electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Advanced Sync for the VC Master Clock
Page 3 of 3 [63 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Fonik, it sure would be cool to have these two circuits combined on one PCB. Although I had a hard time doing so, I held back on buying any of your original PCBs for this very reason, no sync. But, with sync added on, this would be a perfect little utility board.

What do you think, sound like a good idea? Any chance of that happening?
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diablojoy could do it!?
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
diablojoy could do it!?

damn i was just about to say mathias could do it and that it would be fine by me
seriously though a small perfboard is easy to add if all you want to add is a sync function to a single cct. I am fairly sure it could be acheived with a FET and a couple of resistors and maybe a simple one shot cct to drive the FET hard on with short duration pulses if you take a look at the MFOS VCO core thats where i got my inspiration from originally .
though my implementation was completely different it has the same effect of shorting out the timing cap at regular intervals.
if i were to consider it i guess i could draw up a full clock board
with sync but i doubt very much that there would be enough interest now for such a board run to be viable of course i could be wrong ? more than a few expressed interest in sync . not everyone is into etching their own boards of course.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't mind etching if u guys dont mind posting your layouts.
whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have finally gotten to re-connect my dual VC clock with the sync board today and have run into two issues:

1. Although components are identical, one clock runs much faster than the other one.
2. When connecting an LFO to the Sync input, the VC clock's PW goes to almost full open and disregards the PW POT position.

Not sure whether #1 is related to the sync board, but probably #2 does.

Any hints?

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
diablojoy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
When connecting an LFO to the Sync input, the VC clock's PW goes to almost full open and disregards the PW POT position.

hi whomper
I tested that board fairly thoroughly before sending it so it should be ok
hmm do you mean pulse width is near 90% on or you get only a short pulse duration ?
what is power supply +-15 or +-12volts ?
also couple of things to check straight up
the polarity of the wiring to c2 of the clock boards is important the diode on the sync board must go to the +15v side of c2
also did you build clock boards with 22R or ferrite beads for F1/F2 ?
as i did have some fuss there, cant remember now if that particular sync board had 22R or just straps in place so you could check that too [should be straps]
that particular sync board had a DG412 so the blanking ccts need
an input or the +5v via switching jacks or switches for a correct output

as good an answer as any
whomper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi diablojoy

I am getting %98 PW on when the PW is at its lowest position and 100% on when i move the pot a little.
Have beads on the VC clocks boards.
Using 15v.
Have the board with DG413, but left everything in tact, even the two 22K resistors that where on board, though the schematics indicates I should remove them. (tested the board without them, no change).

diablojoy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DG413 ok you can leave in the 22k if you dont wire off to the switching jacks

Quote:
I am getting %98 PW on when the PW is at its lowest position and 100% on when i move the pot a little.

right then definitely check polarity of the wiring to C2 that sounds like what i got when it was reversed or
also possibly change out ferrite beads on the clock boards for 22R
and check that there are straps on the sync board
i had quite a bit of trouble with the DG chips not switching signals near their rail voltage correctly hence the added diode drop in the switched path
as there is +15 v on one side of C2 on the clock board but i also had to use 22R on my clock boards and straps on the sync board
for F1/F2 to get it working consistently

as good an answer as any
whomper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did some more testing:

1. The >95% is attributed to the inserted clock signal, which was a wide pulse from an LFO. I thought that the sync board would trim it down to a pulse and use it only to trigger, but for some reason (maybe by design) it uses the incoming clock pulse duration for the outgoing clock duration. The PW knob has some impact, but clearly there is a relationship between incoming clock pulse width and outgoing clock pulse width.
2. If the internal clock speed is faster than the incoming one, there will be no syncing and the resulting clock will be as fast as the internal.
3. Have left the master/slave panel switch off and in an open state, i.e. the two pins are not shorted together. Does it make a difference?

diablojoy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
. The >95% is attributed to the inserted clock signal, which was a wide pulse from an LFO. I thought that the sync board would trim it down to a pulse and use it only to trigger,

it should the sync board should only send a short pulse under 5 mSec not the full width of the incoming lfo so there is something very wrong there.
There is a cd40106 based one shot cct in there to take any rising edge and create a short pulse from it, this short pulse goes to the logic pin of the
dg412 to momentarily short the associated C2 on the clock board to achieve sync

Quote:
2. If the internal clock speed is faster than the incoming one, there will be no syncing and the resulting clock will be as fast as the internal.

there should still be syncing occurring though depending on rate you may need a scope to see it you should see a slightly wider pulse in sync
and some narrow pulses that are extra dependant of the internal rate setting. a dual trace scope really helps to see this at faster rates
Quote:
3. Have left the master/slave panel switch off and in an open state, i.e. the two pins are not shorted together. Does it make a difference?

should not make any differance

hmm re check your wiring from the sync jacks and blanking jacks and the associated outs the blanking cct does not include a one shot cct so if they were mixed up by mistake that may give that result

as good an answer as any
diablojoy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whomper how have you fared with this any further progress ?
did you manage to get it running ?

as good an answer as any
whomper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did not had a chance to look at it due to tons of work...

will re-wire all links today evening and report back.

Thanks

NuttyMonk

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

i was trying to get a sync setup working on the Fonitronik VC Clock.

When the Saw wave gets down to 0V the comparator IC1B triggers the discharge of C2 so i thought that would be an easy way to mod the schematic. Just by shorting Pin 5 on IC1B to ground it shorts the capacitor C2 and restarts the cycle.

Works well in simulation. Am now about to try it on the breadboard as an On/Off switch. I am also considering how to short Pin 5 on IC1B to ground using an input signal of 0-5V square wave converted to a trigger. I'm not good with transistors so am considering just using a single SPST IC switch instead which i do understand.

Maybe that will help anyone else trying this.

Cheers

NM
Page 3 of 3 [63 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Jump to: