electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Acoustic
Plucked String
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Plucked String
Subject description: physical model
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's an elaborate plucked string model. The controls are pretty self-explanatory.

plucking: transient shape, force, stiffness, position
string: tuning, loss, absorption, harmonics
damper (on key release): speed (with optional release velocity sensitivity, yes sir Cool), stiffness, HF and LF damping

The nice thing is that many of these parameters should be controlled by keyboard tracking and/or velocity. And here's where the G2 shines: just hit those morph buttons and tweak away! Smile

I used comb filters instead of log-tracking delays. The extra DSP usage doesn't matter, because I would hit the memory headroom otherwise anyway. And the bonus is: zero tuning issues Cool. A voice uses half a DSP, both in cycles and in memory, so that's 15 voices from an expanded G2, or 7 from an unexpanded one.

There are some nice tricks in there, like filling the delay line with exactly one cycle of the excitation signal, and using delays as allpass filters to induce spectral dispersion on the strings (the "harmonx" parameters). The benefit compared to using "real" allpass filters is that the tuning remains constant (...mostly Wink). There are some nice inharmonic dispersions you cannot get with this, but as the G2 lacks real allpass filters anyway, it's the only solution. (Robs allpass filter and the MultiFilter allpass mode both have unity gain issues Confused)

All variations filled, and optimised for keyboard performance (which is where the joy of physical modelling lies anyway Wink.)

Enjoy.

best,
tim

PluckedString TK.pch2
 Description:
elaborate plucked string physical model

Download
 Filename:  PluckedString TK.pch2
 Filesize:  3.86 KB
 Downloaded:  2786 Time(s)

cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice job, tim!!!

also, isn't the 6 dB BP output of the 'Filter Multi-mode' a real allpass?
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:
also, isn't the 6 dB BP output of the 'Filter Multi-mode' a real allpass?

I only know that it is unusable for spectral dispersion within a waveguide, because it isn't exactly unity gain. It's a tad more, making feedback loops blow up in a nasty and painful way.

I attached a small demonstration patch: An allpass-mode MutliFilter in a feeback loop (inverted, because the allpass output, for some reason, is inverted too).

Inject a short pulse into it to make it blow up: "Eeee!". Watch your ears!

I don't know if this is 'correct' allpass filter behaviour. I doubt it.

Robs neat allpass is much better. It's actually "usable" in a waveguide. But its output is a tiny tiny tad below unity gain, so it dulls out the resonation somewhat.

Using this kind of allpass filter (instead of a delay line) produces more inharmonic dispersion, which can be nice for more "ethnic" sounding stuff. But it mucks up the tuning too.

allpass funk.pch2
 Description:
watch your ears!

Download
 Filename:  allpass funk.pch2
 Filesize:  1022 Bytes
 Downloaded:  2145 Time(s)

Chet

G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting this. I'm gonna have to take a look at that allpass filter; it sounds really good, and like you said, doesn't mess up the gain. I was able to make a neat-sounding marimba with only a couple of knob twists.
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is amazing, Tim. Good polyphony, too - thanks!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent. Thanks, Tim...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:

Robs neat allpass is much better. It's actually "usable" in a waveguide. But its output is a tiny tiny tad below unity gain, so it dulls out the resonation somewhat.

Tim, can you tell me where I can find a description or example of Rob's allpass filter? I'd like to experiment with it.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chet wrote:

Tim, can you tell me where I can find a description or example of Rob's allpass filter? I'd like to experiment with it.

I'm not Tim, but, nonetheless, try this topic, http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-5684.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Howard. I tried it out and it does what Tim described, although the gain was sometimes appeared a little more than unity. But it's definitely much better-behaved than the Clavia-supplied allpass filter.

I can easily get some neat ethnic sounds out of it. But like Tim said, it tends to skew the tuning of fundamental pitch, so some compensation is necessary.

Thanks again.
seanwayland

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: guitar Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi tim ,
excellent werk . Is it possible to set a velocity threshold somehow. Below the threshold keystrokes just "detune" the patch , above the threshold it " replucks" the string . That way you could possibly control playing legato and staccato . Another option would be for it to work like a hammond organ and "detect" legato playing ( when a key is pressed while another key is still down ) . I will work on this . It would work only work in mono I guess ...
cheers
sean
kara

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds excelent !
It's way above my knowledge of programming the G2X, so thank you very much for sharing this.

k

Music forum at www.kara-moon.com/forum
seanwayland

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi tim ,
Hope all is well. I have been experimenting with your guitar patch . I put an ADSR at the end to make it legato . At this point if a key is held down the next note pressed plays staccato without the ADSR. Is there a way to reverse this which would make more sense from an articulation point of view . I want to be able to play legato or staccato with lines ... please email me seanwayland@gmail.com thanks
best regards
sean

wheel att guitar.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wheel att guitar.prf2
 Filesize:  9.82 KB
 Downloaded:  1465 Time(s)

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I emailed you.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Acoustic
Jump to: