electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Inexpensive vintage spring reverbs for modular synth usage
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:  Inexpensive vintage spring reverbs for modular synth usage
Subject description: Tube, solid-state, BBD... From the hi-fi world to a Moog panel.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tube:
JVC Nivico Eca-101e (don't know if it's true stereo)
Pioneer SR-101 (true stereo, two short spring tanks)
Current pricing on both: $40-100.00

Seller donramon2 on ebay stores says that they have a Pioneer for $150, if you can't find one elsewhere.

Solid-State:
Pioneer SR-202 (don't know if it's true stereo)
Current pricing: $20+

Found an example of the 202:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFULF-ot_yg&NR=1

Bucket Brigade, if you're into that simulating reverb, should be fun to mod!
Pioneer SR-303
Current pricing: $30+

There are also Sansui and later Pioneer models but I have not researched them and can't tell you anything about them.

Although lacking in variable damping, 17" tanks, and other amenities as found on say an Agonizer or the Modcan, here is your source for a DIY spring reverb module. Or two. Add switchable pre- or post- EQ...

I have an SR-101, and it's pretty quiet, but twangy. I'm going to look at the Buchla schemos to see if he's rolling off the bass at the input to smooth it out.

Last edited by Peake on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DVD player straight into the SR-101- a little level imbalance and more noise than when I used it with the Selector. The source music is Drexciya (how did he spell that?). Obviously this unit must be modded to allow for wet signal out only.

Oh, and an interesting note found online:

"As a reverberation amplifier, it serves its purpose very well. But for those who just want to add a little "valve" sound to their system, it also works as a tube buffer stage. Turn the "Reverb Time" down all the way (removing the reverb tanks from the mix), and you have a nice cheap way to add a little tube warmth to your system for a pittance. The signal still passes through the tubes and it works out very well."

Reverb.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Reverb.mp3
 Filesize:  493.25 KB
 Downloaded:  1881 Time(s)

Last edited by Peake on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Drexciya Smile
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I should have google'd it Smile
Luka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

species of the pod Smile i love that album

i finally got around to getting a Nueral Agonizer Smile
Now i have to get some tanks.

Where do you mount your spring Peake?

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Peake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Both springs are inside the Pioneer, twanging away. I have yet to "modularize" the unit, and will likely put the electronics and springs inside the rack with the other modules.

The Modcan springs sound a LOT better, but you pay for what you get.
oldmanfury

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
Both springs are inside the Pioneer, twanging away. I have yet to "modularize" the unit, and will likely put the electronics and springs inside the rack with the other modules.

Rather than stuffing it behind my modular, I just run the Pioneer's IO to a 1/4" patch panel beneath my setup. I couldn't bring myself to hack it apart - I love the graphical representation of "reverbe time" on the front.

Well worth the $75 I paid at a local pawn-shop. Running sharp attacks through it gets really sproingy, really quickly.

-gerald
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Drexciya Laughing
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:

So this is a tube amp/spring reverb? Will all of the electronics fit behind a module panel? I haven't researched spring tanks or reverbs much yet.

Just wondering, because I'd like to make a spring reverb/VCA module at some point (kinda of putting it off till the end), do you know what type of spring tank is used in the Modcan? I've seen the tanks offered by Doepfer, for instance, and I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a nice, clean sounding tank--if it makes a big difference. Perhaps they both, Modcan and Doepfer, use the same type of tank? I don't imagine there's a real big selection of reverb tanks still being made in these largely digital days.
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
Perhaps they both, Modcan and Doepfer, use the same type of tank? I don't imagine there's a real big selection of reverb tanks still being made in these largely digital days.

still going strong - http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/

cheap spring reverb? pick up a 70's organ or electone off the side of the road, or buy one from the local trading post for $1. The kind of thing granny used to have. Many of them have accutronics tanks in them. The only problem is how to get rid of the big pile of crap leftover, once you have extracted the tank (and its accompanying cct board)
Peake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
So this is a tube amp/spring reverb? Will all of the electronics fit behind a module panel?

Yes! True stereo, two channels of tubes, two springs.

No! The unit's guts are too large and heavy to go behind a module.

twang
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The one I had in mind, offered by Doepfer, is here.

Pretty expensive, relative to a dollar organ, but it looks very compact.

springreverbs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.98 KB
 Viewed:  29544 Time(s)

springreverbs.jpg

Peake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, are those RCA jacks? That is TINY...and $300.00 for stereo. Pretty good sounding too:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/springreverb/springreverb.mp3

My frustration with expensive devices led me to the hi-fi items; some may not take that route, but there they are for all us cheapskates Laughing

The BBD version might be interesting for hot-rodding, however...
Peake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's one currently up for bid:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/68xvfu
wooster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
The one I had in mind, offered by Doepfer, is here.

Pretty expensive, relative to a dollar organ, but it looks very compact.

You can also buy new accutronics tanks from guitar parts stores for < $30. I'm probably going to go this route. I think I might try building something similar to the Paia Hot Springs, which has two tanks that cancel out some of the sproing. I also want stereo, so that would mean four tanks...
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wooster wrote:
I think I might try building something similar to the Paia Hot Springs, which has two tanks that cancel out some of the sproing. I also want stereo, so that would mean four tanks...

anybody tried the interfacing the hotsprings to modular synth levels? can it be run as-is, or do you need to drop the levels to keep from overdriving the reverb, and then boost them again after (might get noizy)?

b

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one is quite nice.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://www.synthesizers.com/q115.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Peake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, but that's $272.00 for a pair (not so bad for you Euro folks due to Bush's continuing destruction of the US dollar/economy). Roger also sells blank panels for $12.00 (http://synthesizers.com/q131.html) which are lighter than the original Moogs, and have that powder-coating...; STG sells blanks with the old-school process for $20.00 (if only it didn't have his logo on it!!! http://www.stgsoundlabs.com/products/blank_mu.htm).

My post is for DIY'ers, you know, this is the DIY forum Wink

Of course, if you wanted to go the luxury route, re-creating the Buchla 275 is by far the best way to go, with all of that VC... Very Happy
creatorlars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got a Tapco 4400A Dual Spring Reverb that's rackmounted in my modular case. It sounds great... you get two channels with separate 4-band EQ. Inside are 2 tanks. Overdriving it sounds crazy, and with the EQ's you can really get some extreme sounds. From what I understand, they are pretty cheap (~USD $100) when you can find them.

tapco reverb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.02 KB
 Viewed:  415 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

tapco reverb.jpg

Peake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oldmanfury wrote:
Peake wrote:

Rather than stuffing it behind my modular, I just run the Pioneer's IO to a 1/4" patch panel beneath my setup. I couldn't bring myself to hack it apart - I love the graphical representation of "reverbe time" on the front.

Well worth the $75 I paid at a local pawn-shop. Running sharp attacks through it gets really sproingy, really quickly.

-gerald

Kudos on being ahead of the curve! You're still using the original tanks? Did yours require any adjustment? Mine is a bit heavier on the left channel.
Peake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

creatorlars wrote:
I've got a Tapco 4400A Dual Spring Reverb that's rackmounted in my modular case. It sounds great... you get two channels with separate 4-band EQ. Inside are 2 tanks. Overdriving it sounds crazy, and with the EQ's you can really get some extreme sounds. From what I understand, they are pretty cheap (~USD $100) when you can find them.

Sweet- I haven't seen one of those in years, and not in that condition! Congrats!

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqc3NELU3cc&feature=related
andrewF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want to fit a spring reverb behind a 1U panel try Chuck's - smallest ever and sounds great. From memory there were 2 springs in there. Sorry I don't have a link (it's my photo) but if we ask nicely he may provide some more info.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:
If you want to fit a spring reverb behind a 1U panel try Chuck's - smallest ever and sounds great. From memory there were 2 springs in there. Sorry I don't have a link (it's my photo) but if we ask nicely he may provide some more info.

I don't know who Chuck is, but I really like the size of this tank. The smaller the better, as long as it's not sacrificing sound too much. Is this a product he sells, or something he has designed for DIY?
andrewF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chuck is a Japanese synth diy-er, so it is not a product.
I had a listen to this reverb at the 2007 Japanese synth summit and was very impressed. No idea about the circuit but it looks like just in&out plus some level and drive pots. Maybe the main point is that size doesn't matter (too much)?
I could ask and see if he has some design info available.
The Electronic Peasant has some page on constructing spring reverbs from scratch.
http://www.electronicpeasant.com/projects/springs/springs.html
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a dutch guy working on a cheap diy spring reverb.

http://www.synthforum.nl/forums/showthread.php?t=99463
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: