatment'. Yet other claim that it's simply another term for electronic music. And there are all sort of claims that are extrapolations and interpolations of these. One that is in tune with my previous, uneducated, intuitive definition, found here, says "Genre of composition that uses acoustic sound sources augmented or transformed with electronic technology."

Right, I'm not going to change this thread into a discussion of the definition. Perhaps I should make another thread for that, or split this one at my first posting. For now I have to consider myself incompetent to name any Electroacoustical Music Pioneers Laughing

DJ
--
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK - I split this off from the topic "Your favorite Electronic - Electroacoustic Music Pioneers?".

DJ
--
x_x

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I understand electro-acoustic comes from pieces that involve both sounds produced by acoustic instruments and electronic instruments.

Ex.
Gargoyles for Violin and Electronics by Luening is electro-acoustic.

but I'm no musicologist. Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it isnĀ“t really that hard to make sense of this. Basically the concept of electroacoustic music comes out of the pre-moog world and the age when composers needed the help from assistants impeccably dressed in white lab coats to make sense of the goodies offered by the electroacoustic music studios.
That being said, it is completely valid to define electroacoustic music as a hybrid consisting of acoustic sound sources being treated and processed by electronic means. It was a fair disagreement way back wether the BBC Radiophonic Workshop had any credibility at all because some sounds on some "tunes" had been produced by electronic oscillators. Shocked

I guess the term is best understood within the context of 50s and early 60s experimental music. Thus it is just as much a cultural phenomenon as it is a consistently definable type of music.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Perejil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It just occured to me that it could also apply to electronic music made out of recorded sound clips, ie recordings of acoustic sound stuck together (essentially what a DJ does, but also some types of contemporary classical) as opposed to electronically generated music like synths and so on. I think this is implied in some of our other definitions but I felt it needed clarification.
x_x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perejil wrote:
It just occured to me that it could also apply to electronic music made out of recorded sound clips, ie recordings of acoustic sound stuck together (essentially what a DJ does, but also some types of contemporary classical) as opposed to electronically generated music like synths and so on. I think this is implied in some of our other definitions but I felt it needed clarification.

Musique Concrete?
dewdrop_world

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally I think the term doesn't have much intrinsic meaning. By common use, it most likely refers to "composer music" (tending toward academia) using electronic sound sources and optionally non-electronic ones. But I don't think this is because "electroacoustic" as a term really means anything... more that nobody wants to call their music "electroacoustic" except academic composers Twisted Evil

James

zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
It occurs to me that I have no idea anymore of what Electroacoustic Music is. E.g. the Wikipedia article (a bad wiki article IMO) and its discussion is very confusing, basically asserting that anything can be Electroacoustic Music, which would render the term meaningless.

Can anyone point me to THE authorative defintion of it?

DJ
--

You're not going to find an authoritative definition of it in the same way you aren't going to find an absolute definition of what music is (or isn't).

You will find a general consensus of what the term electronic-acoustical music or electro-acoustical music means. It's even beginning to happen in this thread.

Generally speaking, electro-acoustical music is the utilization of electricity with instruments involved in making music.

A folk singer and a classical guitarist performing a song together would be acoustical music. Giving the classical guitarist an electric guitar and performing the same song would make it electro-acoustical music. Give the guitarist his acoustic back, but making them perform it yet again with the singer using a microphone and a PA would also make it electro-acoustical music.

The vast majority of music in the twentieth century was electro-acoustical music. Originally, the term was invented / applied to suit the utilization of oscillators, tape recorders, or electric amplification in musical performance. The term is often associated with the pioneers of doing such (e.g. the avant garde and academics), but when Les Paul was first using magnetic pick-ups on a 2x4 piece of wood to make one of his first electric guitars, he was technically making electro-acoustical music as well. It just so happened that what he was playing also was country and blues.

I think the reasoning behind using a name like 'electro-music' for the name of this forum was a throwback to the term 'electro-acoustical music.' The real idea behind referencing the term is that this site is about using electronic instruments to make music. Beyond that, I don't think anybody here really cares _what_ kind of music you are making, nor the specific tools, just that they are electronic. We all use a lot of different electronic instruments and all listen to a lot of different musics - this diversity is one of the things that makes the site great as opposed to making a "Trance only" web site or one that only cares about music that uses the 808 drum machine, etc.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just grabbed a weather-worn book off of my shelf.

It is called Electronic and Experimental Music by Thom Holmes.

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Experimental-Music-Composition-Popularculture/dp/0415936446

It's a pretty fun read, and not very long. It's not very expensive either. It gives a great tour of the evolution of using electronic instruments with music, giving good equal exposure to the instruments, ideas, and composers themselves.

This was also a text used in one of my music classes in undergrad, if that means anything. I think it's really worth picking up and it might give a better sense of that 'consensus' I was talking about in my former post.

Edit:

Hmm, it looks like another edition has come out since I bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-experimental-Music-Thom-Holmes/dp/0415957826/ref=pd_cp_b_1?pf_rd_p=413864201&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0415936446&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0E62P2ZA7NJNGFMCW7KP

I think a used copy of the 2nd edition is the best bargain. I can't imagine too much has changed in the past 7 years, or at least the parts applicable to what we are discussing in this thread.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks everyone for your contributions. My horizon has been broadened - although I actually wanted the subject narrowed down Smile

As I suspected, even here, the views will vary. If one is to take a fully inclusive approach of the disparate views, then the only thing that is not electroacoustic, is music performed purely on acoustic instruments in a live setting with no amplification - in part because one of the often touted meanings of the term is 'amplification of instruments'; there was an age where the idea of electronic mic/amplifier/speaker was considered a pretty radical treatment, after all.

That would make sense in purely technical terms, but then again there is the cultural/historic/stylistic perspectives which is maintained by many.

Unlike the term 'music', which is understandably not to well pinned down, I'd say that 'electro(nic)' and 'acoustic' has fairly well understood and agreed upon meanings by themselves.

So far then, I wouldn't say that this question is resolved to the degree that a certain composer, composition, musician or performance can be labelled electroacoustic and non-electroacoustic with absolute certainty. At least, I still don't feel up to that Very Happy

DJ
--
Jyoti

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow - very interesting discussion! Thanks, everyone!
Perejil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about those pieces that are composed using computers and algorithms and so forth (ie, electronically) but then written down for- and played on- acoustic instruments? (I think Milton Babbitt did some of that but don't quote me on it). Could they be considered electroacoustic?
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The "All Music Guide to Electronica" that I keep on my shelf has a section called "Brief Style Descriptions", where there is an entry on "Electro-Acoustic":

Quote:
Electro-Acoustic music thrives in more unfamiliar territory: the styles that emerge are often dictated by the technology itself. Rather than sampling or synthesizing acoustic sounds to electronically replicate them, these composers tend to mutate the original timbres, sometimes to an urecognizable state. True artists in the genre also create their own sounds (as opposed to using the preset sounds that come with modern synthesizers). In progressive electro-acoustic music, the electronics play an equal if not greater part in the overall concept. Acoustic instruments performed in real time are usually processed through reverb harmonizing, an so on, which adds an entirely new dimension to the player's technique. At best, this music opens up new worlds of listening, thinking, and feeling. At worst, progressive electric artists worship technology for its own sake, relinquishing the heart and soul of true artistic expression.

/Stefan

x_x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had this book under my bed called Introduction to Electro-acoustic Music. I got it from my college library.

It says:
Quote:
The term electro-acoustic music refers to any music that is produced, changed, or reproduced by electronic means.

And it came with this little diagram that should clear things up

electroacoustic.txt
 Description:
chart

Download
 Filename:  electroacoustic.txt
 Filesize:  505 Bytes
 Downloaded:  171 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The diagram taken from the attachment above :

Code:

Electro-Acoustic Music
                    |
          -----------------------
          |                     |
      Tape Music         Live/Electronic Music
          |                              |
     -----------             -------------------------
     |         |             |             |         |
  Musique    Electronic    Music for    Music        Music for
  Concrete    Music          live       for tape     Electronics
               |          electronics   and          and
          ------------                  Instrument   Instruments
          |          |
     Synthetizer   Computer
      Music         Music

Wayne Higgins

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oxymoron
Lux_Seeker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would have to echo many of the responses here. First, while I have not done extensive research on the topic, I suspect the term would have come about in the days of early electronic music. A great deal of music today is electronic or at least electric and sometimes computer generated so the term has lost much of its original meaning.

However, there is a kind of music that continues today that I would say is more along the lines of classical music. If you follow the development of the early greats, many of which appear in the books mentioned here, you will find they have their roots in the avante gard.

Today, you can still find traditional classical music being played with natural instruments but you can also find the music that developed from the early EM or electro-acoustical music composers. You might call this art music or serious music or classical music, take you pick. drawing arbitrary lines does not really make all that much sense these days but clearly there is a difference between what many people do who post to this board (and I do to) and pop music. I would like to believe that some of the old EM spirit is still out there.

One final caveat. Electro-acoustic music is not just computer music, that would exlcude a lot of music that is definitely part of this genre is that is what you want to call it.

John M.
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: