electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
M185 sequencer Project - NEW PCB VERSION
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 36 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
julian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have just looked through my files, and have found this -

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

The last file revision date was march of 2011, so id have to re-check it, but it was a layout i was working on for 22mm rotaries. I thought that this was the dia of the standard, cheap, alpha ones, but ive just looked, and they are larger, so id have to see if i can work out what i was up to all those years ago.

The text on the panel is rotated, but the 5u and euro panels essentially have the same layout.

185rotaries.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  342.29 KB
 Viewed:  409 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

185rotaries.jpg

185rotaries.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  342.29 KB
 Viewed:  420 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

185rotaries.jpg

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://www.thebeast.co.uk/cnc/

PWM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in for two PCB's! Thank you for this run. I wanted to build this sequencer for years.
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

im into this. very interested in a euro panel though

pm en route
julian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ryk,

Will the new boards be identical to the originals, or will the encorporate the add-ons?

One more question -

re: firmware, last time around there were two versions of every panel format to run 2.0 or 2.1, but ive just seen that you wrote a 3.x also.

from a panel perspective, what should i be looking to include?

thank you

julian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been playing with the panel layout, and its certainly going to be possible to get the euro unit to work with the standard multi-position rotary that you see all over the place.

eg -

(or their pcb mount equivalent)

These switches are common, cheap, and have a long and proven history. As a brief example, theyre used in the EDP wasp (which is 40 next year!) and theyre still in production today.

In the next week or so, ill make up a test panel in euro format, to make sure. I will include the per-step portamento switches also.

jondent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: 185 sequencer
Subject description: 185m
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Requested 2 PCBs.
Hope this happens. So excited
julian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The previous euro panel (as pictured elsewhere in this thread) was 40hp.

Expanding this by 2hp allows for the cheap rotary switches above to be used.

This is a very rough mock-up (please note, this is nowhere near finished) -

Last edited by julian on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
elcoco

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

!'m 100% in for a set, this look like such a cool diy project.
julian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im probably going for this sort of styling for the finished panel -

(those ones were cut by me, but not built by me)

I like the knob choice, with the panel colour / line work, so i will probably lay out for those knobs, assuming their compatible.

ppkstat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pm sent Cool
adgee01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PM Sent Cool
adnauseam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, sent a pm to express my interest in 2 pcbs.

Would love to know who's making euro versions as that's the route I plan to go.

Rotary switches or pots - I haven't decided.

-adnauseam
drip.feed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PM sent.

Rotary switches please. They are commonplace in Euro Land now. Smile

kinrat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would be in for 1 pcb
a100user

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="a100user"]PM Sent for a pair.[/quote]

Rotary switches make more sense, easy to obtain and use.

isacsen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PM sent for 2 PCBs. I'm very interested and really hope this happens. Thanks Ryk!
ringroad

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1 for the per-step portamento mod as part of the PCB, if that's possible

nice panels Julian btw
ryktnk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

julian wrote:
I have been playing with the panel layout, and its certainly going to be possible to get the euro unit to work with the standard multi-position rotary that you see all over the place.

eg -

(or their pcb mount equivalent)

These switches are common, cheap, and have a long and proven history. As a brief example, theyre used in the EDP wasp (which is 40 next year!) and theyre still in production today.

In the next week or so, ill make up a test panel in euro format, to make sure. I will include the per-step portamento switches also.

Hello

These switches below are nice and small [ Aplha pot size ]
might be worth thinking of a reduced size planel to work
with these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pc-4-8-Way-Selector-16mm-Rotary-Switch-15mm-Knurled-Shaft-Used-PCB/112073905103?var=412808673416&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49480%26meid%3D696bca458b2a4860bde342cc42a8505a%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D112073905103&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

cheers
-ryk
ringroad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just went to try and order some of those (was hoping to fit them into my slightly oversized 100M clone panels) but it seems like they've only got six left.

I've contacted them through the site to see if they're getting any more in.
ringroad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ignore me, for some reason I thought you'd mentioned the musikding switches Smile https://www.musikding.de/Print-rotary-switch-1P8T

anyway, that's what I'm hoping to use, provided they're getting more in anyway.
adnauseam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Rotary Switches Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've also just found these:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/rotary-switch-1-pole-12-position-alpha-sr2611f.html

Good price!

These from Musicding would be really awesome if there was a Panel PCB being made:

https://www.musikding.de/Print-Drehschalter-1-Pol-8-Stellungen
julian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My feeling is -

I dont think there was one single comment, the first time around, about the panel being too large (this was with the slide switches).

The panel this time, with the larger alpha switches, is almost exactly the same size (2hp difference).

The alpha tiwan units in my photo are about GBP 0.84 each, making the build cost to be a about GBP 16 ish on switches.

A switch costing GBP 3.50 brings the switch cost to about GBP 50 more!

Even if the cost was identical, i would still be tempted to go for the easy to find, proven unit, vs some odd hard-to-get unit. Ive cut so many panels for people where the original designer has used a part availible in their territory, and then the builder, on the other side of the globe, has issues, that i have gotten wise to it with panels that i design - i always like to make it as easy as possible for people with components!

Again, this panel is only 2hp wider than the original that used the slide switches. I dont know - maybe there will be a few people who can not tolerate that, but i think that, given price and the availability considerations, in my mind, the switch proposed wins out.

One additional point for very genuine consideration -

Out of all the people who have shown an interest in the panel, there have been very few (as in as a factor or percentage) who have an issue with the proposed component choice.

Most are fine with not having to spend GBP 50 extra on their build! : )

Again, i like to make things easy for people, rather than cater for an obsession of the minority! : )

All that said, if someone wants me to cut them a panel for whatever choice of switch they want, that is no issue at all - ill cut panels for anyone, for anything! Its just that if im going to to a bulk job to get a good price, im going to try and make things as good for the majority as i can - i am aware that you can not please all people all of the time!

If someone wants to spend GBP 50 or so extra on their choice of switch, they are probably not the person who cares too much about the cost of the panel either, so a more expensive 1-off custom job for them should not be an issue either! I guess maybe I will be able to keep all people happy that way? : )

Ayab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Panel and Control pcb. Such good news!

I have bought some pcb's from Whoop-John before and he is quality.

I think Julian is wise to choose the standard rotaries for the reasons he gives. I have a few things to build and if I didn't order the other rotaries in time and then they became hard to get or super expensive it would be a real pain.

I am hoping by the time this is announced I can get two.

Completely off topic: Went to a gig by the Ozric Tentacles on Sunday just gone - at least their offshoot band known as Nodens Ictus. Stunning musicianship, really enjoyable. Spoke a few words with head guy Ed Wynne, v. nice guy. His son also does his own music and did a support act too 'Silas Neptune' - which was really amazing.

Last edited by Ayab on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
IImyment

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

another pm sent Laughing
Xahdroid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And another Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 36 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: