electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
I love playing with synths
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
herbie321

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: I love playing with synths Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi I'm new to this forum, I thought I'd post a song straight away and hopefully get some feedback. I love playing with strange and lovely sounds and seeing what can be created from combining tones together. i would describe this song as some sort of bemused but epic moment on a far away dusty planet involving noble but misguided peasants and giant flying aliens. If someone has made this scene into a film, call me, I have the sound for it.

A Nautical Sunset.mp3
 Description:
High quality mp3 version

Download
 Filename:  A Nautical Sunset.mp3
 Filesize:  5.05 MB
 Downloaded:  714 Time(s)

Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome. What a lovely track! I'd prefer it without the voices, but other than that it's really good.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
VC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have to say i really really enjoyed this, and your description of it. Keep up the good work. MORE TRACKS PLEASE.
herbie321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: thanks for the replies Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey i'm glad you liked the track.. prefer it without the voices.. thats fair, i originally added them perhaps because i'm not very experienced making instrumental tracks and thought the voice was evocative.
On listening again i notice the buzzy synth which enters on the right at around the 2 minute mark could be mixed down a bit.
More music will be on the way.
I've had a listen to a whole bunch of other stuff on this site, very very cool the diversity thats going on here.
bigtex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually kinda like the voices. Nice track!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

Very nice music... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
billhansen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

has a very floyd vibe to it in a very good way. the voices are cool
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Floyd like in a way, yes I think so too. Nice track !
herbie321

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been really losing it on the softsynths, am losing control actually - not eating or sleeping enough probably. My girlfriend is going to kick my a%s when she gets back from america to find me a golum like creature shriveled and shrinking from light hunched over my midi keyboard.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

herbie321 wrote:
IMy girlfriend is going to kick my a%s

Not too bad actually, I'll have to kick my own which is harder really Very Happy

herbie321

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got to find a way to get paid to do this man. Otherwise it's like trying to snatch every available minute when i'm not at my dull office job just to fiddle with sounds. If a man isn't employed doing what he loves it's like life is squeezing him just to get by. I've bloodiwell had enough.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know several people who have tried to make a living doing music that is not popular. If they don't go into teaching, they end up with a full-time job doing publicity, management, bookings, accounting, etc. Some enjoy that, but others don't.

Charles Ives got a great job (president of New York Life) and used his money to support his own music and other peoples'. Ives' father was an eccentric musician himself. He told Charles that, "If a man makes money from the music, it ruins the music and it ruins the man." I don't think that is always the case, but it is often.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
herbie321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
"If a man makes money from the music, it ruins the music and it ruins the man." I don't think that is always the case, but it is often.

Wow mosc, that's a big call. I know what you mean. There are compromises afoot as soon as money gets involved. I left a really good band because i saw they were to willing to compromise for typically bland tastes. I used to cringe whenever i'd hear something that was clearly created in the hope of pleasing the masses.
But then again, there is plenty of great music for which the creators have been paid as well (to my ears).
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

herbie321 wrote:
But then again, there is plenty of great music for which the creators have been paid as well (to my ears).

Yup, that is true.

My father said,

Money never made a sad heart gladsome,
    but still, I wish I had some.

herbie321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

haha thats right, it seems a paradox. Most of those who have never had money reckon they would be happier if they did and yet most wealthy people that are obsessed with money and have acumulated a lot of it are obviously miserable.
I just want to get paid to do music so i can do more of it instead of having to scrape time together here and there to do it. I'm burning the candle both ends and it's starting to feel pretty taxing. I need some creative film makers to get involved with i think, not worry about the money but build experience doing soundtracks for original concept films. If that doesn't finally lead to getting paid i don't know what will.
Great site mosc, greetings to all involved.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no problem with entertainers, or idealists, but there's a fine line that ought not be crossed. That is, believing oneself to be ideal, while sueing napster users that make you realize you've actually become an entertainer. Or believing onself to be an entertainer, and getting angry at people for not liking your music.

(in general, I consider an entertainer to be one who writes music for the enjoyment of OTHERS, which more often than not involves money. I consider an idealist who writes music for either themselves or the sake of the music, which more often than not doesn't involve money. Money is not part of my definitions, but socially is effected this way.)
herbie321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the end of the day, if someone creates music for the sheer love of music that usually comes through in the music. The Synthesiser to me, represents discovery, the thing in itself is a miracle. I hope people who have played a part in the creation of an instrument capable of producing unique and interesting sounds feel that their work has been appreciated. Lovers of music are lucky in that music is bound to evolve. I don't think bach could have imagined himself composing and creating a composition on his laptop. Then again maybe he did think of it. This started out with the best of intentions but admitledly has quickly become a stoned ramble..better get back to the music
dimitris108

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: I like it Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like your piece.

I think that it has some Greek elements anyway I love it.

http://www.dimitrislambrianos.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
herbie321

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: go the m1 softsynth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks man, although i know nothing about how to play greek music I think one of the sounds near the intro has a traditional greek sort of sound. It's from the korg m1 emulator; such an impressive softsynth. Some of the sounds are dated, i mean the m1 was released around 1988 i think but it's got such variety and sheer quality of sound, the softsynth is a really beautiful thing.
speaking of the korg m1 and wavestation package, what a sweet thing that is. Most of the orchestral sound at the beginning of the track was from the wavestation softsynth. I don't know how to use any sequencers except reason so i record all of my softsynths as standalones directly into adobe audition.

Last edited by herbie321 on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Electrodances

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: YOUR TRACKS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Herbie,
I listened to your tunes and I like them.
Sounds experimental, filmic, partly improvisational I think, and peasantly relaxing.
Take a look at my attachment and URL for further info about my sounds.
Cheers,
Thomas
Munich
http://www.electrodances.net

Of feathers and strings.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Of feathers and strings.mp3
 Filesize:  5.68 MB
 Downloaded:  358 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Thomas, nice piece. Smile
greens

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

man this is awesome. i expected it to be more synthy from what you said, but the synths that are there are what make it awesome.
herbie321

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey, it's all softsynth except the two guitars.
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Jump to: