electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
How to Choose the right Capacitor
Page 2 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rogerlatur wrote:
I mean why not always using a capacitor with the highest voltage value?

Size and price.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rogerlatur wrote:

Now what I don't understand is why using 25v when 50v can handle more voltage ? I mean why not always using a capacitor with the highest voltage value ?

No reason not to use a higher voltage rating than necessary, but for size and expense.

When the voltage rating is exceeded, they don't always immediately explode. Some will be fine when used at a voltage higher than identified on the can, but beware, the explosion can happen after a long time, even after years. I built a power supply that I used for two years before the capacitor exploded. It worked fine until then. I didn't use the wrong voltage rating, I accidentally wired in up backwards. Embarassed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
caffeine_addict

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in the process of converting designs to use SMD components, (I'm starting with The Peasants Synthbend for a controller), and am currently stuck on the capacitors. Ray Wilson's Single Bus Keyboard controller circuit calls for a .01uf Polycarbonate or Polystyrene Cap, but it seems in SMD that those two materials (As far as I have found anyway) don't seem to be an option.

I'm wondering how the other film types compare for Sample and Hold circuits, films like PPS and PEN seem to be the most readily available, are they suitable replacements?

Sorry if this is a newb question, I've been scouring the internet for days trying to figure it out, and I'm just not reading anything that makes sense to me sorry.

I know I could just use through hole and be done with it, but I like a challenge, and it tickled my fancy to make an SMD modular.

Thanks in advance.
ablablablablabla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Choose the right Capacitor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
Slightly older reference, but still holds it's water. Has some very good descriptions about various types of Caps, and when to use them.

http://home.comcast.net/~wjungieee/wsb/Picking_Capacitors_1.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~wjungieee/wsb/Picking_Capacitors_2.pdf

i'd like to read those...

Evil or Very Mad
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Read a couple more posts in the thread (till you reach http://electro-music.com/forum/post-99544.html#99544 .. the links there seem to still work) Laughing

Oh, and welcome of course.

ablablablablabla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Read a couple more posts in the thread (till you reach http://electro-music.com/forum/post-99544.html#99544 .. the links there seem to still work) Laughing

Oh, and welcome of course.

oh, yeah.. lol.

and thank you, glad to be here. been lurking for a while and didn't know where to drop my 1st post so i thought a quick brainless one would be the best.

hello!
Rolling Eyes
VA1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Size, check the dimensions, if it dont matters then i choose the highest, they last longer.
J-chot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All the links are dead now...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Messy eh .. I found 'm "somewhere" .. and I'm going to commit a coyright crime by just uploading 'm here ... Shocked

These seem to be the original ones.

Picking_Capacitors_1.pdf
 Description:
picking caps 1

Download
 Filename:  Picking_Capacitors_1.pdf
 Filesize:  1.95 MB
 Downloaded:  540 Time(s)

Picking_Capacitors_2.pdf
 Description:
picking caps 2

Download
 Filename:  Picking_Capacitors_2.pdf
 Filesize:  1.14 MB
 Downloaded:  470 Time(s)

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jan!
I love vintage stuff Laughing
Though they were printed in 1980, I think a lot still is valid, but one must take into account that there a at least "some" improvements made in 40 years Wink

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After 39 years, maybe fair use law applies. The sources are cited directly in the attachments. When we are contacted by copyright holders we almost always take things down promptly; so read and memorize. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
J-chot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission in these matters...
Page 2 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: