electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Piano
Piano for the masses
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Dadooronron Ron

G2 patch files: 21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Piano for the masses Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a piano patch. It vaguely sounds like a piano, hence the name.

Cheers,

Ron.

Piano!.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Piano!.pch2
 Filesize:  2.34 KB
 Downloaded:  1866 Time(s)

Rix

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 25

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Piano for the masses Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not bad at all!
So far I think it is the best synthesized piano patch I heard on the Nord.

Knowing how difficult it is to synthesize a piano sound, and being spoiled with Rolans stereo sampled grand cards...

It is a bit nosy though, so if you would suppress the mid range and enhace the low and high, it would even be better.

Richard
Zebulon

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool Smile

It sounds like a lo-fi, baby piano...Thanks, I like it very much !
Dadooronron Ron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for looking at it. It does sound a bit nosy, doesn't it?

Also, I can't seem to get rid of the buzzy "no-piano-at-all"sound in the lower regions. Very frustrating. So please improve. I'm sure that many of you will have great ideas that I will never think of.

By the way, did you notice the reverb module just before the output? It should be on. (Duh...)
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quite an interesting patch. Pretty simple but in the mid an upper registers it really does sound like a piano. I was expecting an electric piano, not an acoustinc. The lower registers sound s big like a bassoon, though. Still, mixed in with a bunch of other sounds in an ensemble, this would be pretty convincing. Thanks...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zebulon

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just had the idea of adding a little chorus for a watery, honky-tonky effect...

Piano! Chorused.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Piano! Chorused.pch2
 Filesize:  2.45 KB
 Downloaded:  1590 Time(s)

Dadooronron Ron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Slightly altered version; made the hammer action a bit more "expressive" (pulse filtering is now altered by key velocity). I didn't dare messing too much within the voice area because of the polyphony.

Also made some rediculous constructions in an attempt to give the lower notes some more "bong" instead of "zong".

Zebulon, unfortunately I haven't been able yet to listen to your patch (I won't bother you with the tedious story about the quirks in my "floppynet") but I'm working on it and I'm happy to see you let your light shine over it as wel.

Thank you for that,

Ron.

Piano!2.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Piano!2.pch2
 Filesize:  2.76 KB
 Downloaded:  1640 Time(s)

jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is undoubtedly the best piano that I've heard on the G2, but it still n.eeds work. I especially like the way you've implemented the sustain pedal

My tin ears tell me that this sounds like a real piano covered by a blanket.. which makes me think that judicious EQ would solve a lot of the problem; but I'm not good enough with EQ to be able to fix it. So far. And the nasty string oscillator noise is hard to tame.

So in other words, good job!
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my modified version: it cleans up the noise problem and makes the sound brighter overall.

The key to the sound, amazingly, is the driver pulse: its width and filtering both have a dramatc effect on the sound. I changed the filter slope to 18 dB/octave; 24 db also sounds good.

Deep bass range still sounds lousy, though; needs more work.

GrandPiano.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GrandPiano.pch2
 Filesize:  2.71 KB
 Downloaded:  2077 Time(s)

Dadooronron Ron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zebulon, I finally listened to you chorussed version and I must admit that ,although it's very much not "au naturelle", it does sound a lot better.

Especially this dreaded lower region benefits from the chorus. So far, I think your piano is the most useable.

Jamos, you're right. The hammer pulse has a great effect on the sound.
In one of my "lab-testing-versions" I've also tried some more elegant string-damping (instead of the envelope thingie) but it ate too many voices.

I do feel the key thing to a decent piano sound is the wet filter (as described in J.Clark's Nord Modular Book) which gives this patch it's woody feel. Unfortunately the sound coming out of it is a bit dull.

But we keep working on it, don't we?

Thanks guys,

Ron.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Piano
Jump to: