electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
electro-music.com is in peril
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: electro-music.com is in peril Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Our site is in trouble. Our host provider, iweb.com, has been sold and new management has made some tough decisions. Here's the story:

Our server is being shut off on August 30. It runs Centos 6.4
iWeb has given us for one month a new larger server running Centos 8
We must migrate to a new server either on iWeb or some other provider by the August 30 deadline

The only admins are myself and Blue Hell (Jan). We both are getting on and we have health problems of various sorts. The software on this site has a lot of self-made or modified open source programs. It will be a big challenge for us to migrate somewhere by the August 30 deadline.

I'm now working to copy all of the site's data, including all of the music that's been uploaded over the last 20 or so years to a safe place. This has happened suddenly. I haven't even had a chance to talk to Jan about it yet. I'm posting this now to let our members know what's going on.

If you have any linux skills, or PHP, or have suggestions on server hosting companies, or you can help in any way with system admin duties, or money to get us some professional admin help, please post something here, or PM me. Meanwhile I and Jan will muddle though but the site could be going down on Aug 30 for who knows how long.

Last edited by mosc on Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be happy to contribute some cash to help save the site
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:

Thanks, Jez. Mike Hunter made a suggestion to start a go fund me or something like that. I have no idea how to do that. I'm going to try to raise Steve Mokris. He may have the skills to help or give advice on this kind of thing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RD O'Dub

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: In Trouble Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll be happy to help with $$$$. Also, you might look into Dreamhost for hosting.
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
modulator_esp wrote:

Thanks, Jez. Mike Hunter made a suggestion to start a go fund me or something like that. I have no idea how to do that. I'm going to try to raise Steve Mokris. He may have the skills to help or give advice on this kind of thing.

it looks pretty simple

https://www.gofundme.com/create/fundraiser/category

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be useful to have a target/goal amount to aim for
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: In Trouble Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RD O'Dub wrote:
I'll be happy to help with $$$$. Also, you might look into Dreamhost for hosting.

Thanks, RD. Thanks for the offer to help with money.

I live in Durham, BTW. Been here for about a year. Are you a participant on the Triangle Syth Party? It would be good to meet you in person sometime.

djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Mike Hunter made a suggestion to start a go fund me or something like that. I have no idea how to do that.
If you go to the GoFundMe site at https://www.gofundme.com/ and click the green Start a GoFundMe button, they'll probably walk you through it. Like Jez said, have a target amount in mind.

If you need some cash, I'm here for you.
I assume that the I.R.S. might think of this as personal income.

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: electro-music.com is in peril
Subject description: Yikes
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Our server ... runs Centos 6.4
iWeb has given us ... one month [to migrate to] a new larger server running Centos 8
Due to the highly modified open source code used by electro-music.com, are you saying that migrating from Centos 6.4 to Centos 8 will require a (massive) coding effort?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Spreading the Word
Subject description: Facebook Sucks

I started sharing the post on the radio.electro-music.com FB group but FB has stopped behaving. I'll continue my efforts at spreading the word later. (I'm at work right now anyway.)

So far, I was able to share this on a small handful of FB Pages. But when I tried to share to the Twyndyllyngs Page, FB started getting goofy on me. When I can, I'll share on more Pages and then start in on some FB Groups.

mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I’ve been a member since the beginning this cannot happen .
I’ll be happy to donate to a go fund me page .
We must keep the forum alive !

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

Was away for a couple of days helping my mother out a bit .. and also the weather was slightly cooler there Exclamation

Seeing a slight panic emerge now ...

Wondering how much work it will be to port stuff over.

Or maybe make a more "modern" site?

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh no Shocked

hmm yeah first order of things would be to make sure all the data is stored somewhere safe.
If it can be uploaded in a way that it at least can be viewed that would already be great.
Might already be on internet archive but that's not very browsable.

I like the current layout and styles and the way radio and streaming is integrated but a big overhaul is probably inevitable.

I doubt I could help in anyway when it comes to behind the scenes coding but if there are some things that
need to happen that are just tedious to do I can lend some of my time.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm trying to spread the word too
synthbaron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm on another medium size and usage database-driven forum like this, and the admin had to recently move the hosting. He ended up trying one of the cheapest shared Hostgator (https://www.hostgator.com/web-hosting) plans (I think he ended up paying about $120 total up front for 3 YEARS worth), and the forum has run the fastest it ever has without any crashes. Previously it had been on expensive dedicated hardware or VPS.
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm here too, to help in any way I can.
audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm here to do what I can.

I have a hosted server with Hetzner. 4 TB space (more can be added), plenty of bandwidth. Server OS is Ubuntu. I offer the use of my server at no cost to electro-music.com, and I would grant root access to the admins, as I trust you guys.

Whether it's on my server or elsewhere, as a server admin for my own projects and web sites, I offer to help with admin stuff as well. And I could help with coding. When I worked full time in IT, I loved working with PHP.

And I'll gladly chip in some money if that's set up.

Any and all of the above, just let me know. Smile

And hey, I have a functioning mail server that works with multiple domains. If that's useful...

Last edited by audiodef on Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
stokes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Peril
Subject description: electro-music.com is in peril

I went through something similar a few years ago - my website hosts pulled the rug from under me and I was forced to upgrade my personal PHP site by several major versions, it was a ball-ache because I found many functions were deprecated and I had to re-write most of it using the object orientated syntax. This was a relatively small website (like a mini eBay for my son's school charity events) but I don't think there was a single php page that didn't require remedial action in order to get it working.

I am a software engineer by trade (for the last 28 years) and if I have one piece of wisdom to share, it's that these jobs take a lot longer than you estimate, every time!

You haven't got long, so I would consider starting fresh with a well established out-of-the-box forum system. Spend a few weeks configuring that and testing it. Migrate existing users if possible. Once that is live, work on porting old content across or at least indexing it so that it can be searched in a read-only manner.

My corporate career does not use PHP, but I do use Linux, and my personal website has given me some PHP experience. Happy to help out where possible. I don't post much here but have been a member for many years, and still use my G2 and Micromodular so appreciate the value of this important site.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - I completely understand this is a major undertaking, and if you are suffering from poor health you've got to put yourself first and not let this be an additional stress.

Adam

Last edited by stokes on Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
tremolo3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not an active user but saw this posted on a Facebook group.

Linux sysadmin here with broad experience on web app migrations from legacy environments to cloud.

Also, a happy Nord Modular user Smile

I work fulltime for a Canadian company at the moment, but I will be more than happy to assist on the migration in a weekend.

Send me over all the specific details so I can give you an estimate of resources based on the amount of work that needs to be done.

If it helps, here's my LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ramonsolistijuana/
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Billl and Mike, thanks for your support. Things are starting to happen with AWS, Amazon Web Services. I'll know more early next week.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Over the years I have been writing a lot of stuff for spam detection .. the captcha .. the radio .. the wiki ... mostly PHP, some javascript . it just happened over the years and it is pretty much add-hoc stuff all.

I have no need to stay at the center of things .. am open for retirement ... will help of course to get things moved, changed .. whatever needed .. not sure I'd be able to do it myself, all.

This site is unique and it should survive the facebooks & what-have-you-s Cool

Anyway .. awaiting the AWS things now I guess ...

adamon

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yo peeps, I’m here to support however I can. Not much help on the coding side of things, but definitely willing to pitch in any other way.
audiodef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hetzner has a nice server auction. You'd get a dedicated server, probably for less than AWS, and full control. Mine is $30/mo, 32 GB / 4 TB / Core i7. Prices vary, it's an auction, but I have not found a better deal. Hetzner whitelists their IP addresses, as well, which is a bonus. They have OS install images, including CentOS.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, great post by people who can code and hack PHP. Also moral support is tremendously appreciated too. Just posting you care is more valuable the one would imagine.

Some thoughts:

Starting fresh with new software would be more work that we could handle because everything is integrated with the phpBB forum version 2 which is very much customized by us over the past 20 years.

Fixing PHP deprecation errors isn't hard, but very tedious. Once we get copied over to the new server we'll see how bad things are. I'm not too worried about PHP but new Apache and MYSQL may be more difficult. Fortunately the radio stuff is running on the latest version of Shoutcast software. The NINJAM server isn't used by anyone but Twyndyllyngs so we can run off of our own dedicated server at my house.

Many people working on the same thing can be a disaster, but it can be done. Taking time and space on this forum topic with tech details during the migration may discourage general participation. So I'll set up a separate topic soon for technical teamwork. If you have Linux admin skills and PHP chops to lend a hand, please post here and I'll announce the migration team topic soon.

An AWS architect has volunteered to do what he can to help. If he can get a server set up for us then we're off to the races. AWS is a huge company. It will probably be the most stable platform, and quite possibly the cheapest.

Gianni is setting up a GoFundMe site for the nonprofit TE-MPO, The Electro-Music Performers Organization, to raise tax deductible money to help the operation of electro-music.com,, and to later support concerts, festivals and such. I'll post a link when that's up. Thanks, Gianni.

audiodef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have Linux admin skills and can work with PHP. I'm down for whatever, however I can help. Smile
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: