electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Drum & Bass patches
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Drum & Bass patches Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am currently working on a Drum and Bass tune that I am really enjoying. Now I just need some huge bass line or sometimes referred to as 'roller' patches I guess though I am not sure how specific that term is.
Often in this context I hear sometimes some sorts of pitch modulation over time on the envelopes or something too. I havent had much luck creating my own though. Anyone have any time and care to post a simple example perhaps? I have found a few patches in the archive that were just more of the distorted pad type and not as much on the deep bass side. Or if anyone has ideas of where to start that would be cool too! Thanks Razz
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about the factory patch SlowBass FM4

It's 1:22 on my machine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the basic "roller" sound is based on long notes with a big envelope on the filter cut-off but also a BPM synced lfo to the cutoff.

The envelope's attack should probably rise about as fast as the AMP envelope, decay fairly quickly for a brief (16th note or so) bright start followed by the pulsing modulalation of the lfo that slowly die out thanks to the filter envelope's decay.

Further evolution inside of the sound can be acomplished by more envelopes set do modulate parameters like the relative volume of oscilators.

The thing that probably needs most care is the syncing of the LFO and how it relates to other rithmic elements in the song. Setting it to the same timing as yout highhats gets a more militant feel while offsetting it to go inbetweent he hats maight make for a more bouncy vibe. Of cource that can be varied over the cource of the piece and forms inbetween might create a lot of drive. The relation between the Attcak and decay settings of the amplitude and filter envelopes on one hand and the exact shape and period of the lfo will also be quite important. LFO sync is absolutely nesicary but you might want to go as far as mapping some CC to the phse offset for musical developments.

Jason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for all the info , yes mosc that is a good patch to start with thanks, just need to add some pitch mod to it maybe not sure.
Well Kassen thanks for all that info, though I am looking more for a pure sine bass tone that doesnt depend on sync in terms of lfo in this example of a very simplified 'roller', but this is also very good info you give here thanks, and I totally have to experiment with that too. I should have been more specific, but there are really many DnB tones I am after not just this. There are so many aspects of DnB I have always loved but it is hard for me to create my own original sounds at times. Rolling Eyes
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmmm but maybe the LFO sync is what is needed for the pitching of the sine tone? Or you could use the envelopes to do this too? For that initial pitch from high to low? Not sure.... Must experiment more. Thanks again!
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try 2 saws detuned a fair amount, maybe with a little bit of fm for that beating effect. Filter this down a fair way with a little or no rez and then saturate this to taste. Now, after distortion take out the sub frequencies completely with a 48db highpass set to 70 or 80. Then you want a dry sine wave tuned down into the sub frequencies, to mix in with the distorted sound right before output. The reason for this is to keep the bottom end clean, but still with the character of the rest. It's hard to get the balance of these right, so play around a bit. I know Kassen doesn't like the idea of a big subby bottom end Wink, but if it's going to be played in a club with a decent system, you'll definitely be able to feel/hear the subs and you don't want your track to be missing these, especially with drum and bass, as it will sound alot weaker than the other tracks being played. Drum and bass is allll about the bass.

Also try adding in a couple more filters (band or highpass) with their own distortion and envelope sweeps. LFO's can be nice... maybe turn kbtracking on 100% or 75% to keep that beating effect accurate to the pitch. Also, depending on what kind of sound you want, you don't necessarily have to sync the lfo to tempo. I find it syncing looses any kind of groove you could have gotten from the lfo. Play with the frequency until you find something that works well the bassline itself, that makes it drive harder or work better with the drums. You can also try hooking up the keyboard module's gate to the reset of the lfo every key stroke to maintain some kind of predictability when you're still playing around with it.

Hope some of this is useful...
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow afro88, that is very helpful!
Here is my first attempt. Keep in mind modular stuff is very new to me so my patching may not be logical etc... lol
The saw detune trick is really important for some of these patches ,
I think I was mistaking this sound
for pulse width modulation though surely that is used at times as well.
This patch seems like an ok start though it still is a ways off I think.
Anyway , if you could give me some feedback on this patch I would really appreciate it! Thanks folks Very Happy
General Elektrick

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is a bass patch I used in some tracks.

Why not make a pimp my "drum n bass" bass collection.
Everybody gives one and we will have a nice bass moster library.

Anybody? transformer

bassmonster.pch2
 Description:
Heavyly pimped bass sound - evil 8 varis
some us the weel ....

Download
 Filename:  bassmonster.pch2
 Filesize:  3.74 KB
 Downloaded:  1572 Time(s)

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.
Afro88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason, you're right, pulse width modulation can be used too, just depends what kind of sound you're after.

That's a really nice patch Elektrick! Clean and squarey, I like it Very Happy

Here's my attempt from a while back...

D+B Bass-fixed.pch2
 Description:
fixed version

Download
 Filename:  D+B Bass-fixed.pch2
 Filesize:  2.22 KB
 Downloaded:  1521 Time(s)

Last edited by Afro88 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Jason

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 thanks again so much for the tips and this nice patch too, its awesome! It is really a great deal of help. General Elektrick , I like your patch alot too. It sure would be cool if people posted some more DnB patches here. If & when I make more I will post some. Some drums too would be nice. I think that the G2 should be able to make some nice snares too for DnB.
General Elektrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one,
Afro

I like it !

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.
Afro88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ouch! Sorry, I uploaded the wrong version - the sine wave should be tuned to -36. The post is updated above with the fixed version Embarassed Embarassed
General Elektrick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
Hey afro,
thats even more D&B Style

BSE|Milan

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still dont have a g2, but that will change soon ! Smile

Not sure if this is the bass sound you are looking for ... but i like em dirty :X
this is a more or less a jump up style bass and it might even give you a good reece too Smile

made a few variations check em out

enjoy

Milan

Jump Up.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Jump Up.pch2
 Filesize:  2.12 KB
 Downloaded:  1030 Time(s)

Afro88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FAT! Variation 4 is my favourite...

Get yourself a G2 asap and keep the patches coming dude! Wink
General Elektrick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool!

mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BSE|Milan wrote:
Still dont have a g2, but that will change soon ! Smile

Not sure if this is the bass sound you are looking for ... but i like em dirty :X
this is a more or less a jump up style bass and it might even give you a good reece too Smile

made a few variations check em out

enjoy

Milan

HEFTIG!! Smile
I really like var 1

welcome by the way!
BSE|Milan

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Wink

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: